Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:59 PM

United States Air Space Guide
By Robby Weinberg

-VOCAB-

Air Space- Sections of defined air in which feature different classes that require different classifications.

Controlled Airspace- The airspace in which ATC services are provided. The different airspace classifications include: Class A, B, C, D, and E.

Uncontrolled Airspace- The airspace in which ATC services are not provided. This is also known as Class G Airspace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Class A Airspace- Normally the airspace from 18,000 feet MSL up to and including FL600, and overlaying water within 12 nautical miles of all US states excluding Hawaii. All pilots must be operating under IFR unless otherwise authorized.

Class B Airspace- Normally the airspace around the busiest airports from the surface to 10,000 MSL custom to every airport. Some airports with Class B airspace have two layers resembling an upside down wedding cake. It is designed to include all published instrument procedures once an aircraft enters the class B airspace. ATC clearance is required to cross into Class B airspace. All cleared aircraft in the class B airspace receive separation services from ATC. To operate in VFR, the weather must be sufficient, and VFR aircraft are to remain “clear of clouds." ATC does have discretion to not accept VFR due to heavy traffic or any other reasons.

Class C Airspace- Normally class C is the airspace for the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport's elevation. This airspace normally surrounds airports with an operational control tower, is serviced by a radar approach control, and that have a certain number of IFR operations or passenger flights. Class C is also individually custom to the airport, and consists of a surface area with a 5 nautical mile radius, and an outer circle with a 1 ONM radius that extends from 1,200 to 4,000 feet above the airport's elevation. Each pilot must establish and maintain 2-way radio communication prior to entering class C airspace, and while in the airspace. VFR aircraft are only separated from IFR aircraft in the airspace.

Class D Airspace- Normally class D is the airspace from the surface to 2,500 feet above the airport elevation. Class D airspace usually surrounds airports with an operational control tower. Class D Airspace is also custom to the airport it surrounds. When instrument procedures are published, the airspace will usually contain the procedures. Arrival extensions for instrument approach procedures may be Class D or Class E airspace. Unless otherwise authorized, each pilot must institute two-way radio communication prior to getting in, and while in Class D airspace. Separation service for VFR is not usually given.

Class E Airspace- Generally airspace that isn't Class A, B, C, or D, and is controlled airspace, is Class E airspace. Class E airspace can go from surface to FL180, but can start at another designated altitude where a different airspace stops covering. Also in this class are Federal airways, airspace beginning at 700 or 1,200 AGIL used to transition to or from the terminal or enroute environment, enroute domestic, and off shore airspace areas designated below 18,000 feet MSL. Unless designated at a lower altitude, Class E airspace begins at 14,500 MSL over the United States, containing the airspace overlaying the waters within 12 NM of the United States except Hawaii.

Class G Airspace- Airspace that is not controlled by ATC.

#2 Mark_39C

Mark_39C

formerly Il Dirigente

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

A more lengthy version found here: http://www.faa.gov/A...p3/aim0302.html

#3 wildwobby

wildwobby

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

thats why it is called a guide :D

#4 VHHH90

VHHH90

Aviation Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

wildwobby, on Jun 15 2005, 08:16 PM, said:

thats why it is called a guide :D
:D

#5 Kodiak

Kodiak

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Nice guide but theres some stuff to add..

VFR Cloud and visibilty clearences

When do you need a transponder (W/Wo alt encode)

Maybe throw in a little bit on victor airways?  (just noticed you auctually had this in there)

Other than that it looks good to me!

Edited by Kodiak, 16 June 2005 - 02:27 PM.

#6 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:05 PM

also should include the FAA issued airspace diagram.. it REALLY makes sense!

question..

what airspace is above Class A? It's really easy! :-D

#7 wildwobby

wildwobby

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:41 AM

Posted Image

#8 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:18 AM

wild got the map I was thinking of.. Now put that ontop of a sectional/terminal map and add in the requirements per airspace and you're golden!

#9 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

Great :lol: Im surrounded byt Class C airspace right now hehe.

#10 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

Im under D, i guess thats because i live next to an airport though....

#11 kamakazi

kamakazi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

Eh, I'm in Class G. That's where my mind is right now. No ATC (*cough* my parents) to control me.. :lol:

And nice guide. Real easy guide to understand.. :lol:

#12 coffeebeans

coffeebeans

formerly MrDonovan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

I'm class Charlie.