58 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

If you're a pirate I'm not going to try to tell you in this topic that piracy is wrong - you have already convinced yourself otherwise.  However, know that 3 members have lost their posting priviledges this week because they bragged/mentioned/asked for help because they use pirated versions of MS Flight Simulator or other programs.  We have not become more strict in our anti-piracy views, but for some reason this week everybody started asking for help with their pirated copies of software.  We don't like to ban our members, so consider this a warning.  Don't do it!  And for the love of all things good please don't ask us how to make illegal copies or otherwise pirate software.  That's just asking for attention that you don't want. :D

Thanks,
Jon

#2 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

What i don't understand is why is pirated software so regulary aviliable on the web ??

Surely theres a way to stamp out piracy for once in for all before we start losing some great payware devlopers ?

Its unfair to full payers, and the devlopers, i as one am sick of it, Im happy i paid for my products, the money goes towards future devlopments and keeping the company's in business.

#3 mistahmiles

mistahmiles

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Unfortunately, there will be no way to stop it. Someone will always have a legitimate copy, someone will always be willing to share it, and someone will always be willing to crack it.

#4 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:36 AM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Apr 19 2008, 04:09 AM, said:

What i don't understand is why is pirated software so regulary aviliable on the web ??

Surely theres a way to stamp out piracy for once in for all before we start losing some great payware devlopers ?

Its unfair to full payers, and the devlopers, i as one am sick of it, Im happy i paid for my products, the money goes towards future devlopments and keeping the company's in business.

View Postmistahmiles, on Apr 19 2008, 04:40 AM, said:

Unfortunately, there will be no way to stop it. Someone will always have a legitimate copy, someone will always be willing to share it, and someone will always be willing to crack it.

From my understanding, the moment the authorities manage to pull the plug on a pirate website, people will just go and start a new one. Whole issue is that there's so many pirates.

There's no doubt that stopping piracy is nigh on impossible but obviously I, the rest of the moderating team as well as Brad/Jon will not stand for any promotion of illegal activities and as shown, we have no problem in removing people in our community that mention what they do and how.

#5 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

The fact remains though, that piracy has become a major factor of the Internet. I seriously doubt that anyone, with an Internet connection has managed to avoid piracy. Even hearing just two seconds of a pop song used in a home video is technically breaking the law. Unfortunately, that's the way the Internet was turned.

#6 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:23 PM

The internet is full of piracy. Maybe if it was just the beginning of the internet, when Piracy started, then it could be stopped, but it's gone way too far now. Even if you search for something such as a software name on a search engine, theres piracy links everywhere. It's all over the web, and nearly everything is available.

It's mostly because of the internet being world-wide. There are different laws, depending on where the servers hosting the pirated material(s) are located. As far as I understand, most piracy websites has servers located in the middle east, as their laws accept it or something, not sure. Even though piracy cannot be stopped for once and for all, if every country treated it more seriously then it could lower down, but thats as far as it would go.

Edited by sharkbate24, 24 April 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#7 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

exactly. It's just impossible to stop it completely. That's the problem. It's a shame in a way. But we've only got ourselves to blame.

#8 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

View PostWokhead, on Apr 24 2008, 02:29 PM, said:

exactly. It's just impossible to stop it completely. That's the problem. It's a shame in a way. But we've only got ourselves to blame.

Then again, we're all human. People go through money problems, need software to earn money, but can't afford the software, so they turn towards piracy. Hence, a multiplier effect begins, he/she downloads, then shares etc.

If a software company made something to stop piracy, no-doubt within 1 month a crack / bypasser will have already been made. No point in the effort.

Maybe theres no point in wasting time in trying to stop it - it will always be there, whatever we do. One of my Freeware software called 'SnapShot', even though its freeware and fine, after about 3 days of it's first release, it was already available from 5 different torrent websites. Shows how fast software availability spreads from one website, to a huge amount. Again, a multiplier effect. Freeware / Shareware / Adware, whatever, is always available as Freeware on the internet which is a huge shame.

Software programming takes years to study, and if you wish to do it as a career, can cost a fortune. Ashame that programmers basically lose out from piracy.

I remember going to this Car boot sale somewhere ages ago. I was at a software stall, and I checked that all the software was legit, and the owner said yes, and the prices fit reasonably. But what amazed me was, at that legal car-boot seller, with legal software, there was only about me and 3 others looking around, but in a stall with copied pirated CD's, there were literally about 20 (over-crowded), and no-one said anything to it. Thats how piracy attracts more people than legal software does.

Thanks.

Edited by sharkbate24, 24 April 2008 - 02:40 PM.

#9 WF10

WF10

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

View Postsharkbate24, on Apr 24 2008, 02:40 PM, said:

View PostWokhead, on Apr 24 2008, 02:29 PM, said:

Then again, we're all human. People go through money problems, need software to earn money, but can't afford the software, so they turn towards piracy. Hence, a multiplier effect begins, he/she downloads, then shares etc.

If a software company made something to stop piracy, no-doubt within 1 month a crack / bypasser will have already been made. No point in the effort.

Maybe theres no point in wasting time in trying to stop it - it will always be there, whatever we do. One of my Freeware software called 'SnapShot', even though its freeware and fine, after about 3 days of it's first release, it was already available from 5 different torrent websites. Shows how fast software availability spreads from one website, to a huge amount. Again, a multiplier effect. Freeware / Shareware / Adware, whatever, is always available as Freeware on the internet which is a huge shame.

Software programming takes years to study, and if you wish to do it as a career, can cost a fortune. Ashame that programmers basically lose out from piracy.

I remember going to this Car boot sale somewhere ages ago. I was at a software stall, and I checked that all the software was legit, and the owner said yes, and the prices fit reasonably. But what amazed me was, at that legal car-boot seller, with legal software, there was only about me and 3 others looking around, but in a stall with copied pirated CD's, there were literally about 20 (over-crowded), and no-one said anything to it. Thats how piracy attracts more people than legal software does.

Thanks.

you made snapshot? That was on the fron cover of this months PC pilot!

#10 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Yeah I made SnapShot. I know it was in PC Pilot Magazine Cover CD hehe. They offered to send me a magazine for free to have it on, but I just said I'm gonna pop down the shop and buy one. It's just in the CD right, not front cover?

Thanks.

#11 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

I think in the case of Pirating Flight Sim stuff is that alot of younger members who don't work, go to school cannot afford the payware addons that cost I suppose on average about $20 maybe more. The only way they can get the money is off their parents who won't always say yes to a PSS757 or PMDG 747 hence they find otherways to get it.

I suppose its just one of those things that cannot be avoided. The only thing is for developers to find ways that make it impossible for products to be ripped like the PMDG 747. Anyone who knows will know that unactivated copies or copies with dodgy activation with the PMDG 747 will know the CRT Displays go blank and won't operate. This innovation is probaly the only way that this sort of thing can be stopped or reduced.

#12 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

View Postlpf20011, on Apr 24 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

I think in the case of Pirating Flight Sim stuff is that alot of younger members who don't work, go to school cannot afford the payware addons that cost I suppose on average about $20 maybe more. The only way they can get the money is off their parents who won't always say yes to a PSS757 or PMDG 747 hence they find otherways to get it.

I suppose its just one of those things that cannot be avoided. The only thing is for developers to find ways that make it impossible for products to be ripped like the PMDG 747. Anyone who knows will know that unactivated copies or copies with dodgy activation with the PMDG 747 will know the CRT Displays go blank and won't operate. This innovation is probaly the only way that this sort of thing can be stopped or reduced.

Too right. But you know the saying "The cheaper an item, the more buyers" or however it goes hehe. Personally, I'm not a pirate, and never will be. Either I buy software or get freeware alternatives.

I use Open Office because Microsoft Office costs a huge price. They have a Students edition, which costs £99, just about to buy that, but you can see that the prices are huge, especially for a student edition.

A great website for open source / freeware alternatives is: www.osalt.com which is great, just wish everyone would do that.

Thanks.

#13 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

Everyone on this site is a pirate even if you don't admit it. Maybe you don't steal FS payware but even downloading a song to put in a film or just to put it on an MP3 is still pirating!

Only problem is that even these product like the PMDG 747 even with all the innovation can still be cracked and used. No way to stop it. If someone can think of an innovation someone else can break it.

Edited by Westjet737, 24 April 2008 - 03:41 PM.

#14 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

View PostWestjet737, on Apr 24 2008, 09:38 PM, said:

Everyone on this site is a pirate even if you don't admit it. Maybe you don't steal FS payware but even downloading a song to put in a film or just to put it on an MP3 is still pirating!

You have an extremely valid point, there is far too much hypocracy when piracy is involved - it shouldn't be supported and it shouldn't be condoned, but it cannot be stopped and I'm sure everyone will have pirated something in their lifetime, I know I have...

#15 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

You have an extremely valid point, there is far too much hypocracy when piracy is involved - it shouldn't be supported and it shouldn't be condoned, but it cannot be stopped and I'm sure everyone will have pirated something in their lifetime, I know I have...

Exactly. I've pirated as well. Just becasue its not flight sim products doesn't mean its okay. You can't really bad mouth piracy unless you've never even downloaded a song and then even at that got rid of it.

#16 Nick.

Nick.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

View PostWestjet737, on Apr 25 2008, 06:47 AM, said:

I've pirated as well.
Who hasnt? Piracy will NEVER be fully removed from the internet,but piracy only exists for you to save a quick buck. or $1500

#17 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Just to reiterate though, just because most have done it, it does not make it acceptable :lol: Just thought I'd make sure that point was put across clearly hehe.

#18 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

View PostNick., on Apr 24 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

I've pirated as well.
Who hasnt? Piracy will NEVER be fully removed from the internet,but piracy only exists for you to save a quick buck. or $1500

It occurred to me the other day. Would Photoshop really be that expensive, if all the people who illegally pirated it, actually bought it? I mean, are we looking at £30/$65 as opposed to £300/$650??? (they're probably no where near accurate conversions, but for arguments sake, you get what I mean)

#19 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

View PostWokhead, on Apr 24 2008, 10:14 PM, said:

View PostNick., on Apr 24 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

I've pirated as well.

It occurred to me the other day. Would Photoshop really be that expensive, if all the people who illegally pirated it, actually bought it? I mean, are we looking at £30/$65 as opposed to £300/$650??? (they're probably no where near accurate conversions, but for arguments sake, you get what I mean)

No, because Adobe are a business and they're only in it for the profit, the higher the margin they have the better it is for them.

#20 Robin.

Robin.

Contributor\Download Manager\formerly Robin.B

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

View PostWokhead, on Apr 25 2008, 12:14 AM, said:

Adobe makes the big money from companies who purchase their software and the price has NOTHING to do with piracy. In any case, Piracy means people aren't buying the software, resulting in reduced sales. Reduced demand = lower price, not higher price.
If FlightSim developers are upping their prices now because of piracy (which they aren't), they are doing the wrong thing, as that will just put legal customers away from buying.

Edited by Robin., 24 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.