#1 cfjv40

cfjv40

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

if i build an i7-4770k processor with a geforce 780 sc 3gb ram

does it really matter if I get 8 or 16 gb of ddr ram? i realize timings are a factor as well as speed of ram. however, i've read that fsx will not benefit from having more than 8gb of ram. is there any validity to this? i will only use the pc for fsx and no other photo or video editing stuff.

i also plan to get orbx, other add on sceneries and weather engines etc. but wonder if i'd be wasting money by getting 8gb x2 instead of 4gb x2. thanks!

#2 Fabio_Leal

Fabio_Leal

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

16 gb DDR3 1600 !

#3 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

8GB of RAM is sufficient. FSX itself is only capable of using about 4GB due to it being a 32bit program, which leaves another 4GB for background processes and other programs. 16GB is not necessary.

#4 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

It really depends. If you multi-task and do video editing, 16 GB is advisable. Though that depends highly on how much it will cost you instead of 8 GB. Sometimes you can purchase 2 8GBx2 kits for less than the cost of a 16 GB kit. Anyone outside the casual computer user will quickly find themselves limited by 8 GB. With Chrome now coming in 64 bit, Opera as well, and soon to be Firefox, 8 GB will come and go quickly. Additionally it helps in Photoshop and other programs that frequently address RAM due to in program actions. I myself went with 32 GB in my last build, and found it to be not enough and bought a 64 GB  kit for "cheap", about $110-120 cheaper than what's available now. I haven't updated that RAM spec in my sig, but you can refer to it to see the current build.

I personally prefer Corsair brand because of their warranty and hassle free support. Though you'll pay a brand premium with them. Any RAM from G Skill, Corsair, Samsung, etc. will do well. Realistically, most RAM and separately, but in the same theory, most flash chips are made by only a few companies then distributed out.

Now granted you won't be doing any editing, 8 GB will be fine. I'm not sure how long DDR3 will stick around before DDR4 becomes more mainstream, but RAM for your processor will get more expensive as time goes by as production winds down. So if you can get a decent deal for 16 GB now whether as one whole kit or two 8 GBx2 kits, then I'd splurge a little just to be on the safe side. Today's processors can last 4-5, maybe six years before needing replacement. It isn't like jumping from first generation Core 2 Duo to the current i7/i5 lineup.

Also, if you can afford it a little more, I'd go with a 970 GTX. According to various reports, not on FSX, but other games, nVidia seems to be artificially limiting via drivers. Outside of the brute power difference, the results in games between the two cards tend to exceed what the hardware is capable of doing. Additionally, if you want an SSD, I'd aim for the MX100 in 512 GB flavor. It's a fast drive and it dominates most of the SSD market and only gets beaten by the Samsung Evos, which use 3 bit NAND tech. It's reliable, but I wouldn't use 3 bit NAND in any project - personal preference. You could score the MX100 for $185 on a good day with a sale, as opposed to paying $220-225 on it at retail. Though that's for the US and Canada. I can't speak for the UK or the rest of Europe.

Edited by SwitchFX, 31 January 2015 - 11:22 PM.

#5 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on 31 January 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

Anyone outside the casual computer user will quickly find themselves limited by 8 GB. With Chrome now coming in 64 bit, Opera as well, and soon to be Firefox, 8 GB will come and go quickly. Additionally it helps in Photoshop and other programs that frequently address RAM due to in program actions. I myself went with 32 GB in my last build, and found it to be not enough and bought a 64 GB  kit for "cheap", about $110-120 cheaper than what's available now. I haven't updated that RAM spec in my sig, but you can refer to it to see the current build.

Hmmm, using over 32GB of RAM then I would say you are much more than a "casual" user. :P

If you are doing lots of editing then I agree that maybe going with 16GB would be a good idea, but even with only 8GB I have had zero issues running FSX loaded down with addons, lots of background programs such as Active Sky Next, TrackIR, multiple PDF charts, FSX Google Earth Tracker, Mumble, Steam, etc, with many Chrome tabs open and without touching any of my normal background processes or Windows services. So while the RAM would be beneficial for video editing, it isn't going to help FSX/Prepar3D at all unless he is running some very demanding background programs. :lol:

#6 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on 03 February 2015 - 12:51 AM, said:

Hmmm, using over 32GB of RAM then I would say you are much more than a "casual" user. :P

If you are doing lots of editing then I agree that maybe going with 16GB would be a good idea, but even with only 8GB I have had zero issues running FSX loaded down with addons, lots of background programs such as Active Sky Next, TrackIR, multiple PDF charts, FSX Google Earth Tracker, Mumble, Steam, etc, with many Chrome tabs open and without touching any of my normal background processes or Windows services. So while the RAM would be beneficial for video editing, it isn't going to help FSX/Prepar3D at all unless he is running some very demanding background programs. :lol:

Very true. Actually, I had totally forgotten that to get Chrome x64, you needed to install it from a separate installer made available via a link on the Chrome download page. Script heavy pages sans flash can eat through memory. I'm having some major issues with Steam crashing though, which I'm willing to bet is driver related. I'll be honest, with video cards I'll install a driver set and never update it because they're so finicky. Currently waiting on Firefox 36, since 34 and 35 seem to be buggy.

Edited by SwitchFX, 04 February 2015 - 08:06 PM.

Also tagged with performance, scenery, realism, ddr ram