#1 NGAviator

NGAviator

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hello fellow aviators.

Since a few months I've switched from using Windows to Linux (Ubuntu)
I had always been very much into Microsoft flight simulator (2004, X)
Although I did take a large break in flight simming due to all sorts of priorities.

I know Flight simulator X doesn't run on Linux, aswell as so many other games.
I could use Wine, but I'm confident that's going to cause all sorts of performance issues and I expect many mods would present quite the challenge for them to be successfully installed so I decided I should forget thinking about using FSX on a Linux computer.

In my opinion that leaves... either Flight Gear or X-plane. (if there are other alternative Flight simulators, please specify)
I have no experience with either of the Flight simulators, although X-plane 10 does seem to be a little more popular.
As for that, I see no Flight gear subsection around on this community. Perhaps because it's a little less popular or intended for specific groups of end time users.

I would however stress that I desire a fully impartial opinion on both products by anyone that's willing to advise me hence forth (unless one only has advice about one of the particular simulators)

My demands are simple-

-Realism (above all)
-Able to install plugins
-Multiplayer support that works within Linux (either build in or through third party software)
-Graphics/performance

And by that I mean that graphics software does tend to run a little slower then I'm used to on Windows. I would like for the sim to atleast look alike vanilla FSX with good framerates. Does any of the available Flight simulators work well on open source graphics drivers? If not, the propriatary graphics drivers for my Videocard are sometimes better but may underperform depending on what game or program I'm running. I know flight simulator software mainly stresses a CPU. But I already found that in the least GPU stressing video software (games) things can get quite hairy on a linux machine.

I hope I can get some decent responses so I can make up my mind about this.

Edited by NGAviator, 31 July 2015 - 09:06 AM.