sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

View PostRobin., on Apr 24 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

View PostWokhead, on Apr 25 2008, 12:14 AM, said:

It occurred to me the other day. Would Photoshop really be that expensive, if all the people who illegally pirated it, actually bought it? I mean, are we looking at £30/$65 as opposed to £300/$650??? (they're probably no where near accurate conversions, but for arguments sake, you get what I mean)
Adobe makes the big money from companies who purchase their software and the price has NOTHING to do with piracy. In any case, Piracy means people aren't buying the software, resulting in reduced sales. Reduced demand = lower price, not higher price.
If FlightSim developers are upping their prices now because of piracy (which they aren't), they are doing the wrong thing, as that will just put legal customers away from buying.

Exactly what I was going to say :lol:. Most people choose to pirate because the prices are huge, but then companies decide to increase price to basically pay for the pirates, which is in my opinion stupid. I mean, when you go in a shop, and buy a software for say £30, some of that goes towards basically buying pirates a copy. They should lower down the prices, not raise them.

As a developer of freeware software, I could have had the choice to sell my software, but because of piracy I chose not to. Just wouldn't be worth it, the fact that people are happy is enough.

I have many contacts of whom are software developers like me, but they create software to sell. But boy, once you start talking to them, you'll know how serious pirating affects their company.

I'm not against, or for pirating. I'm neither. The prices of Microsoft software are mega high, and part of me can understand why some do it, considering the fact that Microsoft's Bill Gates is (correct me if I'm wrong) the 3rd richest person in the world.

I was also talking to another software developer about anti-piracy intergration in software. We discussed about CD-Keys / Serial Keys and how safe they are to use to prevent piracy, but we both agreed that it just wouldn't work. Someone would just come a long, read how it works, and make a crack for it.

Thanks.

#22 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

What Realy :lol: me off is the fact these idiots who pirate software, then have the absolute cheek to go and ask for technical support and get all the updates which people like my self have paid for an they get for free. Im so glad to hear Payware companys are starting new ways to block pirates from downloading there software, for example, i recently installed the PSS 757 update 1.3, You have to contact the support desk which in my opion is brilliant because someone with a pirated version cannot update there product.

Also if piracy carry's on the way its going We may well start loosing some very good payware companys.

Pirates are costing us genunine customers twice as much, we pay the price because the idiots who pirate software, the company looses revinue, they charge more for there products in the future, Then they will become fed up of piracy that they won't bother creating anymore products.

Anyone who brags about piracy on the web is some sort of idiot, whats there to brag about, the fact that you stole someones software, While many genuine people have paid for it.

Mike

Edited by MonarchA321IAE, 25 April 2008 - 10:09 AM.

#23 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on Apr 25 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

What Realy :lol: me off is the fact these idiots who pirate software, then have the absolute cheek to go and ask for technical support and get all the updates which people like my self have paid for an they get for free. Im so glad to hear Payware companys are starting new ways to block pirates from downloading there software, for example, i recently installed the PSS 757 update 1.3, You have to contact the support desk which in my opion is brilliant because someone with a pirated version cannot update there product.

Also if piracy carry's on the way its going We may well start loosing some very good payware companys.

Pirates are costing us genunine customers twice as much, we pay the price because the idiots who pirate software, the company looses revinue, they charge more for there products in the future, Then they will become fed up of piracy that they won't bother creating anymore products.

Anyone who brags about piracy on the web is some sort of idiot, whats there to brag about, the fact that you stole someones software, While many genuine people have paid for it.

Mike

well said mate! Couldn't agree with you more about this!

#24 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thats very true Mike. Like I said, when prices go up because of Piracy, we're basically buying pirates a copy.

I mean don't get me wrong, each individual is different, some choose to pirate some not. What really annoys me is the fact that someone buy's a copy of say for example "PSS 777", then they have the cheek to share it with everyone else. 1 Download from that sharer = (I dunno exactly, but say) $39.99 lost for the developers. And in about a month, I would say there are hundreds of downloads - so wow, THOUSANDS lost there. If I was a payware developer (I am a freeware developer), I wouldn't be very happy, thats one thing.

Prices are a certain amount for a reason.

Thanks.

Edited by sharkbate24, 25 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

#25 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

I think the idea of like 'OMG PIRATE' is pathetic really.

If payware developers didn't want there software to be pirated then they certainly wouldn't release it to be perfectly honest. I know when I release my BBJ that I certainly won't be happy if it gets pirated, but tbh I couldn't care less, I take credit if it gets pirated.. I mean come on.. if even seen Abacus get pirated.

#26 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:35 AM

They bring out there software to give us genuine simmers some realism in flight simulator, Yes they know within a week someone will have it avilible for download on the web, but thats why they raise the price of there next product, to help pay towards the pirates who decided they would steal it rather then buy it.

Lets say PMDG Bring an add on out.

1st Addon they will charge £19.99 (fair Price)

After 100's if not 1000's of people decided to pirate it then they loose Over £20,000 in revinue.

So when they release there next product they raise the price so they can pay for the pirates.

2nd Addon they decide to charge £29.99, This way they will get more money to help pay towards the 1st add on which so many idiots decided to pirate.

then it continues untill the price of this add on becomes so high that not many people are buying it and they think, well were not making any money out of our products, so lets not make any more.

And there you go, PMDG now stop trading (selling) there products, stop producing products.

No more updates for those genuine buyers.

And a brilliant software company gone.

This will happen to every single payware company.

We will be left flying old productions, no more brilliant add ons.

Then the genuine users are left with nothing. Because a selected few thought stealing wouldent do much damage.

Mike

Edited by MonarchA321IAE, 25 April 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#27 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

View PostWhiskey Delta, on Apr 25 2008, 02:25 PM, said:

I've even seen Abacus get pirated.

:lol:

The pirate would still be getting ripped off.

#28 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

I have some experience in producing commercial products for flight simulator, and I must admit that when I was running the company we did indeed think about piracy and how it would affect us - we just came to the conclusion that we would make it as difficult as possible for people to gain support for our products by shutting down the support areas of the forum to those who could not prove that they had purchased when requested to provide confirmation (random spot checks, basically). You have to remember, people who are going to pirate products are going to pirate them anyway regardless - as you get smarter with technology, so will they.

We did not aim to penalise legitimate customers with high prices to make up from lost revenue, but aimed to encourage those who would ordinarily wish to pirate the product by setting what would be seen as low prices - it's yet to have been put into action, but I'm sure the results could be encouraging.

#29 umk747

umk747

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

I agree with everything, and the crackdown of company with stricter rules is great. But youve also got to understand its an equal battle. What ever the companies do to combat piracy, the pirates will find solutions or "cracks" for.

#30 CaptainTim

CaptainTim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

You forget that they have to re-imburse the costs incurred when creating the addon like travel, source material etc...

#31 Wokhead

Wokhead

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

How popular has this thread become :lol:

#32 fluffy

fluffy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

You have to remember that the majority of payware developers in flight simulator do it has a hobby, not as a primary job.

#33 Elukka

Elukka

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

The developers don't have to pay for a pirate.
You are assuming the pirate would pay for it if it was not possible to get it through illegal means. Most pirates probably would just leave it be, then.

Now, i don't agree with piracy either, it's definitely bad, but it isn't the same thing as stealing something concrete.

#34 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:51 AM

LMAO HAHAHAHA !!!! ' I've even seen Abacus get pirated. ' <<<<< Funniest qoute ive heard in ages lmao hahaha !

#35 Jebus

Jebus

formerly xAndyy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

View PostMonarchA321IAE, on May 27 2008, 10:51 AM, said:

LMAO HAHAHAHA !!!! ' I've even seen Abacus get pirated. ' <<<<< Funniest qoute ive heard in ages lmao hahaha !
That was not a "lmao" moment I'm afraid. Piracy isn't funny, mate.

#36 mistahmiles

mistahmiles

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

View Postdre!, on May 27 2008, 02:53 AM, said:

Pirating Abacus is like driving 100 miles to steal a candy bar. You'll spend more money on the gas than the candy bar
is worth.

Edited by mistahmiles, 28 May 2008 - 12:00 AM.

#37 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:10 AM

View Postdre!, on May 27 2008, 04:53 AM, said:

Yeah, you're right, it's a totally serious subject and inappropriate to make jokes about. :lol:

I've always wondered if the ones that complain so loudly about piracy have something to hide. Piracy is copyright infringement, and I'm willing to bet most people are guilty of it in one way or another. Ever downloaded an mp3? Borrowed a movie from a friend? Used a clip from a song to make a video? Depending on your country of origin, you may have violated copyright law. :lol:

#38 B737

B737

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

Ill admit I have pirated stuff. But.....

Once I got a job a couple years ago and started paying for stuff, I really didn't mind having to pay.
Though I am a huge supporter of open source, there are somethings you just have to buy.

The only thing that still bothers me is how music and movies are sold. I'd like to see some major changes!

#39 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

View PostWokhead, on Apr 24 2008, 02:14 PM, said:

View PostNick., on Apr 24 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

View PostWestjet737, on Apr 25 2008, 06:47 AM, said:

I've pirated as well.
Who hasnt? Piracy will NEVER be fully removed from the internet,but piracy only exists for you to save a quick buck. or $1500

It occurred to me the other day. Would Photoshop really be that expensive, if all the people who illegally pirated it, actually bought it? I mean, are we looking at £30/$65 as opposed to £300/$650??? (they're probably no where near accurate conversions, but for arguments sake, you get what I mean)

Seeing as you're banned, I'll give a response to those interested. Photoshop's price is for licensing fees. All the tools and what not are created by individual developers who license it to Adobe, well that's as far as what I understand. The 600 dollar price tag is acceptable in my case.

#40 ZB_A321

ZB_A321

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:26 AM

Dre! << What is your problem, I see you've got in a :lol: over quite a few of my comments on these forums and even Commenting on my english in one topic. Seems like you've got some problem, You cant handle the funnier side of things, You always have to be serious and cant relate to a laff or joke. Brighten up and stop being such a stuck up little :lol: wipe.