4 replies to this topic

#1 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Hello everyone, I recently went on a small rafting trip out to Oregon to raft the North Umpqua River. Enjoy the pictures from my trip over there!

Having trolled the internet for some cheap deals on some flights to Eugene, I stumbled upon Allegiant and Alaska. Unfortunately Allegiant didn't have any direct flights on the days I was looking for, so Alaska it was. Alaska had put us on a three part journey to Eugene first flying to Seattle from Las Vegas. Then from Seattle out to Portland and then from Portland out to Eugene.

Part 1: Alaska Airlines Flight 603 KLAS-KSEA
Departs: 7:00 am
Arrives: 9:15 am
Aircraft: Boeing 737-400 (Ship 799)
Gate: E14

I had to wake up at 4:30 just to get to the airport on time. Not much was happening at McCarran at 5 in the morning, other than some minor shops open. Even the Tarmac didn't really get started until 6:30.

Posted Image

Our ride for today. Flightaware stated that it was a Boeing 737-800, but when I got onboard, it was a Boeing 737-400. Why is that?

Posted Image
Neighboring Alaska 737-800 (Sorry for the blurriness, I was tired and couldn't hold my ###### camera still.)

Posted Image
United 757-200 N513UA headed for LAX

Pretty soon it was time to board. The Gate Agent did state that today was going to be a relatively light flight. Unfortunately, I wasn't assigned a window seat and had to stay in my aisle seat until after we had taken-off.

Before take-off however, we were slightly delayed due to the fact that we had to take on a little extra fuel. According to our pilots, severe weather had taken a hold of the area around SEA and that we might be in a holding pattern. They'd update us with more information.

After take-off, luckily for me, the set of seats next to me was empty and I quickly sneaked my way across the aisle.

Posted Image
My New seat.

Posted Image
Ahh, much better.

Posted Image
Cruising at FL 360

After we reached cruising altitude, the seatbelt sign was turned off and refreshments and snacks were served.

Posted Image
Two bags of Honey Mustard Pretzels and a can of sprite

Partway through the flight, I noticed we had a little friend flying with us

Posted Image
Can't make it out.

Luckily the plane got close enough for me to take a very blurry photo of it.
Posted Image
An Air Canada Rogue A319?

After that, nothing really big happened afterwards, I just sat there bored, and took some photos.

Posted Image
Blanket of clouds

Soon enough, we began our initial descent into SEA. However, as the pilots stated earlier, we would have a little trouble getting and were in a hold pattern for a good 15 minutes before descending further.
Posted Image
Descending

After 15 minutes, we did manage to finally descend through the thick clouds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Anyone know where this is?

Posted Image
Hello Seattle!

Posted Image
KBFI?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Touchdown!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Heavy Rain in SEA

After deplaning, I headed straight for the next flight

Alaska Airlines Flight 2127 KSEA-KPDX
Departs: 11:30 A.M.
Arrives: 12:20 PM
Aircraft: Bombardier Dash 8Q-4000 (N434MK)
Well, I made it to the gate an hour ahead. Most of the planes around us had been delayed due to the weather surrounding SEA. I luckily had my ipod and some free wifi so I could monitory SEA ATC to make sure that nothing new popped up.

Posted Image
Boise State Plane that was a little late in taking it's passengers out to Edmonton.

Posted Image
Frontier A319 (No registration, the rain obscured it)

After an hour, the Gate Agent announced it was time for boarding.

Posted Image
Our plane today N434MK

It was surprisingly cramped for my first time on a Dash 8, but I didn't expect too much. I was surprised it was a fairly full flight today. No window seat, unfortunately.

The pilot came on the PA and announced that the weather on our way to PDX was going to be fairly bumpy and service was suspended for the flight. After a while, we pushed back, safety briefing complete and we were on our way.

There really wasn't much to see out the window, so I passed out for a while and woke up just as we were descending. Landing was fairly smooth, but that's about it.

We deplaned shortly and I got a few decent shots with my ipod

Posted Image

Posted Image
Neighboring Dash 8. I wonder who it is...

Posted Image
Oh it's N438QX

Posted Image
Shot with my Cannon

Posted Image
Our plane Milton G Kulolt II

After that, I decided to get a quick lunch and head back to the gate. It was another good hour before our next flight showed up and most of the Horizon flights were packed into a very stuffy and crowded waiting area. Another hour went by and the gate agent finally called our flight to board. We walked out on to the ramp, where, surprise, surprise, it was raining, but, I was in for a little treat.

Alaska Flight 2643 KPDX-KEUG
Departs: 2:40 PM
Arrives: 3:19 PM
Aircraft: Bombardier Dash 8Q-400 N414QX

Posted Image
Who could this be?

Posted Image
Hooray! A special livery! Brought to you by San Diego State University

http://i.imgur.com/Bx0Iaby.jpg
Aztecs

http://i.imgur.com/dMhH7We.jpg
Our plane for today, N414QX

No window seat...again :mad: but luckily the window was big enough for me to catch this shot after take-off

http://i.imgur.com/i50lJ85.jpg

And after take-off, I fell asleep for the short 25-minute hop to Eugene. Before I knew it, we had already landed and begun deplaning.

http://i.imgur.com/9ALDzKH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RRPjt1x.jpg
Bye N414QX!

And that's it for this part. I hope you guys enjoyed it! Thanks for viewing! Part 2 is coming soon!

Edited by shamupilot, 31 July 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#2 shamupilot

shamupilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Oops, didn't let me post all the pictures:

Posted Image
Aztecs

Posted Image
Our plane for today, N414QX

No window seat...again :mad: but luckily the window was big enough for me to catch this shot after take-off

Posted Image

And after take-off, I fell asleep for the short 25-minute hop to Eugene. Before I knew it, we had already landed and begun deplaning.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bye N414QX!

And that's it for this part. I hope you guys enjoyed it! Thanks for viewing! Part 2 is coming soon!

#3 MrSteve

MrSteve

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Love it, thanks for something a bit different.

#4 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Nice trip report!

Regarding FlightAware being incorrect:

Airlines are regularly changing equipment and FlightAware doesn't always pick up on it. They also, for whatever reason, only manage to capture some of our ferry flights that US Airways does and I've yet to figure that out.

#5 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Fantastic, been a while since there's been a TR here!

By the way, the Frontier shot is an A320, the reg is N223FR ;)