43 replies to this topic

#1 Evan321

Evan321

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Ok, I decided to make this topic in the hope that it gets pinned. Almost everyday, the same few questions are asked about AI, so from now on, people can consult this topic instead of posting the same thing almost everyday.

What is AI?
AI is the other traffic in your AI world. Default FS has AI traffic, but it has only a few unrealistic airlines. Most flightsimmers have replaced their AI, either using freeware or payware solutions. By replacing your AI, you get the benefit of seeing real world airlines in your skies and at your airports.

How do I add AI to my sim?
AI can be added many ways. The most effective solution happens to also be the most time consuming:
1. MRAI flightplans combined with AIA/FSP/CDAI/EVAI etc- Look at this topic. The benefit of this method is higher FPS as well as more realistic models.  

2. Project AI - PAI is free and conveniently comes in an installer form. However, PAI flightplans for the most part are unrealistic and many of their models lack in realism and design (they eat FPS). For PAI help, look at this topic.

3. Ultimate Traffic - UT is the rich man's solution to PAI. It can be purchased here for $29.95. It has over 800 airlines so you will definitely have a full airport. However, UT uses PAI version 1 models and the paints look really bad. Furthermore, the flightplans are unrealistic and not all airplane models are included (For example, UT substitutes a 757 for the TU-154).

The Rundown
The choice is completely up to you. The three methods have their pros and cons:

Custom AI made with MRAI and AIA/FSP etc.
PROS: Best FPS around, nice paints and models, realistic flightplans, free.
CONS: Time consuming, requires a good amount of background knowledge of AI and aircraft in FS9.

Project AI
PROS: Easy to install, requires almost no background knowledge, is free.
CONS: Hard on FPS, models and paints are crappy quality, not every airline is covered, takes a while in install, flightplans aren't the most realistic.

Ultimate Traffic
PROS: Extremely easy to install, requires no more work after installing the program, covers 800 airlines, the fastest way to get traffic
CONS: Uses PAI V1 models and often substitutes aircraft with others, unrealistic flightplans, crappy paints and models, hard of FPS

The choice is yours. Whichever method you choose, you will have AI in your sim. Some of the AI is better than others, so you have to choose whether you want good quality with hard work, or quantity with no work.

Hopefully this thread will reduce the number of AI questions in the forums. Feel free to post any questions about this thread. Also, if you have a question that was not covered in this topic, feel free  to first attempt to find an old topic that covers your question before making a new topic.

#2 silentghost

silentghost

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

Great thread, should be pinned!

#3 ncbaseball

ncbaseball

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

This is great. Definately should be pinned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 FS_Falcon_Pilot

FS_Falcon_Pilot

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:30 PM

This sure deserves to be Pinned. Good Luck with that :D  :D

#5 Vikjet

Vikjet

formerly FraZZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:10 PM

Yeah!!
Amzing,its gonna be pinned!!! :D

#6 dusty

dusty

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

Great job. :D
However I think that it should be noted that alot of people(well, at least me) combine MRAI flight plans with PAI models.

#7 Sensationalizer

Sensationalizer

formerly hammad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:12 AM

Excellent thread ................ pin it ! :D  :D

#8 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:10 AM

Dusty, Personally I think, that as AIA and FSP models are better on FPS than PAI, and look better, It wouldn't be wise to confuse people even further :D.

#9 Ruahrc

Ruahrc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:23 AM

Don't forget that you can convert the models UT uses into FSP/AIA for the same FPS as MRAI!  Also can someone explain to me how the UT flightplans are unrealistic?  They are taken from a database of real-world airline flights and the only drawback is that they are a little dated from time to time (bi-annual schedule updates)

Ruahrc

#10 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:28 AM

Well, With UT At my Local airport I saw up to 5 767-300 (Qantas) At a time, For the past few years the only 767-300 coming in and out of the airport regulary is from Australian Airlines once a day.

Edited by dolbinau, 12 August 2005 - 02:28 AM.

#11 Evan321

Evan321

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

Any feedback from an admin about this topic?

#12 VHHH90

VHHH90

Aviation Contest Host

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:18 AM

Pin it Pint it Pin it

#13 jetBlue 32

jetBlue 32

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:23 AM

Evan I appriciate this topic, I often wonder how to instal FSP ot AIA traffic, Do youi think possibly you could go through the process of how to install these?

#14 Visionary

Visionary

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

here is something i have been wondering

how do  i install THESE flightplans. it says they are compatible with mrai, but when i install them it says they aren't

Edited by samdaflyer, 12 August 2005 - 10:51 AM.

#15 straightupkilla

straightupkilla

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

this helps.

Edited by straightupkilla, 22 September 2005 - 08:21 PM.

#16 JordanD

JordanD

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

Does anyone know if I can substitute Fs painter or Ai aardvark models for the PAI models? That way I won't have to deal with flightplans.
I have a problem with MRAI though. When I try to run the installer, I end up having to type in the fs9 directory manually, and I always get this message when I try to install. "380 invalid property value". This is starting to piss me off because PAI is giving me bad performance. Any help would be appreciated.

#17 straightupkilla

straightupkilla

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:07 PM

JordanD, on Sep 28 2005, 06:43 PM, said:

Does anyone know if I can substitute Fs painter or Ai aardvark models for the PAI models? That way I won't have to deal with flightplans.
I have a problem with MRAI though. When I try to run the installer, I end up having to type in the fs9 directory manually, and I always get this message when I try to install. "380 invalid property value". This is starting to piss me off because PAI is giving me bad performance. Any help would be appreciated.
well you can swap the planes by just downloading the planes and copy and paste. (have to use ttools)

#18 Evan321

Evan321

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

JordanD, on Sep 28 2005, 07:43 PM, said:

You want to try and use FSPainter and Aardvark wherever possible. The only PAI planes you should have is Saabs, Dashs, ATRs, and other small aircraft.

As for the 308 error, make sure you are installing to a valid FS9 directory.

Edited by Evan321, 04 October 2005 - 08:13 PM.

#19 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

How about some weblinks. You could link this to TCY's custom AI tutorial. Good work :D .

#20 CSHoffie

CSHoffie

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:44 AM

Where can I download AIA models? I've searched AVSIM and the only things I can find are just paints that require models which I cannot find ANYWHERE.

Edited by CSHoffie, 14 March 2006 - 12:44 AM.