#21 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:18 PM

TechnicolorYawn, on Oct 15 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

lol.. I dread to think how many polys LPMA is made up of...
I just found out that Gmax has a polygon counter. The whole thing so far comes in at 6500 polys, which is actually better than I thought.

No frame-rate problems so far when I run it.

Sorry, bit off topic, but I said that a while ago when it was..

Edited by TechnicolorYawn, 20 October 2005 - 04:19 PM.

#22 Ice Man

Ice Man

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the help Sarge.

If you find that your building is a bit oversized when you place it, adjust the scale

No buildings are 'standard height'
What I mean by standard height is this: Default generic airport buildings in FS are built like this: small GA buildings are all one low rise "standard height", medium sized terminals are the height of 2 small GA buildings stacked on top of each other, some larger airport buildings are the height of 3 lo-rise GA buildings, and the rotundas in the default KEWR scenery are 4 "levels" high.

As for McClellan,

To "recreate" it, I would need some photos of the time-period -- pre-SEA? during SEA? immediately prior to closure?
What I really want is something that makes McClellan pretty accurate and like it is in recent times. Since virtually NOTHING has been demolished there, you can just get a bunch of satellite photos from maps.google.com. It's free and easy to use. If you made a scenery of how McClellan looks today, it would look no different than it did 10 years ago. The only difference between McClellan of the 90s and McClellan today is that today nothing happens there. If a scenery can be constructed, those red and white C130s will grace the Sacramento skies once more (in addition to the c5s from Beale and the KC10s from Travis).

It would be cool to create a package with the three major bases around Sacramento, these of course being Beale, McClellan, and Travis. A Brunswick NAS (Brunswick, Maine) scenery wouldn't be a bad idea either. Something I might attempt if I can learn more about GMAX is building the DHL cargo hub (currently under construction) at March ARB (formerly an AFB) in Riverside, CA.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

#23 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

TechnicolorYawn, on Oct 20 2005, 05:18 PM, said:

TechnicolorYawn, on Oct 15 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

lol.. I dread to think how many polys LPMA is made up of...
I just found out that Gmax has a polygon counter. The whole thing so far comes in at 6500 polys, which is actually better than I thought.

No frame-rate problems so far when I run it.

Sorry, bit off topic, but I said that a while ago when it was..
What's off-topic about a scenery design?  Post away, TCY -- post away!   :D

#24 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

Ice Man, on Oct 20 2005, 06:32 PM, said:

What I mean by standard height is this: Default generic airport buildings in FS are built like this: small GA buildings are all one low rise "standard height", medium sized terminals are the height of 2 small GA buildings stacked on top of each other, some larger airport buildings are the height of 3 lo-rise GA buildings, and the rotundas in the default KEWR scenery are 4 "levels" high.
Don't pay any attention to MSFS building sizes .... make 'em as accurate as you can and exclude the default stuff.  First thing I do when I'm reworking a default design and adding scenery is get rid of as much of the default stuff as possible, including the taxiway/runway signs (I make my own).  I'm singularly UNimpressed with MS's buildings.  Do it YOUR way; to :D with Microsoft's idea of buildings.

As for McClellan,
What I really want is something that makes McClellan pretty accurate and like it is in recent times. Since virtually NOTHING has been demolished there, you can just get a bunch of satellite photos from maps.google.com. It's free and easy to use. If you made a scenery of how McClellan looks today, it would look no different than it did 10 years ago. The only difference between McClellan of the 90s and McClellan today is that today nothing happens there. If a scenery can be constructed, those red and white C130s will grace the Sacramento skies once more (in addition to the c5s from Beale and the KC10s from Travis).
Okay ... as soon as I'm cleared for some serious vertical time, I've got to finish off Pease AFB NH, Plattsburgh AFB NY, and Loring AFB ME.  Then I'll tackle SM-ALC   :D   In the meantime, I can start collecting the material I'll need; if you find/have any photos that can be used to create textures (head on shots with no or few obstructions), post 'em up and I'll grab 'em.

It would be cool to create a package with the three major bases around Sacramento, these of course being Beale, McClellan, and Travis. A Brunswick NAS (Brunswick, Maine) scenery wouldn't be a bad idea either. Something I might attempt if I can learn more about GMAX is building the DHL cargo hub (currently under construction) at March ARB (formerly an AFB) in Riverside, CA.
Anyway, thanks for all the help.
You might want to do a search on AVSIM for Dave O'Brien (and limit it to the FS2004 files) ... I think he's already done a Beale AFB.  And um, uh, ah, ahem, um .... March is on my list to reopen as a MAC base, not joint-use.   :)

#25 Ice Man

Ice Man

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

as soon as I'm cleared for some serious vertical time, I've got to finish off Pease AFB NH, Plattsburgh AFB NY, and Loring AFB ME. Then I'll tackle SM-ALC  In the meantime, I can start collecting the material I'll need; if you find/have any photos that can be used to create textures (head on shots with no or few obstructions), post 'em up and I'll grab 'em
Take your time. It was just an idea of mine. I don't have any photos, except the satellite photos I took on google. There was I site that I had the address to that had a few pictures of MCC, nothing head on, but a few of the buildings were in some of the pictures.

March is on my list to reopen as a MAC base, not joint-use.
Well whatever. MAC would be cool. I'm no more than 30 or so miles south of March, last time I drove by I saw a C130 doing touch and go's and a C-17 (it was one from McChord, I could tell by the stripe on the tail) landing. The location is great, right next to the freeway with an unobstructed view, you can see the whole base.

Another question of mine:
I was recently tinkering with GMAX and after I put the MakeMDL plugin in the plugins folder GMAX wouldn't open any saved files. I took MakeMDL out, uninstalled, and then reinstalled GMAX, and still, every time I try to open a file, I get a message that reads:

"An error has ocurred and the application will now close"

Is there ANY way of fixing this?

#26 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:14 PM

Ice Man, on Oct 20 2005, 10:29 PM, said:

Another question of mine:
I was recently tinkering with GMAX and after I put the MakeMDL plugin in the plugins folder GMAX wouldn't open any saved files. I took MakeMDL out, uninstalled, and then reinstalled GMAX, and still, every time I try to open a file, I get a message that reads:

"An error has ocurred and the application will now close"

Is there ANY way of fixing this?
Whoa!  Gotta leave that one to TCY and the others; I'm primarily an FSDS2 guy who has learning GMAX on my "to do" list.

As for McClellan .... consider it on the list for "present day" reworking.   :D

#27 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

Not sure about the crashing - try posting on www.scenerydesign.org - they are GMax masters there.

#28 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

Sarge could I ask a request of some objects for KAUS an Ex AirForce Base (now commercial airline airport)

#29 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

AmericanAirFan, on Oct 21 2005, 09:23 PM, said:

Sarge could I ask a request of some objects for KAUS an Ex AirForce Base (now commercial airline airport)
PM me with your "wish list"

#30 AmericanAirFan

AmericanAirFan

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

sarge, on Oct 21 2005, 09:36 PM, said:

AmericanAirFan, on Oct 21 2005, 09:23 PM, said:

PM me with your "wish list"
sure thing :D thanks  :D