2 replies to this topic

#1 k_koraitem

k_koraitem

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hello everyone, well after many years of neglect and absence I think I'm finally going to get back into buidling my own PC.  My old PC died about 6 months ago and lets just say that it was first built in 2007 and outdated to the point that updgrades would essentially cost as much as a brand new one from scratch.

So here's what I have in mind so far:
NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card 04G-P4-3774-KR
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-850 850W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector ...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm

A few things to consider on this setup
1. I do plan on overclocking.
2. Mabye doing SLI in the near future
3. This is mostly for X-plane & FSX but I am also going to be playing other games (Ex BF4, Assasin's Creed, Cryisis...etc)
4. Photo and video editing on this rig is also on the agenda maybe even a CAD program of some sorts.
5. Too my knowledge, FSX doesn't take advantage of multi-core/hyperthreading unlike X-plane correct?
6. Multiple monitors in the near future also possible.
7. Regarding the liquid cooling, I'm looking at the Corsair H55 but how does it compare to the H100i?  Is the H100i worth it? Again keep in mind of the OC I plan on doing.

All togehter I'm looking at $1550 USD (maybe an extra 10-50$ for shipping) from Newegg  any thoughts or concerns?  I'd really appreciate the help since I honestly haven't kept up to date with PCs in almost 3 years; therefore I'm playing catch up with what is out in the market.  The last time I built a PC, first generation intel dual cores where considered new and a lot of people still had single core pentiums and AMDs.

Edited by k_koraitem, 09 February 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#2 AlexKitch

AlexKitch

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'd definitely go for the H100i cooler. I've seen people struggle with load temperatures with the 4770k on the H50. I'd suggest considering the H80 but if you're going to be overlocking then the CPU will thank you for sparing as little expense as possible, to be honest.

The rest looks good, though!

Edit:  FSX does take advantage of multi-core CPU's, but just not as well as one might hope. Run Bojote's tweaking tool at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html to get the best possible multi-core performance from FSX. Old fashioned, simple CPU clock speed is FSX's primary thirst, I'd say - the more the merrier.

Edit edit:  As an air cooled alternative, consider the Dark Rock BeQuiet Pro 2.  I use this badboy to (effortlessly) cool my i7 2600k overclocked at 4.8GHz.

Edited by AlexKitch, 10 February 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#3 k_koraitem

k_koraitem

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Alex,  I already placed the order through NewEgg hopefully though I can call them up to make changes on the cooler since it hasn't been shipped out yet. I'll take your advice to heart.  Cough up an extra 20-50$ or watch a $340 processor burn before my very eyes.....hmmmm what's more economical?

Also tagged with custom pc, new pc, fsx, x-plane