• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Had a wonderful time in Aruba doing absolutely nothing but drink beer and soak up the rays. :)

The best thing was flying on the beautiful 787 though B)  :plane:

#2 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:55 AM

It's great fun to fly on. I was seated right over the wing both times I flew on it (TUIB/IC) and you got a real feel for the size of the wing, not to mention the sheer amount of wingflex.

#3 Tim.

Tim.

Aviation Hotshot Dec-Feb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

How did you find the 787? In the videos it sounds very quiet.

#4 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Lucky you. Do tell us how the plane was. Is Aruba all it's cracked up to be?

#5 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

To be honest, it's much like flying on any other airliner. A bit quieter and much larger windows with a fancy dimming system. (Still need to find out how that works).
Plenty of leg room for my 5' 10 frame and In flight entertainment was good for a holiday airline.
Only minus point for me was that you had to pay for drinks. I've not been on one long haul flight that doesn't serve them free but I understand Thomson will be offering this as of November.

Was Aruba all it's cracked up to be? Well it met with our expectations but it's bloody expensive!. Didn't see much of the island mind. The plan was always to sit around for 2 weeks doing absolutely nothing :) (apart from drinking copious amounts of Balashi on the sun drenched white sandy beach).
We're looking at going back next year so will see a bit more then.

#6 Iain_

Iain_

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

The dimming system is quite interesting, there's five different settings from darkest to brightest and there's a fading transition between them. My outbound flight had some sort of crack in the dimming layer, still worked fine though:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_Q4bkUAVuAw

#7 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostJetset, on 04 September 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

To be honest, it's much like flying on any other airliner. A bit quieter and much larger windows with a fancy dimming system. (Still need to find out how that works).
Plenty of leg room for my 5' 10 frame and In flight entertainment was good for a holiday airline.
Only minus point for me was that you had to pay for drinks. I've not been on one long haul flight that doesn't serve them free but I understand Thomson will be offering this as of November.

Was Aruba all it's cracked up to be? Well it met with our expectations but it's bloody expensive!. Didn't see much of the island mind. The plan was always to sit around for 2 weeks doing absolutely nothing :) (apart from drinking copious amounts of Balashi on the sun drenched white sandy beach).
We're looking at going back next year so will see a bit more then.

Tip for you. In my time of travels, specifically island and or tropical nations, I've come to realize that the hotel and the near vicinity of stores often have a partnership to levy heavy prices against tourists. You could be a Dutchman and still get shafted. Best to take aside a concierge and give him a large-ish note and ask him to give you the details on where you can buy supplies and drink for cheap. Usually it's a tiny store in the middle of nowhere or a regular store hidden away from public view only the locals know about. I've seen Balashi just once on a restaurant menu here. Thought it was Japanese...

#8 Jetset

Jetset

Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Alex my old friend........We were well savy enough for that. Supermarket was a 20 min walk away and cab drivers waiting to take you back for $7
12 pack of Balashis were $18. :)
Still expensive considering it's their local brew!

#9 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

Bloody ###### that's expensive. Clearly the Arubans have taken after their land grabbers and love the green stuff.

Edited by SwitchFX, 06 September 2014 - 11:33 PM.