• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:25 PM

Okay, I've had enough ..... when I take breaks from designing military airbases (and especially now that my beta testers have control of what happens next with KPSM and KPBG), I surf looking for FS9 addons for the Middle East.  And it's bloody appalling at the PAUCITY of Middle East airports and scenaries.  (For those with a slightly smaller vocabulary, "paucity" doesn't mean I didn't find any -- it means there are :D FEW of them!!!!)

So, I've started outlining a summer project.  Starting with a grand view of the Middle East -- Egypt, Israel, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, the UAR, Kuwait, Oman, Yemen, Turkey, and yes, even Iraq and Iran -- I'm going to start reworking the AFCADs for airports in those countries (first) and then try to work up some accompanying scenery.  I will need some help in this endeavor, however; I will need someone to provide airport layout schematics/drawings/overhead photos, and someone to provide shots/scenes showing the architecture at the airports.

Anyone interested?  This will probably take all summer to do, releasing the packages by country as they are completed.  The sceneries may wind up being beyond my skills, but at least we can have some working, realistic AFCADs to replace those freakin' TERRIBLE default AFCADs!!!!!  (And, yes; I've got all the Middle Eastern airport AFCADs from places like AVSim -- some are good, some are okay, some really :o  -- and there's no reason for the flt sim community to be hampered by inadequate AFCADs.  Scenery? okay, that's a different horse and much more complex; but AT LEAST the AFCADs could be accurate!

#2 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

Watch out ya'll - he's on a mission! :D

#3 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:38 PM

Brad, on Feb 16 2005, 03:28 PM, said:

Watch out ya'll - he's on a mission! :D
Absolutely!!!!!  Cocked and locked and pointed in the right direction!!!!!
:D   :o   :P   :D   :D  

(Remember what happened the last time I had a "mission"?  I learned how to design airports so I could correct the abysmal Microsoft version of Loring International.  Only this time, I've got the right weapon and ammo!!!!!!  :D )

#4 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:44 PM

hey sarge i guess our pm turned public lol :D

ill be ever so glad to post you pictures of kuwait airport, parking information, schedules etc and ofcourse other airports too if i get the chance. :o id try hard to help, im not good at making sceneries nor afcad files lol but im good at giving out information to the designers so indeed id do my job at helping...always an honor :P

Edited by mohammad, 16 February 2005 - 02:44 PM.

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:52 PM

mohammad, on Feb 16 2005, 03:44 PM, said:

ill be ever so glad to post you pictures of kuwait airport, parking information, schedules etc and ofcourse other airports too if i get the chance. :D id try hard to help, im not good at making sceneries nor afcad files lol but im good at giving out information to the designers so indeed id do my job at helping...always an honor :D
THAT is good news!!!  Now, I ask you -- just how in the world can this project fail if the Prophet is with us?   :P

(Long as no one tries to refer to the Prophet as "moe", eh?  :o )

#6 notadrater

notadrater

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

Ooh; more reason to fly in the middle east! :D

#7 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

I will hapily research, and beta test the middle east project.

#8 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

ooh, ooh.. I'm in if you need me... :D

#9 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:25 PM

scavers, on Feb 16 2005, 05:57 PM, said:

I will hapily research, and beta test the middle east project.
scavers, you're already on my beta test team -- OF COURSE you'll do beta testing.  And prior to the product being ready for test, you can assist mohammad with the research -- probably a lot of web surfing to find the info.

TCY, I'd really appreciate you joining in.  I'm not too happy with a lot of the terrain features that MS put in for the Middle East.  I know, I know, a lot of it is desert, but there are also hills, rocky outcroppings, roads, rivers, wadis, ad infinitum that simply don't render very well in 2D.  By the time summer rolls around, based on your work so far modifying terrain, I think you're gonna be the silver lining in the cloud.   :D

Okay -- so far we have:

Me (and possibly scavers?) on the AFCADs
Me on the macros
mohammad and scavers on the research
scavers (and possibly mul) on the beta test team
TCY on the terrain

What are we missing?  Research, AFCADs, macros/scenery, terrain, testing ..... are we covered, or am I (in my advance towards Alzheimers) leaving something VERY VERY important out?

A COORDINATOR -- Brad, Jon, Coffee -- any volunteers?

#10 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:26 AM

sarge, on Feb 17 2005, 12:52 AM, said:

mohammad, on Feb 16 2005, 03:44 PM, said:

ill be ever so glad to post you pictures of kuwait airport, parking information, schedules etc and ofcourse other airports too if i get the chance. :D id try hard to help, im not good at making sceneries nor afcad files lol but im good at giving out information to the designers so indeed id do my job at helping...always an honor :D
THAT is good news!!!  Now, I ask you -- just how in the world can this project fail if the Prophet is with us?   :D

(Long as no one tries to refer to the Prophet as "moe", eh?  :o )
LOL!! good one sarge, the prophet peace be upon him will help us succeed in the war against microsoft :P

#11 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

sarge, I can definatly do AFCAD's, I just can't work in TT Tools!

#12 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:51 AM

mohammad, on Feb 17 2005, 07:26 AM, said:

sarge, on Feb 17 2005, 12:52 AM, said:

Long as no one tries to refer to the Prophet as "moe", eh?  :D )
LOL!! good one sarge, the prophet peace be upon him will help us succeed in the war against microsoft :o
:D  :D

And by the way:

"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don't, they never were..."
- Kahlil Gibran
I've got a t-shirt with that on it .... well, not exactly the same wording, but I like the version on the t-shirt better:

"If you love something, let it go, for if it returns, it was always yours.  And if it doesn't, HUNT IT DOWN AND KILL IT!!!"
:P  :D  :D  :D  :D

#13 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:53 AM

:D

It is like at walmart...they get their entire team Reved up before the work day.

#14 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:40 PM

hehe glad you like the quote sarge, it really made alot of sense for me, gibran has a handful of other good quotes too :D

anyhow back to topic... :o

just to add sarge, i can get you photos of kuwait city (and downtown) if we ever decide placing buildings etc just to make the place look more lively and less dull like how its made with default flight sim :P

#15 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

Sarge, good news, between personal projects I'm sure I could place a few macros for you!

(I've picked up FSSC and I'm sure if you would be on MSN more I could do XML)

Edited by scavers, 20 February 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#16 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

scavers, on Feb 20 2005, 06:16 PM, said:

Sarge, good news, between personal projects I'm sure I could place a few macros for you!

(I've picked up FSSC and I'm sure if you would be on MSN more I could do XML)
Goto the Articles and Tutorials forum, Accepted Tutorials .... the first two on XML are already up there.

#17 RadRig211

RadRig211

Orville Reincarnate

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:47 AM

If theres any help for a scenery-design-n00b...IM THERE! :D
:P
Seriously Sarge. If you need any help that I might be able to help you with, don't hesitate. This project sounds awesome! :o

#18 SargeJr3

SargeJr3

Gallery Manager

• Gallery Manager
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:04 PM

RadRig211, on Feb 20 2005, 10:47 PM, said:

If theres any help for a scenery-design-n00b...IM THERE! :D
:P
Seriously Sarge. If you need any help that I might be able to help you with, don't hesitate. This project sounds awesome! :o
I could help ya out through the way, start by picking up afcad and mastering it.  :D

#19 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

hey sarge, where can i give you info on airports? here or on msn? (if you do have an email lol)

#20 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:36 AM

Hey,
I can't beleive I missed this topic till now.

I will most likley be able to help with AFCAD, airport reworks etc. and other scenery (I can use gmax)

I will have a HUGE ammount of time in Late June early July onwards
if that is too late I can work on a 1 "sub project" at a time basis.

Is it going to be freeware or payware, because I really like doing freeware
and don't mind working on payware for someone over the age of 21

Also this sort of project needs some default aircraft AI added to the expanded airfields for those out there who like the default AI

Edited by PiP, 24 February 2005 - 11:40 AM.