21 replies to this topic

#21 Ice Man

Ice Man

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

I would do create terrain in GMAX, but then how do I make it so that it looks right when the seasons change (ie snow and such)? And SBuilder has some WEIRD lat/lon format I can't even begin to understand.

#22 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 08:47 AM

Ice Man, on Jul 14 2006, 11:13 PM, said:

I would do create terrain in GMAX, but then how do I make it so that it looks right when the seasons change (ie snow and such)? And SBuilder has some WEIRD lat/lon format I can't even begin to understand.
The GMAX question I'll leave to someone else .... not enough information on this end.  :D  As for coordinates, it's simple math to convert (using d = degrees; m = minutes; s = seconds):

FS9 map uses dd:mm.mm and FS9 Ctl-Z (twice) uses dd:mm.mmmm.  Some programs want dd:mm:ss.ssss while others want dd.ddddddd.

If you need to convert FS9 coordinates (example N41* 52.65) to dd:mm:ss.ssss, simply multiply .mm (or .mmmm) by 60; that will give you ss.ssss.  .65 x 60 gives you 39, so N41* 52.65 would become N41* 52' 39" or N41:52:39.0000

If you need to convert FS9 coordinates to dd.ddddddd, simply divide mm.mm (or mm.mmmm) by 60; that would give you 0.8775; then add the whole degrees (41) to get 41.8775.

Do the opposite in the above examples (switch multiply and divide) to get back to the FS9 format for coordinates.  Just remember that west latitude and north longitude are positive numbers, but east latitudes and south longitudes are negative numbers.