#1 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hello,

My daughter is asking for flight lessons for Christmas (she's only 13 so I know it could be a passing fad)

We agreed that as I could only afford maybe one lesson it wasn't a viable option. So we agreed on software for her PC and relevant hardware.

I am totally lost as to what is the best out there. From what I gather there are few recent packages. I've noticed Flight Simulator X (Gold edition) would this be the best software to purchase? It seems relatively difficult to get hold of. Also I've noticed flight sticks and you can pay a pretty penny for the best but I'm thinking going for the cheaper ones and if she really enjoys it then upgrade at a later date.

Any advice from experts would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Gary

PS I'm in the UK :D

#2 b757

b757

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:32 PM

First, welcome to the forum! You will enjoy it here. So for flight sim, FSX, Prepar3d, Xplane are viable options for learning how to fly. The academic version of P3D is $59. I believe FSX has more missions associated with learning to fly. I personally have switched to P3D as development continues by Lockheed Martin and it continues to get better. I have not tried out the latest version of XP so I have no input on that sim. Most everything that is developed for FSX will transfer over to P3D and there is even a migration tool to help with the transition. P3D is also a digital download so it is super easy to get and they have a 60-day money back guarantee. For flight sticks, I use the CH yoke and petals, but there are many options. I know a lot of people enjoy Saitek products as well. You are correct in getting something relatively cheap to start off and gradually increase the hardware complexity later. There are many stores online with lot of sim related products so just google. I'm sure you will have more questions as you begin the process, so don't hesitate to ask. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here!

-b757

#3 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:14 PM

Welcome to the forums!

FSX is a good simulator but it is very old (released in 2006) and can sometimes be a pain to make work properly, so for a new simmer I might recommend starting with either Prepar3D or X-Plane, as b757 has suggested. X-Plane has a free demo you can download to try it out if you wish. http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/home/

Also, a company called Dovetail Games bought the rights to FSX and later this year will be releasing FSX on Steam, presumably with some minor bug fixes and updates. http://www.dovetailg...launch-on-steam If you are not familiar with Steam, it is the leading online game/simulator distribution platform for computers, so it will be easy to get a copy of it when it comes out! X-Plane is also sold on Steam. http://store.steampo...com/app/292180/

As far as controllers go, the best affordable option is the $30 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. http://www.amazon.co...gitech attack 3 I have been using it for years and they are solid joysticks for the price. If you want something more expensive, I would look at the Saitek X-52 or the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.

Good luck and happy flying!

Edited by Buziel-411_RED, 06 November 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#4 HardyRexion

HardyRexion

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't been back sooner as I thought I was going to get email notifications of any replies.

Sound advice. One question on the hardware side, is it worth getting one like this?

Edit:

Also, is the $59 a per year cost? and do you download it direct from their website?

Edited by HardyRexion, 17 November 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostHardyRexion, on 17 November 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't been back sooner as I thought I was going to get email notifications of any replies.

Sound advice. One question on the hardware side, is it worth getting one like this?

Edit:

Also, is the $59 a per year cost? and do you download it direct from their website?

That looks like a good joystick and the reviews seem positive, but I don't have any experience with it personally.

The $59 is a one time cost, none of the current flight sims are using a subscription based model. :)

Also tagged with Best software, software, hardware