- - - - -

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were on a 747-400 on decent towards JFK and suddenly the 2 pilots become Unconscious?

If you were on a 747-400 on decent towards JFK and suddenly the 2 pilots become Unconscious?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 shoumik

shoumik

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

experimental_pilot, on Feb 24 2006, 10:40 PM, said:

shoumik, on Feb 24 2006, 09:22 PM, said:

of course they would know that the pilots are unconcious. The first people to know would be the flight attendent, they go and speak to the pilots and they sereve food HELLO! Then the passengers would know because they would announce on the speaker. Durrr......  :D
They don't serve food on descent.
my point is that they would know if the pilots are uncon.

#122 Antimod

Antimod

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:48 AM

Pray or do nothing. Jumping out from a fast aircraft into the water without anything is equal to death. Land a real 747? Sounds really stupid (sorry). First of all, you should be able to get into the cockpit, which is closed these days due to fear of terrorists (am I not right?), so it may sound horrible, but there's nothing, you can do (instead of praying).

#123 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:17 AM

Sit and wait while my underwear turns into a sickening shade of brown....

#124 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

Pray to God but of course I won't solely rely on God to magically make the plane land on the runway, because in reality thatll never happen. Our prayers might make God ease our paths but then again we must also help ourselves. :) Of course if we all die we'll go to heavan so just because God didn't help us during the crash doesnt mean he doesnt like us. :D

Anyways so if that scenario happens, we'll first check if any person has basic flight experience. If not, Ill happily enter the cockpit with somebody else and try landing the plane. If we don't succeed, well then, we die as martyrs :D

#125 Andie

Andie

Private Pilot - VFR

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Ask flight attendants if i can land the plane and whatever. or just hope the plane will glide its self onto the runway without snapping :D

#126 mistahimaskwa

mistahimaskwa

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

just remember, it doesn't have to be a perfect landing :D
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"  :D

#127 ZEUSES

ZEUSES

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

well i will try to program FMC and land the plane on a full automatic CAT III ILS approach :D

#128 ZEUSES

ZEUSES

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

mohammad, on Feb 26 2006, 11:46 AM, said:

Ill happily enter the cockpit
  :D  :D  :)  :lol:

happily huh?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#129 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

FL050, on Feb 22 2006, 07:19 PM, said:

shoumik, on Feb 21 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

as737700, on Feb 21 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

Since it's a 747, it's likely that it came from a far place and had a 3rd pilot on board...so i would let him do his job.

If not, i'd probably try to do an autoland
thats a good point, but when i was doing this poll i didn't take that as a consideration. My veiw was that it had 2 pilots which is also very likely....
Two pilots are required on all flights operating under FAR 91 that is over 8 hours.  There are only a select few flights below 8 hours in a 747, if at all?

I'm a real world pilot in GA planes, but have only sim experience in heavies. But there is a HUGE difference between real and simulated. Take a real Cessna 172 for example. I don't think a person who's only has fs9 experience can land it in real life on their first try....crashing it onto the runway...maybe.

I agree.  I think they could land it but would nose-wheel the ###### out of the landing break something off, but I think it could be done.
yes, but airlines do NOT operate under 91. I believe it's 121.. Different set of regulations. That's one thing my Commercial ground professor stresses! (she flew the 73 for UA).

Well, obviously having 121 hours of flight time and enough instrument knowledge to get signed off for the checkride(friday!!!). Doing the approach itsself would not be as big of a deal when compared to someone with less experience.. Woul I perform to airline standards? no. Won't even come close. Sure, I may keep the plane steady and what not.. but Murphy's law always has some extra kick in it! Watch the wx be reporting Cat II conditions.. With an engine failure (must do manual approach then..). Then, winds are gusting to 31... Just a bad situation.. Who would continue to JFK and who would Divert... I my self would continue to JFK, try the approach knowing that in the event I do go missed, I have enough power to do a sucessful go-around and then divert to our alternate (probably IAD)..

Flying the aircraft would be hard though. Jumping from a C172->744 or for some, FS->744. is a huge step. Would I be able to land it.. yes.. how well, probably not very! But, it's better than dying right?

Edited by C172pilot, 26 February 2006 - 06:35 PM.

#130 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:45 PM

There are some good idea's here.. But, some won't work...

They would not let you land at a military air base.. Andrew's? yea right!

You would have fighters on your wing till you touch down. That is just a given.

As you WILL declare an Emergency you are allowed (by FAA 91.123 regulations) to deviate from any regulation as to meet the need of the emergency.  (whether or not you can go to a military airbase.. Don't know).

Flying in FS and flying in the RW are so different. A 172 is a Cat A aircraft.. shoot approaches at 90kts.. I wanted to try doing it in Cat B (120kts).. There is quite a difference! Now, add 300,000lbs.. You got yourself a bit of a sweaty t-shirt!

Your best bet would be to have another person with you, be it an F/A who is familar with the aircraft or even another(better yet) pilot or FS'er if there is one.

antimod.. You can get access to the flightdeck from the cabin. IIRC, the phone acts like a keypad or something? Or, you can radio flight ops and they can unlock it remotely.. I don't know the details as it's been about 1-2 years since I read it.. but it is possible...

#131 C172pilot

C172pilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

NickB, on Feb 24 2006, 01:47 AM, said:

well id at least TRY to fly it.......i mean if you do land all the girls will wanna go out with you lol j/k anywho id try and fly it,although im pretty crap on landings its worth a try
LOL! In the words of Dane Cook.. "CHICKS DUDE.. CHICKS!!!"