- - - - -

anyone know of a program to extract bgl files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 james_macnair

james_macnair

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

As the title suggests really.

Im looking to extract some bgl files designed for fs9, and change the texture names so that they work in fsx.

This probably won't work but always worth a try.

I also don't have a clue about bgl files lol, but i guess this is the best way to learn

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

james_macnair, on Aug 16 2006, 06:40 PM, said:

As the title suggests really.

Im looking to extract some bgl files designed for fs9, and change the texture names so that they work in fsx.

This probably won't work but always worth a try.

I also don't have a clue about bgl files lol, but i guess this is the best way to learn
james_
You can get BGLAnalyze from the Scenery Hall of Fame (SHOF) website; make sure you get the (New) version to open BGLs that use the FS9 bglcomp_SDK process; the old version only works with SCASM-compiled and pre-FS2004 bgl files.

However, I'm not quite understanding what you want to do:

Airport BGLs, made with AFCAD, have no texture information in them.  When you select runway/taxiway/ramp textures in AFCAD, you're referencing information that is hard-coded in AFCAD.  It's only a reference to the FS9 textures that appear in the BGL, not the actual texture filenames.

3D Object BGLs also do not have texture information in them.  The texture filenames are contained in the object MDL (or API) data files, not in the BGL.  If the object is an API, you can open the .api file in NotePad and change the texture filename(s).  Not so with an MDL file, since such placement BGLs are usually produced from a LibObj file; you need the raw data file and the program that produced it, open the object raw file and reassign textures, then save/export as MDL and change the LibObj file.  If an object was created and exported as a stand-alone BGL, you might be able to do what you want to do (I haven't done THAT except when I did the GMAX tutorial).  Very, very few designers use that method to create scenaries as the polygon count for objects placed that way tend to drive framerates down into single digits.

#3 jyarddog

jyarddog

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would use ModelconverterX at www.FSdeveloper.com this is free. I suggest the latest (which is like a beta) you constantly get updates when Arno makes them... which is often. Version is something like 1.4.0.0

it can import a bgl, mdl (mdl of either choice... xtomdl or makemdl) collada file (dae) many others, and export from each to each.

AFCADs.... both ADE and AFX have abilities to swtich an AFCAD from fs9 to fsx style and back.

Hope this helps. Bob