3 replies to this topic

#1 davidlloydhoare

davidlloydhoare

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:04 AM

I am currently half way through my IMC training as an addon to my PPL which I gained last year at Exeter. I am flying the Dreamfleet Piper Archer in FS2004 which is very similar to the Warrior III that I use in my training. It's a great help and a lot less costly to practice!!

However the Dreamfleet Archer has a Rotatable card ADF, and the real aircraft that I will be tested in has an automatically aligning RMI. Is there a way that I can add an RMI to the existing Dreamfleet Archer panel, even if it's free floating and not part of the panel? I would be happy to purchase a downloadable addon if anyone knows wher to get one. Hope you can help.

Best wishes
David Lloyd-Hoare

#2 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:38 AM

Its very easy! You don't need to buy anything :D You just need to use Notepad.

1.  First look for a plane in your FS9 fleet that has the type of RMI you want (I think the default 737 panel has one).

2.BACKUP the panel.cfg of your Dreamfleet Archer.

3. Open the panel.cfg of the 737 & the Archer side by side in Notepad.

4.  In the 737 panel.cfg use CTRL+F to find the RMI entry. It will look something like this (where XX=next number in sequence):

gaugeXX=T737_rmi,  662,568,77,92

5.  In the Archer panel.cfg do the same search and find its RMI entry.

6.  Go back to the 737 RMI entry you found and just highlight & copy the NAME of the 737 gauge ignoring everything else. So using the above examle you just want to copy-paste this bit into the Archer RMI entry REPLACING the name of the Archers RMI:

T737_rmi

This is because you need to KEEP the original gauge number & the gauge cordinates (the sequence of four numbers) in the Archer panel. (If you just copy-paste the entire 737 entry you will still get the new RMI in the Archer...but it will appear in a funny location because you will be using 737-panel cordinates!)

So for example if your Archers RMI entry looked like this:
gauge47=Archer_RMI=253,477,172,177

You will change it to:
gauge47=T737_rmi=253,477,172,177
Notice how we left everything else untouched!

7. Save the Archer panel

8. Go fly - you should see the new RMI in place of the Archers old RMI.

--->

What you have done is make your Archer panel "call" the 737 RMI gauge. But because you only pasted the NAME of the 737's RMI your Archer panel will display the new RMI in the exact location of the old one.

If you like tweaking panels I strongly recommend a great little program called FS Panel Studio (£14). Its a graphical interface that lets you drag & drop anything into your panels using your mouse. Theres a free trial (restriction is it will not let you save). You will wonder how you did without it!!

FS PanelStudio website:
http://www.fspanelstudio.com/

Edited by ThrottleUp, 13 February 2006 - 08:00 AM.

#3 davidlloydhoare

davidlloydhoare

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:00 AM

Dear Nevin (Throtleup)

Thank you so much for your comprehensive and excellent reply which worked a treat! I now have the RMI from the Beech Baron comfortably installed in the Archer cockpit in all of the views. Thanks for taking the time.

David Lloyd-Hoare

#4 ThrottleUp

ThrottleUp

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

You're very welcome!

Nice one, glad it worked! :D