Jump to content


- - - - -

Microsoft Flight Simulator announced!


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

    Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,039 posts
  • Location:KDFW

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

https://www.polygon....e3-2019-trailer

Looks pretty awesome! It is coming out in 2020 for PC and Xbox.

#2 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Darn you. I wanted to post this but couldn't remember my password. I had been considering a new workstation build but kept clocking my current one to get more use out of it. It looks like I don't have an excuse to put off building one any longer. Provided Micro$oft don't mess this up again.

Maybe FSW might see a resurgence in posts apart from Aharon's.

Edited by SwitchFX, 10 June 2019 - 11:27 AM.


#3 Max.

Max.

    Airline Transport Pilot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  • Location:Bristol (EGGD)

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

Just noticed this today, it seems very promising and it's certainly going to expose the simulation hoppy and community to a whole new generation which can only be good. We may see a resurgence here to go with it.

I do remain slightly sceptical however, Microsoft Flight springs to mind!

#4 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:12 AM

View PostMax., on 10 June 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Just noticed this today, it seems very promising and it's certainly going to expose the simulation hoppy and community to a whole new generation which can only be good. We may see a resurgence here to go with it.

I do remain slightly sceptical however, Microsoft Flight springs to mind!

Don't blame you for being skeptical, Maximilian. I'd say each and every one of us was swindled with Microsoft Flight. Looked amazing, was utter crap in reality. My only hope is that multi-thread and core support is here. FSX came out in 2006 when multi-core processors were very new and no one knew if they'd be around in a few years or even 13 years now. Unfortunately, my theory has been proven wrong in the past with some games such as Far Cry 5 which uses one core and is speed bound. Then again, it's developed by Ubisoft, which I have a love/hate relationship with. Need I remind anyone of AC Black Flag's garbage performance?

Edit: Did the site change domains?

Edited by SwitchFX, 12 June 2019 - 02:18 AM.


#5 MattGarner

MattGarner

    Airline Transport Pilot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Location:Manchester (EGCC)

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

I shall leave this here: https://hasflightsim...releasedyet.com

View PostSwitchFX, on 12 June 2019 - 02:12 AM, said:

Don't blame you for being skeptical, Maximilian. I'd say each and every one of us was swindled with Microsoft Flight. Looked amazing, was utter crap in reality. My only hope is that multi-thread and core support is here. FSX came out in 2006 when multi-core processors were very new and no one knew if they'd be around in a few years or even 13 years now. Unfortunately, my theory has been proven wrong in the past with some games such as Far Cry 5 which uses one core and is speed bound. Then again, it's developed by Ubisoft, which I have a love/hate relationship with. Need I remind anyone of AC Black Flag's garbage performance?

Edit: Did the site change domains?

Which site? This site? It changed domains a while back as they seemed to have gave flightsimworld.com to Dovetail Games when they decided to launch that. But then Dovetail Games gave up on the idea.

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft Flight Simulator turns out.

Edited by MattGarner, 12 June 2019 - 09:50 AM.


#6 Max.

Max.

    Airline Transport Pilot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  • Location:Bristol (EGGD)

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on 12 June 2019 - 02:12 AM, said:



Don't blame you for being skeptical, Maximilian. I'd say each and every one of us was swindled with Microsoft Flight. Looked amazing, was utter crap in reality.

Thankfully I was more than happy with my FSX setup at the time and had no desire to purchase it, that would have been perfectly good beer tokens completely wasted.

#7 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

View PostMattGarner, on 12 June 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

I shall leave this here: https://hasflightsim...releasedyet.com



Which site? This site? It changed domains a while back as they seemed to have gave flightsimworld.com to Dovetail Games when they decided to launch that. But then Dovetail Games gave up on the idea.

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft Flight Simulator turns out.

This one. I didn't know it changed domains. About 2-3x a month I run an extension that checks my bookmarks and deletes them if the site is dead or corrects the domain if there's a forward. Dovetail sounds familiar but I'm afraid I don't remember any games they've made.

View PostMax., on 12 June 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Thankfully I was more than happy with my FSX setup at the time and had no desire to purchase it, that would have been perfectly good beer tokens completely wasted.

The last purchase I made was from Orbx. It was a Lancair and some scenery that Mango on another forum convinced me to buy. That was exactly 8 years ago. And I did enjoy both immensely. However, my interests withered and I found myself replaying the AC games, and I still find them terribly exciting compared to over a decade plus old bit of software. P3D is cheap if you get the cheapest licensing option but each time I've read about the setup time, I've put an upgrade off. XPlane 11 as wonderful as it seems just doesn't have the community behind it, IMO.

That said, my dual GTX 770s are woefully outdated for modern triple-A titles anyway. I don't expect Intel to come out with an answer to AMD until 2022 or 2023, so I'll bite the bullet and go with a high end AMD build. A 5% difference won't convince me to spend an extra few hundred quid on Intel, especially as it's likely more security holes will come out. If they can come out with something like Core from 2006, they'll get my money. That's going to be anywhere from 25-35% IPC increase over the competition.

I can't deal with Intel's latest marketing strategy. A ###### dick swinging contest.

Edited by SwitchFX, 12 June 2019 - 05:49 PM.


#8 MattGarner

MattGarner

    Airline Transport Pilot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Location:Manchester (EGCC)

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:32 AM

View PostSwitchFX, on 12 June 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

This one. I didn't know it changed domains. About 2-3x a month I run an extension that checks my bookmarks and deletes them if the site is dead or corrects the domain if there's a forward. Dovetail sounds familiar but I'm afraid I don't remember any games they've made.


The last purchase I made was from Orbx. It was a Lancair and some scenery that Mango on another forum convinced me to buy. That was exactly 8 years ago. And I did enjoy both immensely. However, my interests withered and I found myself replaying the AC games, and I still find them terribly exciting compared to over a decade plus old bit of software. P3D is cheap if you get the cheapest licensing option but each time I've read about the setup time, I've put an upgrade off. XPlane 11 as wonderful as it seems just doesn't have the community behind it, IMO.

That said, my dual GTX 770s are woefully outdated for modern triple-A titles anyway. I don't expect Intel to come out with an answer to AMD until 2022 or 2023, so I'll bite the bullet and go with a high end AMD build. A 5% difference won't convince me to spend an extra few hundred quid on Intel, especially as it's likely more security holes will come out. If they can come out with something like Core from 2006, they'll get my money. That's going to be anywhere from 25-35% IPC increase over the competition.

I can't deal with Intel's latest marketing strategy. A ###### dick swinging contest.

Yeah that wasn't any announcement or emails sent out to members when they changed domain names. I can't even remember how I came across the new domain name to be honest. Dovetail Games are the creators of Train Simulator and Train Sim World at the moment. They also manage the FSX: Steam Edition.

#9 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

View PostMattGarner, on 13 June 2019 - 02:32 AM, said:

They also manage the FSX: Steam Edition.

Oh that's why then.

Edited by SwitchFX, 16 June 2019 - 07:35 PM.


#10 Jetset

Jetset

    Contributor

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Location:London UK

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Looks like it’s got engine heat haze

https://imgur.com/a/ZaBauk2

#11 Max.

Max.

    Airline Transport Pilot

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,451 posts
  • Location:Bristol (EGGD)

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:06 AM

It does look lovely, and by the sounds of it they are focusing on it being a fully fledged sim according to a PR i read, however it is available for Xbox, the unreleased one i would assume, and that concerns me.

#12 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:23 AM

View PostJetset, on 22 June 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

Looks like it’s got engine heat haze ������

https://imgur.com/a/ZaBauk2

Didn't FSX have haze, too?

View PostMax., on 24 June 2019 - 04:06 AM, said:

It does look lovely, and by the sounds of it they are focusing on it being a fully fledged sim according to a PR i read, however it is available for Xbox, the unreleased one i would assume, and that concerns me.

I'm not sure either. However, it's worth noting that the next Xbox is more gaming PC like than console. Processor is a slightly modified PC processor, lots of RAM, RAM caching, SSD faster than a Samsung 970 Pro for example. Sony are doing something similar. Probably cost around $600-800 at launch.

Right now computing is at an interesting crossroads and a lot of good things are going to drop in the next 3-4 years. That said, I doubt Microsoft will charge $1,000 for a vertical stand for the next Xbox.

Edited by SwitchFX, 27 June 2019 - 02:28 AM.


#13 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

    Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,039 posts
  • Location:KDFW

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on 27 June 2019 - 02:23 AM, said:

Didn't FSX have haze, too?

I don't think so, I know X-Plane has it though. It was a pretty common thing for people to Photoshop into their screenshots though!

#14 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

    formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,759 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostBuziel-411_RED, on 24 July 2019 - 05:56 PM, said:

I don't think so, I know X-Plane has it though. It was a pretty common thing for people to Photoshop into their screenshots though!

Yes, you're correct. I didn't want to install FSX but I do remember doing manual blur using the lasso tool with a soft edge. I posted a shot which I of heat blur or whatever it's called with hand painted smoke and fire, which I remember looking fairly cool. Especially as someone who can't draw or paint.

Edited by SwitchFX, 29 July 2019 - 07:27 PM.