- - - - -

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were on a 747-400 on decent towards JFK and suddenly the 2 pilots become Unconscious?

If you were on a 747-400 on decent towards JFK and suddenly the 2 pilots become Unconscious?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 shoumik

shoumik

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

Just curious, in a state like this what would you do?

P.S answer choice 3 is considering that you have some flight experience, whether it is from flight simulator or the real world.

[COLOR=gray]sorry about the poll question, it should state the following: if u were in a 747-400 on decent toward Jfk and suddenly the 2 pilots become uncon. what would you do?

Edited by shoumik, 21 February 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Slippi

Slippi

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

OTHER- Hope that somebody read this poll and wrote a manual on what to do in this situation.

Edited by Slippi, 21 February 2006 - 02:21 PM.

#3 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:24 PM

Im guessing I would do nothing - in an actual situation.  The pilots have much better oxygen systems than the passengers get, that is if the plane depressurized, so if the pilots were unconcious so would everyone else.  But I wouldn't advise jumping into the water while at 30,000 feet either.

*Waits for all the people to come in and say how they would fly the plane because of their Flight Simulator experience*

#4 Liam.

Liam.

formerly Leeham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

I'd grab the flight controls and shout DIVE DIVE DIVE...

But then again I'm running on caffeine right now.

#5 Sensationalizer

Sensationalizer

formerly hammad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

id change the radio channel and call the airhostess.

( in other words pray to god and try to land the plane )  
its too late at night .... i cant think right.

Edited by hammad, 21 February 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#6 [V1]-[VR]-[V2]

[V1]-[VR]-[V2]

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:53 PM

FL050, on Feb 21 2006, 08:24 PM, said:

Im guessing I would do nothing - in an actual situation.  The pilots have much better oxygen systems than the passengers get, that is if the plane depressurized, so if the pilots were unconcious so would everyone else.  But I wouldn't advise jumping into the water while at 30,000 feet either.

*Waits for all the people to come in and say how they would fly the plane because of their Flight Simulator experience*
at least u know some basic stuff and i bet that if there aren't any other real life pilots on the flight i might be the one with the most knowledge

#7 Evan321

Evan321

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,123 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:05 PM

Try to fly it manually.

#8 CAT19_Hitman

CAT19_Hitman

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

I know your question is  hypothetical  but, if you were on a 747-400 on decent towards JFK and suddenly the 2 pilots become unconscious, how would you even know that they are unconscious?

By the time anyone became aware of it, if they ever did, it would be too late to do anything about it.

#9 motorman

motorman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

Forget the movie plot, it happened on a Cape Air flight  two or three summers ago.
I believe they were in a Cessna 421 golden eagle ,the pilot got sick and the right
seat passenger  (a female ramp attendant)  landed the plane.She was a student pilot after she landed the company told her they would pay for all her ratings.
As to the question if I was the only pilot onboard I would sure as ###### try to get the thing on the ground.
                                  motrman

#10 newflyer

newflyer

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

If you had done a little bit of simming in the PMDG, I believe you could get the plane down.  Obviously not manually, but if you know your way around the PMDG, you could engage the AP, call Center, tell them your predicament, let them give you vectors, whatever.  And set up an autoland, I think it could be done.

#11 Fede

Fede

2006 Screenshot Hotshot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Try to fly the aircraft and land on JFK of course :D  :D

#12 motorman

motorman

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

There is a kids movie called Final APProach  with Eric Roberts(Julia's brother)
where the flight sim scenario is played out .The movie is a lttle silly but it is worth
watching  from the flight sim point of view.

#13 shoumik

shoumik

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

I agree with u guys, i would also try to land the 747. Obviously if nobody else does nothing there is NO chance of survival (considering that god wasnt going to help us). Even if i have very little experience, there is still a slight chance of landing it safely. Anything is better than nothing. But then again, how would the passengers feel to have a 14 year old enthusiastic flying a 747-400!!! lol.  :D

#14 Martel

Martel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

I would just sit there and wait till I die without doing anything about it.
Screaming like a little girl....
Posted Image

J/K
C'mon.  Of course I would fly it.

#15 Speedbird_one

Speedbird_one

formerly 01hthochr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

Get onto ATC. JFK has Cat III no?

#16 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

Maybe the smart thing to do is see if there's anyone who actually does know how to fly the plane. Trust me, you won't be able to put the thing down because you play with PMDG. Pilots have to know exactly where every little knob, switch, gauge, and button is without even looking (I've talked to a pilot before and he said they actually blindfold you and put you in the cockpit, then ask you 'Ok, point to this or that'. If you can't do that, then you don't fly.) In a flying, just about everything depends on timing, and you can't have someone at the controls who has to look around for things.  

Edit: besides, how will you get in the cockpit? The door's locked! And if you think whoever can open it is even going to consider letting someone with no 747 expeirence, who says 'I play MS FS, especially someone as young as many of you, even into the cockpit, let alone the controls, you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by Zarquen, 21 February 2006 - 06:11 PM.

#17 shoumik

shoumik

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

Zarquen, on Feb 21 2006, 06:07 PM, said:

Maybe the smart thing to do is see if there's anyone who actually does know how to fly the plane. Trust me, you won't be able to put the thing down because you play with PMDG. Pilots have to know exactly where every little knob, switch, gauge, and button is without even looking (I've talked to a pilot before and he said they actually blindfold you and put you in the cockpit, then ask you 'Ok, point to this or that'. If you can't do that, then you don't fly.) In a flying, just about everything depends on timing, and you can't have someone at the controls who has to look around for things.  

Edit: besides, how will you get in the cockpit? The door's locked! And if you think whoever can open it is even going to consider letting someone with no 747 expeirence, who says 'I play MS FS, especially someone as young as many of you, even into the cockpit, let alone the controls, you are sadly mistaken.
dude i didn't put this poll for the actual thing. I was just curious at what people would do in a situation like this. No big deal....

#18 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

Exactly, and what you would do is directly related to what you could do.

#19 Carter

Carter

Passenger

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

I took off, flew, and landed a level-D MD-11 simulator, without help. I should be able to do the same for a 744.

#20 YakYak

YakYak

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

I'm sure everyone who plays fs9 thinks about what he/she would do in this situation. Good topic, i'm sure it'll continue to spark a lot of conversation in here.

I'm a real world pilot in GA planes, but have only sim experience in heavies. But there is a HUGE difference between real and simulated. Take a real Cessna 172 for example. I don't think a person who's only has fs9 experience can land it in real life on their first try....crashing it onto the runway...maybe.

Fs9 doesn't do a FULL simulation...not even at the GA level. Landing is the hardest and most dangerous part...and fs9's sim of it is faaaaarr from perfect. There are so many factors that come into play during that few minutes on final. And if you don't know your way around a real cockpit and have a feel for the plane...you're not gonna make it.

I guess in this situation, it's better to have someone in that seat with at least some real world experience. Best would be to team up a GA pilot with a PMDG sim guy....and work it out as a team.

They'll also probably devert you to somewhere else. A busy airport like JFK is too risky for a sim-pilot to land.

To sum up, a PMDG only pilot probably can bring the plane down...but not safely. Most likely the plane will crash/stall/over-shoot the runway on final....but it's worth a try i guess.....better than running out of fuel and crashing into the sea....

-fz