#1 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

Hello everyone!

I would like to annouce that Project City Inc. has started developing the companies first scenery. Project City is composed of 3 major scenery developers (all from this forum). After looking at MANY pictures and many diagrams, we have decided on our first Scenery project:

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport - KDCA

This scenery *should* include real life coordinates and the exact runway lengths and hopefully have all the REAL textures from the airport viewable from our scenery. As of right now, we have just starting developing and looking up certain information regarding this airport. But hopfully this will be a success. As of now we have our domain name and hosting up. As soon as our first project is in Beta Stages, the site will be viewable to the public. Thanks!

Thanks alot and we look for your support!

-Ron
Project City Inc. Founder

**Project City Inc. is a payware company charging a fourth of what other companies charge.** :D

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

ucantcme, on Nov 13 2005, 09:14 PM, said:

Hello everyone!

I would like to annouce that Project City Inc. has started developing the companies first scenery. Project City is composed of 3 major scenery developers (all from this forum). After looking at MANY pictures and many diagrams, we have decided on our first Scenery project:

This scenery *should* include real life coordinates and the exact runway lengths and hopefully have all the REAL textures from the airport viewable from our scenery. As of right now, we have just starting developing and looking up certain information regarding this airport. But hopfully this will be a success. As of now we have our domain name and hosting up. As soon as our first project is in Beta Stages, the site will be viewable to the public. Thanks!

-Ron

**Project City Inc. is a payware company charging a fourth of what other companies charge.** :D
Go for it!!!!!  Looking forward to the screenshot updates (hint hint hint).   :D  :)

#3 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:19 PM

sarge, on Nov 13 2005, 09:16 PM, said:

ucantcme, on Nov 13 2005, 09:14 PM, said:

Hello everyone!

-Ron

Go for it!!!!!  Looking forward to the screenshot updates (hint hint hint).   :D  :)
Thanks Sarge...always encouraging :)  :)

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:23 PM

ucantcme, on Nov 13 2005, 10:19 PM, said:

Thanks Sarge...always encouraging :D  :)
There are enough crappy designers out there; anyone wanting to get into the scenery design side of things NEEDS to be encouraged to do so.  There's a chance that he/she may just turn out to be the kind of designer that produces GOOD stuff instead of the :D that we're flooded with.  Things like:

Can't be bothered to run Fault Finder in AFCAD to find broken links
Can't be bothered to correctly align objects with surfaces
Can't be bothered to apply textures correctly (or even PROVIDE them or links to them)
Can't be bothered to align NAVAIDS correctly
Can't be bothered to keep it framerate friendly

When I first started last year, even though my initial tries were only partially successful (I couldn't meet that last one up there), Brad and Jon and others kept encouraging me and pushing me to do more, learn more, and recommending different pieces of software I needed.  Now I'm doing tutorials on writing XML placement and giving advice on how to use FSDS2 and how to make polygon-friendly objects and do conditional pre-sets in objects.  And my projects are showing signs of -0.2 to -3.0 framerate impacts, despite the number of objects (some of them complex) that are in the sceneries.

If that's what you guys want to do, I say "GO FOR IT!!!!"  And you've always got support in this topic area from me, PiP, TCY, and others.   :)

#5 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

Again, Thanks so much Sarge. Only problem I am encountering is putting textures on my objects via GMAX. Any help is much appreciated.

Example, I made a taxiway by a 'PLANE' in Gmax... I want to put the taxiway lines on it, but dunnno how to put it in the middle non the less put them on the object. Thanks to anyone that can help! :D

Edited by ucantcme, 13 November 2005 - 11:26 PM.

#6 Evan.

Evan.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:40 PM

Wow, I am delighted to hear this. We all need a good KDCA scnery.

Good luck with this project!

#7 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:17 AM

ucantcme, on Nov 14 2005, 04:25 AM, said:

Example, I made a taxiway by a 'PLANE' in Gmax... I want to put the taxiway lines on it, but dunnno how to put it in the middle non the less put them on the object. Thanks to anyone that can help! :D
Hope this goes well!

Anyway, taxiways - to begin with, you're probably better off using AFCAD for the taxiways until you have the main parts of your airport put together. Not only will this let you quickly and easily put together a good basic shape to work from, but if you are fairly new to Gmax, you can build up your skills a bit first, as Gmax taxiways are a :D to make.

When it comes to maiking taxiways, the best way is to have several layers, and use alpha channels. You have a flat plane on the ground that has the surface of the taxiway with grass edges drawn on it, and use the alpha channel to blend the grass edges into the existing ground texture. On top of this you have the taxiway lines object (which I'll mention in a second) and then another object made up of any dirt effects you want (with an alpha channel to keep it transparent).

The best way to make smooth taxiway lines in to create a curved line, and then extrude an object along this line creating a nice smooth curve. I'll show an example.

We'll make a quick section of taxiway involving one taxiway intersecting another.
First, make sure the 'create' tab is selected, and choose the 'shapes' button. Then choose 'Line' and make sure 'Smooth' is selected under Initial Type.

Posted Image

Then right click 3D Snap Toggle (looks like a magnet with a 3 next to it), and make sure Vertex is the only box that it checked. Close the window and click the button in.

Posted Image

Now you can draw your lines. You'll find that the line will curve along the line of points you draw, and also because of the 3D snap toggle, it will snap to the points in the line, letting you line everything up properly. If you need to edit a line, click the 'Modify' tab in the top right and then the 4 red dots to edit the vertices.

Posted Image

Once you have your network of lines, you need an object to extrude along them. In the same way you made the line, make a rectangle, with a top side as wide as you like your taxiway line. The right click it, and select Convert to -> Editable spline.

Posted Image

Then, select the Modify tab again, and choose the segment selection. Then select and delete all the lines in the rectangle apart from the top one.

Posted Image Posted Image

Now, choose the Create tab, and the Geometry button. Then select Compound Objects from the drop-down menu, and with one of your taxiway lines you drew selected, choose Loft.

Posted Image

Open up the skin parameters rollout, and change Shape Steps to 0 and Path Steps to 1. Then click Get Shape and click the section of rectangle thats left. You should then find it extrudes along the line you made. You can then contiunue this with the other lines. The resulting shape can have a texture applied that will follow the line by default too.

Posted Image

#8 wyoairbus

wyoairbus

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

looking to do anywhere in Wyoming,....say, Cheyenne? lol probably not but if oyu did i would thank you a ton,

good luck with it, best wishes

wyoairbus

#9 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:52 PM

TechnicolorYawn, on Nov 14 2005, 03:17 AM, said:

ucantcme, on Nov 14 2005, 04:25 AM, said:

Hope this goes well!

Anyway, taxiways - to begin with, you're probably better off using AFCAD for the taxiways until you have the main parts of your airport put together. Not only will this let you quickly and easily put together a good basic shape to work from, but if you are fairly new to Gmax, you can build up your skills a bit first, as Gmax taxiways are a :D to make.

When it comes to maiking taxiways, the best way is to have several layers, and use alpha channels. You have a flat plane on the ground that has the surface of the taxiway with grass edges drawn on it, and use the alpha channel to blend the grass edges into the existing ground texture. On top of this you have the taxiway lines object (which I'll mention in a second) and then another object made up of any dirt effects you want (with an alpha channel to keep it transparent).

The best way to make smooth taxiway lines in to create a curved line, and then extrude an object along this line creating a nice smooth curve. I'll show an example.

We'll make a quick section of taxiway involving one taxiway intersecting another.
First, make sure the 'create' tab is selected, and choose the 'shapes' button. Then choose 'Line' and make sure 'Smooth' is selected under Initial Type.

Posted Image

Then right click 3D Snap Toggle (looks like a magnet with a 3 next to it), and make sure Vertex is the only box that it checked. Close the window and click the button in.

Posted Image

Now you can draw your lines. You'll find that the line will curve along the line of points you draw, and also because of the 3D snap toggle, it will snap to the points in the line, letting you line everything up properly. If you need to edit a line, click the 'Modify' tab in the top right and then the 4 red dots to edit the vertices.

Posted Image

Once you have your network of lines, you need an object to extrude along them. In the same way you made the line, make a rectangle, with a top side as wide as you like your taxiway line. The right click it, and select Convert to -> Editable spline.

Posted Image

Then, select the Modify tab again, and choose the segment selection. Then select and delete all the lines in the rectangle apart from the top one.

Posted Image Posted Image

Now, choose the Create tab, and the Geometry button. Then select Compound Objects from the drop-down menu, and with one of your taxiway lines you drew selected, choose Loft.

Posted Image

Open up the skin parameters rollout, and change Shape Steps to 0 and Path Steps to 1. Then click Get Shape and click the section of rectangle thats left. You should then find it extrudes along the line you made. You can then contiunue this with the other lines. The resulting shape can have a texture applied that will follow the line by default too.

Posted Image
Holy crap. Very good!

Thank you so very much for your help! I can see you are very skilled at GMAX :)  :)  :)  :P

#10 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

O boy this will be VERY interesting. Just don't piss him off, hes a ###### :D You know what Im talking about :)
EDIT: Commenting on BAC, Its gonna be kind of unfair if you have to keep asking people how to do ###### when you are selling a scenery and not pay the people. I seriously hope you are not planning on getting alot of purchase, (except for the n00b groups), So I don't think its wise to ask for advice when you may not have any money to pay the people. But since its probably left up to Nick, he loves screwing people over, so I guess your all good in that department aren't ya? O btw Ron, good move actually offering to pay someone to teach you to add photoreal on your PAYWARE scenery. I totally agree with BAC on the fact that its not a good idea to try and sell a PAYWARE scenery without doing a freeware one first. I hope your the backbone of this company Ron, since Nick thought he had to lie to us and say he actually did something in gmax PERIOD. And Ron, this is an example, if you think that gmax done by Technicolor Yawn is amazing, youl need another life very quickly. That probably took Tech about 5 minutes. Not saying Tech sucks, but that only scrapes the ice I reckon of his skills, and the required skills to make a scenery that someone will actually pay their earned money for. PAYWARE you see is a very deep pool. Ron, Im not by no means insulting your maturity, but Im afraid that your experience in this, not to mention Nicks Immaturity, will kill you in the end. Im just trying to make you guys see. Anyways good luck. I will not be commenting any further on this because if I do people MIGHT get the impression that Im trying to start ######. Truth hurts sometimes eh? And yes by all means, please prove yourself Nick, I will gladly change my mind :D

Edited by casonf, 15 November 2005 - 12:28 AM.

#11 Blue_Angel_Cpt

Blue_Angel_Cpt

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:04 AM

casonf, on Nov 15 2005, 05:00 PM, said:

O boy this will be VERY interesting.
Yes it shall be, i personally don't think project city Inc has the "Go!" to become a succesful payware company as they have not had any Experience with freeware products yet, i would suggest that you would create a basic freeware airport. (I have never seen you finish or create any airports for that matter, ###### do you even know how to texture map.)

Thats just my suggestion.
Good luck :D

If you show me some of your screenshots of this airport or some of your airports you made before (if you even made any) i will be open to changing my mind.
:D

Edited by Blue_Angel_Cpt, 15 November 2005 - 12:07 AM.

#12 ronindanbo

ronindanbo

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:15 AM

I have to agree with the above comments bud modelling aint easy and you really should get used to development in the freeware area first otherwise you run the risk of being another Perfect Flight whicih all of us want to avoid (tho people are still suckered into buying thier stuff :D )

Anyway man goodluck whatever you do.

#13 ucantcme

ucantcme

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

casonf, on Nov 15 2005, 12:00 AM, said:

O boy this will be VERY interesting. Just don't piss him off, hes a ###### :) You know what Im talking about :)
EDIT: Commenting on BAC, Its gonna be kind of unfair if you have to keep asking people how to do ###### when you are selling a scenery and not pay the people. I seriously hope you are not planning on getting alot of purchase, (except for the n00b groups), So I don't think its wise to ask for advice when you may not have any money to pay the people. But since its probably left up to Nick, he loves screwing people over, so I guess your all good in that department aren't ya? O btw Ron, good move actually offering to pay someone to teach you to add photoreal on your PAYWARE scenery. I totally agree with BAC on the fact that its not a good idea to try and sell a PAYWARE scenery without doing a freeware one first. I hope your the backbone of this company Ron, since Nick thought he had to lie to us and say he actually did something in gmax PERIOD. And Ron, this is an example, if you think that gmax done by Technicolor Yawn is amazing, youl need another life very quickly. That probably took Tech about 5 minutes. Not saying Tech sucks, but that only scrapes the ice I reckon of his skills, and the required skills to make a scenery that someone will actually pay their earned money for. PAYWARE you see is a very deep pool. Ron, Im not by no means insulting your maturity, but Im afraid that your experience in this, not to mention Nicks Immaturity, will kill you in the end. Im just trying to make you guys see. Anyways good luck. I will not be commenting any further on this because if I do people MIGHT get the impression that Im trying to start ######. Truth hurts sometimes eh? And yes by all means, please prove yourself Nick, I will gladly change my mind :D

Cason, I don't appreciate your post at all. First off it doesnt make since. You state that: I am constantly asking people for help on how to make things on scenery...So? What does that have to do with anything? If there is a way to do something, I want to know how to do it. And what do you think about my money? I pay a car note of $200 a month, and insurance of $185 a month. I have enough money.

And about saying I need another life? I have a part-time job, and I am a full time student in High School. This is just a hobby to enjoy but everyone else has to make it a big deal and say we have no lives. I mean you are bragging about your Speed Indicator to me the other day, I told you my opinion about it, saying it was awesome and stuff, so I guess it only took you 5 mins.

On TCYs scenery, who cares what you think? I gave my opinion and that is that. And by saying I need another life because I said TCYs scenery was amazing, again doesnt make sense.

As you said you won't comment on this topic so I am gonna leave it at that. Remeber the saying

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, SAY NOTHING AT ALL...... Keep that in mind next time before you post worthless ###### again!

I am working on showing you all wrong and that this scenery will turn out better than YALL expected.

-Ron

#14 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

You have no experience. I mean you didn't even know how to make a ###### dome less thana moth ago. Everything I said makes sense. Who gives a flying ###### about my gauges. Im talking about your scenery. I never said you didn't have the money. Just ###### read and youl understand. That is that. Everything I said makes sense. Nothing I said wasnt true. You are not experienced enough right now. Your saying whats wrong with asking???? Because you don't even know how to do the things and your making "PAYWARE"?? Go figure man. O btw I really appreciate you maiking fun of my words. Good going Ron. If you honestly think that anything I said doesnt make sense, your worse off than I thought.

Edited by casonf, 17 November 2005 - 06:24 PM.

#15 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:50 PM

Now now, ladies - play nice.

#16 N376JA

N376JA

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:22 PM

Cason, Please do not post anything if you have nothing nice to say about anyone.

#17 Greeney

Greeney

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:30 PM

N376JA, on Nov 17 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

Cason, Please do not post anything if you have nothing nice to say about anyone.
Nick please don't spam. :D

#18 N376JA

N376JA

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:40 PM

Jordan i wasnt spaming. All I was saying was if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Ps. Jordan you spam all of the time in the other parts of the fourms.

#19 TechnicolorYawn

TechnicolorYawn

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:42 PM

TechnicolorYawn, on Nov 17 2005, 09:50 PM, said:

Now now, ladies - play nice.

#20 TaterSalad

TaterSalad

formerly casonf/ApexSim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

Greeney, on Nov 17 2005, 05:30 PM, said:

N376JA, on Nov 17 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

Nick please don't spam. :D
:) its Jordan! Come on Jordan, give your opinion. I thbink were losing this battle. I honestly don't care anymore since Ron doesnt want to take the advice of Dan. I mean comeon, if you don't atleast take it into consideration what he says, your just ###### stupid anyway. People try and give advice, and they get spit shot in their face. What a country :D

Edited by casonf, 17 November 2005 - 06:29 PM.