16 replies to this topic

#1 coffeebeans

coffeebeans

formerly MrDonovan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hey there, decided to write a tutorial on the CRJ-200 made by Wilco/feelThere. It's a great in-depth plane and deserves a tutorial; it can get a little confusing! The CRJ does come with a quick flight guide which will whip you through the basics, but it only really scratches the surface.

First of all, the CRJ-200 does not have an autothrottle. Therefore, W/fT did not include an autothrottle in their CRJ. This will require a little more work but is much more fun (in my opinion, anyway)

The W/fT CRJ doesn't have little icons to click on the panel to bring up the other parts of the panel, instead use the SHIFT+1, SHIFT+2, etc.

Let's start:

When you load up FS and start with your variation of the CRJ (VC, 2D, etc.) and hit Fly Now! you'll be brought straight to the flight deck with running engines, APU's, the whole deal. I personally don't like just starting out with everything already set up for me, so I'll shut everything off before starting. If you decide to start out like this, then follow these steps:

1. Turn on the battery by clicking the BATTERY MASTER switch on the overhead.

2. You need to start the APU. So open up the overhead panel and first open the APU door by clicking PWR FUEL button in APU section. (It's in the middle) Now that the APU door is open you can go ahead and open the APU LCV by clicking the appropriate button in the 10th stage section. (Above the PWR FUEL button). You're supposed to also open the ISOL valve, but I find the button doesn't work on my model. The APU is ready to be started. Go ahead and click the START/STOP button next to the PWR FUEL. You'll notice on the main panel that the APU RPM will start spooling up. When it gets to 100% turn on the APU GEN switch in the electrical department.

3. You're ready to turn on the packs. Turn them both on, you'll know when they're on, they're loud and annoying.

4. Turn on all of your hydraulics, they can all be switched to AUTO after the APU has been started. Convienient....

5. Bring up the FMS. It will show the STATUS page, it should also say CHK POS in yellow at the bottom. Click the corresponding button next to POS INIT. Punch in the airport that you're at in the scratchpad and paste it in the AIRPORT section. This will bring up a latitude/longitude of where you're at. Down select the new lat/long that came up, and paste it back again in the SET POS section. Now the FMS knows where it is.

6. You're ready to input your route. Continute to the FPLN area. You'll see ORGIN and DEST. Guess what you'll put there? That's right. Put in the airport you're departing in the DEST and, well you get the picture on that. Click on the DEP/ARR button, and select the runway you're going to be taking off on. Go back to the FPLN page, and input the first waypoint in the TO section, and so on and so forth. The VIA section does not work. Once you're done with that continue to the PERF INIT page, and input how many passengers you're taking, the cargo, fuel, cruising altitude, etc. You're done with the FMS. If you plan on using the NAV feature, and have autopilot follow the track, press SHIFT+4, and scroll through on the NAV SOURCE wheel to select FMS, it will come up grey on the MFD. This is a common mistake and can be frustrating when the plane doesn't follow the track.

7. You can now start the engines. Turn off the packs before you start the engines. Make sure you have the parking brake on, the CRJ tends to creep forward even at idle. On the overhead click on IGNITION A, and then START for L ENGINE. On the throttles, when N2 reaches about 20%, right click on the thrust lever for the appropriate engine to burst it into life. Do the same for the other engine, too. After they're started turn the packs back on. On the glareshield, set your initial altitude and your speed. Make sure its fast enough. (duh!)

8. When you're ready for takeoff, make sure your trim is in the green area, (7.3+) and flaps at least 20. Also make sure you're N1 limit is set for T/O. (In the FMS PERF page) Once you've taken off, at 1,200 feet, turn OFF the 10th stage bleeds. (The ones on the far left and right). Hit the SPEED button on the glareshield, and turn on the autopilot. Since the CRJ has no autothrottle, the plane will pitch itself so that with the current throttle it will maintain this speed. Smart plane, huh? At 10,000 feet turn off the APU, you don't need it from here on up. But you will later. Set the autopilot, etc.

9. When cruising make sure the N1 limit is set to CRZ.

10. Descending is very simple and needs not explanation, although at 10,000 feet start the APU again.

11. The CRJ is easy to fly in visually, but maybe that isn't available. You need the ILS with the current weather. Follow the ATC's vectors. Bring up SHIFT+4 and select VOR1, or if you're in range and tuned to the ILS, LOC1 will come up in green. I usually enter the ILS 220 and under. Hit the APP and follow a routine ILS approach. Keep dropping some flaps and lowering the speed, watching it closely (200, 180, etc.) The CRJ likes 160 on final, then 140 with full flaps. The CRJ lands fast, around 140. It's a bit tricky landing without a bounce, very satisfying when you nail it. Don't over-pitch or you'll float, don't under-pitch or you'll smack it down. (obviously) At about 50 feet, drop it to idle and flare. Once the tires touch the runway the spoliers will automatically deploy, you're job is the reverse thrust. Clear the runway, turn off the neccessary lights, etc. Put down the spoilers and taxi in.

12. Turn off the engines, APU, etc.

Congratulations, you flew that like a pro. With practice you'll be an expert in no time. The CRJ is a beautiful plane, fun to fly and overall awesome!  :lol:  

Thank's for reading, hopefully it's of some use to some people.  :D

#2 Saabdriver

Saabdriver

formerly Steveo1kinevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

I actually just today bought this aircraft and enjoy it alot!  Thanks for this Tutorial...very good read. :lol:

- Steve

#3 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Dude, Awesome Tut. I love this plane

#4 kamakazi

kamakazi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

Nice tutorial...

#5 bmolko

bmolko

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

perfect :lol: ... i hope u soon make another for the 737  :lol:

#6 ScottW

ScottW

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the tutorial. I've just done my first round trip on the plane and didn't crash.....always a good thing.

A couple of issues I've found:

When setting up the FMS, entering the OAT doesn't seem to bring up the TO thrust setting. Climb and cruise are there, but not the TO.

Also, I haven't found out how to monitor the glide path. The plane seems to follow it automatically, but it would be nice to see how I'm doing. Anyone know how to find that?

Thanks,
Scott

#7 E-mage

E-mage

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

View Postcoffeebeans, on May 16 2006, 01:25 AM, said:

W/fT

I keep reading that as wt f

Edited by E-mage, 30 May 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#8 Evan.

Evan.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostScottW, on May 28 2011, 11:19 AM, said:

Thanks for the tutorial. I've just done my first round trip on the plane and didn't crash.....always a good thing.

A couple of issues I've found:

When setting up the FMS, entering the OAT doesn't seem to bring up the TO thrust setting. Climb and cruise are there, but not the TO.

Also, I haven't found out how to monitor the glide path. The plane seems to follow it automatically, but it would be nice to see how I'm doing. Anyone know how to find that?

Thanks,
Scott

For the takeoff power setting, hit the key next to the "10th/Cowl/Off" line (there's one other value I forget what it is). One of those will bring up takeoff power settings.

The glidepath information should be on the PFD, I believe just to the left of the altitude tape.

#9 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

Just want to add a few things in here.

View Postcoffeebeans, on May 15 2006, 08:25 PM, said:

2. You need to start the APU. So open up the overhead panel and first open the APU door by clicking PWR FUEL button in APU section. (It's in the middle) Now that the APU door is open you can go ahead and open the APU LCV by clicking the appropriate button in the 10th stage section. (Above the PWR FUEL button). You're supposed to also open the ISOL valve, but I find the button doesn't work on my model. The APU is ready to be started. Go ahead and click the START/STOP button next to the PWR FUEL. You'll notice on the main panel that the APU RPM will start spooling up. When it gets to 100% turn on the APU GEN switch in the electrical department.

3. You're ready to turn on the packs. Turn them both on, you'll know when they're on, they're loud and annoying.

When you press the PWR FUEL switch, you're waiting for the APU BITE white status message to appear, and then go way. Once it does the BITE, you can start the APU. The APU ISO is usually left in the OPEN position, and the LCV is closed for start. In real world, there is a 2 minute delay from APU start to bleed loading to prevent EGT spiking on the APU.

5. Bring up the FMS. It will show the STATUS page, it should also say CHK POS in yellow at the bottom. Click the corresponding button next to POS INIT. Punch in the airport that you're at in the scratchpad and paste it in the AIRPORT section. This will bring up a latitude/longitude of where you're at. Down select the new lat/long that came up, and paste it back again in the SET POS section. Now the FMS knows where it is.

I dunno how the modelling is, but on the POS INIT page, you should go to page 2 and select the GPS position.

7. You can now start the engines. Turn off the packs before you start the engines. Make sure you have the parking brake on, the CRJ tends to creep forward even at idle. On the overhead click on IGNITION A, and then START for L ENGINE. On the throttles, when N2 reaches about 20%, right click on the thrust lever for the appropriate engine to burst it into life. Do the same for the other engine, too. After they're started turn the packs back on. On the glareshield, set your initial altitude and your speed. Make sure its fast enough. (duh!)

Don't forget to turn the fuel pumps on before starting the engines! Also, make sure that the ITT is below 120*C before moving the throttle level shut off to idle.

8. When you're ready for takeoff, make sure your trim is in the green area, (7.3+) and flaps at least 20. Also make sure you're N1 limit is set for T/O. (In the FMS PERF page) Once you've taken off, at 1,200 feet, turn OFF the 10th stage bleeds. (The ones on the far left and right). Hit the SPEED button on the glareshield, and turn on the autopilot. Since the CRJ has no autothrottle, the plane will pitch itself so that with the current throttle it will maintain this speed. Smart plane, huh? At 10,000 feet turn off the APU, you don't need it from here on up. But you will later. Set the autopilot, etc.

Most take offs are flaps 8, unless its a short runway. Now on a 900, a lot of times flaps are flaps 20. Normal procedure for the -200 is also to have the APU run unti takeoff. On the takeoff checklist is when the APU is turned off. Bleeds are also set to the engine at the time too. Why runs the bleeds off the engine until 1200' and then put them on the APU?

10. Descending is very simple and needs not explanation, although at 10,000 feet start the APU again.

Normally in hot weather its turned on at 10,000 feet. If a location has ground power and air, then its kept off untill 10 minutes before start.

11. The CRJ is easy to fly in visually, but maybe that isn't available. You need the ILS with the current weather. Follow the ATC's vectors. Bring up SHIFT+4 and select VOR1, or if you're in range and tuned to the ILS, LOC1 will come up in green. I usually enter the ILS 220 and under. Hit the APP and follow a routine ILS approach. Keep dropping some flaps and lowering the speed, watching it closely (200, 180, etc.) The CRJ likes 160 on final, then 140 with full flaps. The CRJ lands fast, around 140. It's a bit tricky landing without a bounce, very satisfying when you nail it. Don't over-pitch or you'll float, don't under-pitch or you'll smack it down. (obviously) At about 50 feet, drop it to idle and flare. Once the tires touch the runway the spoliers will automatically deploy, you're job is the reverse thrust. Clear the runway, turn off the neccessary lights, etc. Put down the spoilers and taxi in.

Our profile is 200 knots clean, 180-flaps 8 on vectors, 180-flaps 20 joining the localizer, 160-gear down-flaps 30 when 1.5 dots above the g/s, and Vref+5-flaps 45 before GS intercept. Best for real world is about 65%-70% N1 power, 2.5* nose down. At 100' AGL, power starts to come to idle, and fully at idle at 50'. Flare is no more than 1.5*-2.5* nose up.

View PostEvan., on Jun 6 2011, 09:33 AM, said:

For the takeoff power setting, hit the key next to the "10th/Cowl/Off" line (there's one other value I forget what it is). One of those will bring up takeoff power settings.

The glidepath information should be on the PFD, I believe just to the left of the altitude tape.

The glidepath info will come up for ILS. Otherwise, vertical guidance can be selected on the Perf page which will give the snowflake descent path for everything else. And I dunno if its modeled or not, but the real airplane actually knows if your bleed source of on the engine, if a/i is on, or if its a bleeds off take off.

If anyone has any questions on the CRJ (200/700/900), let me know.

#10 comicpilot

comicpilot

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Coffeebeans and 89-LX,

Thanks for the info on this airplane.  I recently bought the WILCO CRJ (a few years late)... I actually signed up on this website just to post in this topic.  

Quick question.  I  know the -100/200 have no autothrottle, however the -700 and -900s have a FADEC type of system don't they?  I am fairly unfamiliar with the system.  Is it simulated well in the WILCO?  For example, you said that after takeoff in the -200 to press the "SPEED" button to maintain proper pitch on climb with current N1 setting?  Does that mean you can't have the "VSI" hold on the autopilot in the climb?  I do not have a throttle system for flightsim and only have the yoke/ joystick- does that make a difference?  

Also, in the FMS I am having an issue selecting a SID/STAR.  I can bring up the runway select, and then it displays the various SIDS/ STARS, but when I <sel> one it shows <sel> but never seems to properly enter it into the ROUTE in the FMS.  Any ideas?  I have the PSS 777, Ifly 737 and QW 757 with no issues on selecting SIDS/STARS and their applicable transitions.

BTW-  anybody merged the POSKY crjs (200/700/900) to the WILCO?  Im having minor issues on merge for the 700 and 900.

Your explanations have been helpful.  Much appreciated.  Thanks.

#11 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

View Postcomicpilot, on Jun 16 2011, 10:42 PM, said:

Quick question.  I  know the -100/200 have no autothrottle, however the -700 and -900s have a FADEC type of system don't they?  I am fairly unfamiliar with the system.  Is it simulated well in the WILCO?  For example, you said that after takeoff in the -200 to press the "SPEED" button to maintain proper pitch on climb with current N1 setting?  Does that mean you can't have the "VSI" hold on the autopilot in the climb?

The CRJ's don't have an A/T. The -700/-900 both have FADEC which control engine operation, but doesn't actually control throttle inputs for speeds. It will only control actual fuel scheduling. I dunno how its simulated, so I cannot provide input on that. With the SPEED button, it will maintain a pitch for a given power. On the -200, you need to adjust power in the climb as to maintain a constant mach. In the -7/-9, the FADEC will control N1 speed in the Climb detent. Personally, I use the VSI for a lot of climbs and descents because on speed mode, it has a tendency to porpoise in speed mode. With speed mode, its less work so you don't feel the actual flight effects in FS so that may be easier. VSI mode you have to just watch what you're airspeed is doing and adjust from there.

View Postcomicpilot, on Jun 16 2011, 10:42 PM, said:

Also, in the FMS I am having an issue selecting a SID/STAR.  I can bring up the runway select, and then it displays the various SIDS/ STARS, but when I <sel> one it shows <sel> but never seems to properly enter it into the ROUTE in the FMS.  Any ideas?  I have the PSS 777, Ifly 737 and QW 757 with no issues on selecting SIDS/STARS and their applicable transitions.

What we do in the airplane is select the STAR/SID first, and then the runway. I dunno what would cause your problem at all. Are you executing it after your put it? Whats it doing to the route in the FMS?

#12 comicpilot

comicpilot

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

View Post89-LX, on Jun 17 2011, 07:20 PM, said:

What we do in the airplane is select the STAR/SID first, and then the runway. I dunno what would cause your problem at all. Are you executing it after your put it? Whats it doing to the route in the FMS?

yeah i'm not sure either. I will try to do another flight in the sim and see if I can figure it out..  As for the throttle stuff I don't think WILCO simulated the FADEC very well, if at all.  Iuse the VSI mode and monitor speed accordingly.  It's all good, because when I fly The cessna/ piper stuff in real life I have no autothrottle so more discipline in monitor speed in a vertical change is a good thing.

#13 Pattyboy10

Pattyboy10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:33 AM

David, why keep APU rinning until TO, and put it on at 10 000 going down ? What's the purpose of that.

We will turn off APU after engine start, and put it on after landing

#14 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

Did anyone else realise this thread is 5 years old?

#15 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostPattyboy10, on Jun 18 2011, 03:33 AM, said:

David, why keep APU rinning until TO, and put it on at 10 000 going down ? What's the purpose of that.

We will turn off APU after engine start, and put it on after landing

The environmental system on the -200 is garbage. The engines put out almost no pressure at idle, so we keep the APU running until the takeoff checklist to provide airflow to the passengers and us when its hot. The -700 and -900 doesn't have that problem, but if its really hot and we're taxing single engine, we will keep the APU running for pax comfort. Otherwise, its off after engine start.

View PostTHBatMan8, on Jun 18 2011, 03:04 PM, said:

Did anyone else realise this thread is 5 years old?

Nope, lol.

#16 comicpilot

comicpilot

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

View Post89-LX, on Jun 19 2011, 02:04 PM, said:

The environmental system on the -200 is garbage. The engines put out almost no pressure at idle, so we keep the APU running until the takeoff checklist to provide airflow to the passengers and us when its hot. The -700 and -900 doesn't have that problem, but if its really hot and we're taxing single engine, we will keep the APU running for pax comfort. Otherwise, its off after engine start.

I have heard that in order for the Bleeds for anti icing to work on the -200 you have to keep the throttle or N1 setting above a certain power setting...?  With that I heard it makes it a bit tough on descent having to keep the speed up some in order to get "hot wings..."  That true..?  i am wanting to fly a turboprop more and more everyday...

#17 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

View Postcomicpilot, on Jun 19 2011, 06:42 PM, said:

I have heard that in order for the Bleeds for anti icing to work on the -200 you have to keep the throttle or N1 setting above a certain power setting...?  With that I heard it makes it a bit tough on descent having to keep the speed up some in order to get "hot wings..."  That true..?  i am wanting to fly a turboprop more and more everyday...

Yes and no. Anytime the SAT is 10*C or less (unless TAT is -40*C or less), the cowl anti-ice must be on in visible moisture or if conditions are conductive to the formation of icing. The wing anti-ice must be on if the airspeed is less then 230 knots. Both must be on anytime the ice light comes on. With the wing anti-ice, the engines need to be at a certain N1 speed to provide the pressure needed for engine operation and to keep the cowls and wings hot. The speed is approx 65%-70% N1, which is perfectly fine for approach as the -200 shoots approaches at about 65% N1 power anyways.