59 replies to this topic

#21 flare

flare

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

http://www.tomnod.co...aysiaairsar2014 - Help find it, DigitalGlobe have supplied the imagery.

#22 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostIndependence76, on 11 March 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

Wouldn't some less advanced military radar still be able to get a raw picture of the aircraft's track?

This is something I'm still learning about but, as I understand it...

If the system is comprised of secondary surveillance radar only (which relies on that transponder being on), then no, it wouldn't. Again, this is without knowing the actual systems they use but it would explain the possibility of it being completely invisible to Malaysia's civil ATC.

At the end of the day, I think Malaysia is going to have some serious questions to answer. Maybe it's just me but it seems like their coordination between domestic agencies and foreign agencies has been pretty dismal. For them to take this long to figure out that they think the aircraft might have turned back and actually made it across Malaysia to its western coast is horrendous. Every day that goes by where they cannot find a single clue in the disappearance leads to more and more people losing faith in their efforts.

With the latest revelation that it did make it to the Straight of Malaca (even if that's to be trusted), I cannot think of anything that would cause such an event other than malicious intent by someone on the aircraft (pilot, passenger, etc.).

Edited by LA_PHX, 11 March 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#23 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Complete idiocy at this point: http://online.wsj.co...0MDEwMTExNDEyWj

Nobody knows who said what or what is going on.

#24 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

To be fair, the WSJ is owned by News Corp. Which in turn doesn't provide any decent news coverage.

#25 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

According to CBS News, US investigators are there but Malaysia isn't letting them help:

http://www.cbsnews.c...ng-plane-probe/

#26 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Possible lead here: http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

#27 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on 11 March 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

To be fair, the WSJ is owned by News Corp. Which in turn doesn't provide any decent news coverage.

Not a day goes by where I hear people jump on the "Fox News is ######" bandwagon. All of our media is either biased or inaccurate nowadays. Other networks aren't that different. Besides, CNN is the worst anyways.

View PostLA_PHX, on 12 March 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

According to CBS News, US investigators are there but Malaysia isn't letting them help:

http://www.cbsnews.c...ng-plane-probe/

Things are getting worse in terms of an "organized, professional search and investigation" over there by the day.

I cannot think of anything that would cause such an event other than malicious intent by someone on the aircraft (pilot, passenger, etc.).

A bombing is the most likely possibility if this was indeed deliberate.

Some people have theorized hijacking, but we already knew details which make this extremely unlikely. The Captain was passionate, enthusiastic, and probably knew much of the MAS cockpit security rules by heart. His massive experience increases that probability. The First Officer had let two women in the cockpit in 2012 and was likely suspended from operations for a few weeks or threatened with legal action if he did it again. His Captain likely had a by-the-book personality and would have never let anyone on the flight deck that was clearly unauthorized. You have a strict and sharp Captain and a First Officer that was scared to lose his job if he attempted the same thing again. All of this was behind a post-9/11 bulletproof cockpit door installed in the plane's delivery in May of 2002.

#28 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Keep in mind, upper management was "shocked" to hear the FO previously let pax onto the flight deck during operation. The girl didn't say anything about the incident at the time so the company wouldn't have known about it and apparently the crew even smoked during the flight...keep in mind the source. http://www.dailymail...light-2011.html

#29 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

Fact is, John, I've been complaining about Fox for as long as you've been alive, and I don't watch the dipsticks on CNN either. CNN, WSJ, Huffington Post, Fox News, Daily Mail, et al. are all the same trash.

Edited by SwitchFX, 12 March 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#30 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostLA_PHX, on 12 March 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

Keep in mind, upper management was "shocked" to hear the FO previously let pax onto the flight deck during operation. The girl didn't say anything about the incident at the time so the company wouldn't have known about it and apparently the crew even smoked during the flight...keep in mind the source. http://www.dailymail...light-2011.html

I still don't see the Captain remotely allowing this on his airplane.

#31 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Ah yes, I heard about that except what I heard was more lewd than that article reveals. So the FO enjoyed getting his mojo on. I don't see how an isolated event and rumors of the FO smoking while on the job pertain to the accident, but it's the "news."

#32 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

It doesn't, and the story on the Captain for this flight would lead one to believe nothing of that nature would occur with him. Just noting the inconsistencies in John's narrative.

And here is the latest Jon Ostrower is reporting: http://m.us.wsj.com/...NDMyWj?mobile=y

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if this plane is in tact somewhere. With the amount of time they have been searching the Gulf in the area it originally lost contact, you'd there would have been debris popping up by now to indicate it went down there rather than flew on for some distance. It seemingly becomes more clear that Malaysia is utterly incompetent in the investigation so saying the plane stayed in the air undetected for quite some time honestly seems plausible. China has every right to be pissed off.

#33 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

(Here's the non-mobile link: http://online.wsj.co...434653903086282)

#34 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Jeez, this is almost like looking for a needle in a needle stack that's buried thousands of feet below the surface of the sea...But what I'm wondering is why the Civilian ATC did not bother sending out a sort of "B.O.L.O" for MH 370...

#35 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

View Postshamupilot, on 13 March 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Jeez, this is almost like looking for a needle in a needle stack that's buried thousands of feet below the surface of the sea...But what I'm wondering is why the Civilian ATC did not bother sending out a sort of "B.O.L.O" for MH 370...

First off, if it did indeed crash in the original search areas, which now seems suspect, we aren't talking about thousands of feet. Relatively speaking, the area is quite shallow (we're talking a few hundred feet). If there were large chunks of plane sitting at the sea floor, they'd be much easier to find than the main wreckage of AF447.

Second, we know by now that the Malaysians have handled this extremely poorly so it wouldn't surprise me if their actual search efforts were delayed, although I don't recall an official time when aircraft and ships were dispatched out to search areas.

Edited by LA_PHX, 13 March 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#36 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

There still doesn't seem to be anything remotely conclusive... :( This is both tragic and quite scary.

#37 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

View Postflare, on 11 March 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

http://www.tomnod.co...aysiaairsar2014 - Help find it, DigitalGlobe have supplied the imagery.

I've tried this but I find it frustrating. Unless I'm doing (or not doing) something wrong.  
1. You are just given a random map of part of the sea so have no idea which part of the sea you are searching. I'd like to be able to zoom right out and see some land mass so I could relate to the area I'm searching.
2. The map zoomed in says 20 metres, but there are maps that are clearly showing cloud tops?
3. Can't we just download the whole map rather than adding one tile at a time!

#38 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

The USS Kidd has been dispatched to the Indian Ocean. The Kidd caries about 3 helos with MAD booms on the tail end. I believe a regular plane is also going to be dispatched with boom. I could understand 3 days of not finding anything, but the constant statement and denial of having made said statements by Asian authorities is irritating.

I can't say I'm surprised with their behavior.

Edited by SwitchFX, 13 March 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#39 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on 13 March 2014 - 05:23 PM, said:

The USS Kidd has been dispatched to the Indian Ocean. The Kidd caries about 3 helos with MAD booms on the tail end. I believe a regular plane is also going to be dispatched with boom. I could understand 3 days of not finding anything, but the constant statement and denial of having made said statements by Asian authorities is irritating.

I can't say I'm surprised with their behavior.

What did you expect? I'm with you though, this is ridiculously frustrating for the aviation community and the families and all everyone wants right now is the truth...

#40 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Would there exist some kind of algorithm that you can process large sat images of ocean and it detects any pattern that isn't clouds or waves? (ships, wreckage, etc;) and then a human operator would only need to look at everything the algorithm took out instead of look at large portions of sea manually. I mean, we have phone apps that understand speech and recognize songs and Facebook recognizes people on new photos even so I'm sure that'd be possible.

Edited by niteye, 15 March 2014 - 02:43 PM.