66 replies to this topic

#1 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

We're not hearing anything from Aerosoft's so-called FS 2012 project, not even one screenshot attempt even if it was meant to show a few models being built.

Microsoft said it was game over for ACES but didn't say it was game over for MSFS as a whole.

Really, by this time we should expect a sudden/surprise announcement. That's when it usually comes out.

When Atari Games or whoever announced Test Drive Unlimited 2, it came at the moment people expected it. It's like a feeling you usually get. Kinda like the silence before the storm, in a sense.

Unfortunately, nobody's saying anything and I'm sure this whole dilemma is making a few impatient.

If FSX is the last simulator in the franchise, then screw Microsoft because they really messed it up. I mean you'd think they should give us back something for their mistakes. And let's be frank, FSX is not the kind of game that can even run properly four years after its release, let alone the other bugs that come with it.

And without the support from ACES anymore, we're left like a bunch of nomads in the desert.

#2 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

I don't think Microsoft owes us anything...

They developed a simulator, they made good expansion, and had to dissovle the studio due to the economy. In reality, this whole franchise was pretty much a dead horse by 2002. Releasing basically the same thing over and over and over just with slightly updated graphics every couple years, I can see why after awhile they'd want to give that up (especially with how whiney the community can be.)

You have to consider something else, too. Xbox. Xbox wasn't around back when Microsoft was really pumping out FS games, and now, Xbox is undeniably a bigger hit than FS in today's world. Look at the games out there. There used to be more flight simulation games out there than you can poke a stick at. Now the closest you really get is a bunch of arcadey games. The flight sim genre is technically dead, while Xbox and Halo sales are booming and the hot ticket. Makes sense Microsoft would decide to abandon the dying breed after a time and focus it's money and resources, in today's world, where they'd get the most benefit from it.

#3 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'm not impatient, FSX can be stunning, I don't really need more.

#4 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 24 2010, 05:16 PM, said:

I don't think Microsoft owes us anything...

They developed a simulator, they made good expansion, and had to dissovle the studio due to the economy. In reality, this whole franchise was pretty much a dead horse by 2002. Releasing basically the same thing over and over and over just with slightly updated graphics every couple years, I can see why after awhile they'd want to give that up (especially with how whiney the community can be.)

You have to consider something else, too. Xbox. Xbox wasn't around back when Microsoft was really pumping out FS games, and now, Xbox is undeniably a bigger hit than FS in today's world. Look at the games out there. There used to be more flight simulation games out there than you can poke a stick at. Now the closest you really get is a bunch of arcadey games. The flight sim genre is technically dead, while Xbox and Halo sales are booming and the hot ticket. Makes sense Microsoft would decide to abandon the dying breed after a time and focus it's money and resources, in today's world, where they'd get the most benefit from it.
Yeah but that's the defeatist mentality. It sucks all the energy out of your soul. Come on man, I know flight simming isn't as big as the demand for another Sports or War game but surely, surely it's sufficient enough to attract them back into it. I just feel the minute Bill Gates stepped out the door, the donkey who took over always viewed FS as a pet peeve of his.

You know, I wouldn't mind if Microsoft comes out tomorrow and says "right we're gonna release a flight simulator but on the next Xbox". I'll go straight to the bank and reserve me some cash for it, no kidding. And they can do it, and it can be a major hit if they want it to be. But who am I kidding, there's a better chance I fly inter-city on the next GTA game than seeing a future flight simulator.

#5 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

I know it's kind of forbidden to mention it, but...the future of flight simulation might just be X-Plane 10...

#6 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

You do realize the amount of time and money it takes to create a sim?  Even if you already have a game engine.  The comparison is that a good aircraft addon takes roughly 1 year if your doing it has a full time job.

FSX is still running strong.  Plenty of new addons being developed and is now running the best it ever has.  Also sometimes the best things come as complete surprises.

Edit:  As long as Austin is the head of Xplane, its very doubtful that xplane will ever pick up much 3rd party development support.

Edited by TopDollar, 24 July 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#7 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 24 2010, 05:33 PM, said:

I know it's kind of forbidden to mention it, but...the future of flight simulation might just be X-Plane 10...
Oh he-ll I'd take anything right now. Can't wait to see what's lining up for X-Plane 10.

#8 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jul 24 2010, 05:35 PM, said:

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 24 2010, 05:33 PM, said:

Oh he-ll I'd take anything right now. Can't wait to see what's lining up for X-Plane 10.

Here's a little snippet from the planning group.

http://forums.x-plan...showtopic=38701

X-Plane Version 10
Better Scenery
Integration of OSM (Open Street Map)
Airport designer (an editor to quickly design your airport)
Do not expect all airport terminals to be included by default in v10. with 20,000+ airport, this is virtually impossible . That's why LR will provide this tool so anyone can make their own local airport quickly. Sergio is the leader on this tool.
Improved WED and meshtool
Better weather
Very high on Austin's to do list. Expect the weather to be more localized and to change as you fly to new destinations.
Better default planes
Dornier 328
Sergio did a presentation on The Dornier 328. It will be highly detailed. From what we were shown, the cabin is completely modeled. All doors (including the bathroom door) are functional and can be open through manipulators.
MD 80
The MD80, also developed by Sergio, will be the new highly detailed airliner for v10
Other planes will be selected
Improved ATC
Also high on Austin's list
Speech recognition ? (Austin likes the concept, Ben did frown on the idea)
The list of new features is not set. Laminar Research will still accept new feature requests.
Technology will also drive new features. As computers become more powerful, the Laminar Research team can add more features to x-plane 10 .
Version 9 is still the current version and will still be updated. Do not expect X-plane 10 within at least 24 months (my own estimation. Laminar Research will not give any date, don't even ask).

Edited by Wampa_Stompa, 24 July 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#9 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

Not getting impatient at all.  No company owes the flight simming community anything.

If I were a game design company, you can bet I wouldn't be getting into this business.  I'd be going straight for console games and genres that attract more.  If you look at Flight Sim X with all the missions and the more "game" feel to it rather than a simulator feel (which I think it can be a great simulator with all the right addons), it seems that Microsoft was trying to keep the franchise alive by appealing to more people.  Obviously, it failed.

View PostMohammad, on Jul 24 2010, 06:09 PM, said:

I mean you'd think they should give us back something for their mistakes.

No...I'd expect them to say "oh well" and move on to larger genres.

View PostMohammad, on Jul 24 2010, 06:09 PM, said:

I mean you'd think they should give us back something for their mistakes.

No...I'd expect them to say "oh well" and move on to larger genres.

#10 CoD3y

CoD3y

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Well you gotta think about like said they are starting from scratch and something has been mentioned they said that it is for sure happening but the release has been pushed from 2012 to 2013-2014, but they said that they are now moving from paper to coding as Ive heard/read. It takes time people, thats one thing the community needs to learn is that these things take time!

#11 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Im a little disappointed about the structure of the Microsoft Flight Simulator program and it seems to me that microsoft can't be right on the money with most things. I though FSX 2010 was supposed to come out in October-November, but thats just a rumor. I hope they pull themselves together and continue this great chain of Flight Simulators, they are easily expandable programs, they don't come as-is.

#12 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

View PostColonel-Hogan, on Jul 24 2010, 06:54 PM, said:

Im a little disappointed about the structure of the Microsoft Flight Simulator program and it seems to me that microsoft can't be right on the money with most things. I though FSX 2010 was supposed to come out in October-November, but thats just a rumor. I hope they pull themselves together and continue this great chain of Flight Simulators, they are easily expandable programs, they don't come as-is.

There is no FS 2010.  Microsoft got rid of the entire team responsible for the Flight Sim. franchise.

#13 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

I personally think they may have done the right thing. I mean, with FSX, they tried something new, and that was to appeal to a wider audience with the missions and Acceleration pack. While that was a big hit to people like me, people who were the hardcore simmers were not too pleased. I guess they learned you can't please everyone when it comes to these games.

#14 flyhalf

flyhalf

Orville Reincarnate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

I personally don't believe we even need a new sim. FSX is only just getting going now. Look at what people like Orbx have done to it. The potential is there. Who needs a completely new sim again ?? Why? What's in it for us? You can't just make a new one for no reaon. There has to be tangible benefits. FSX is now benefiting from the hardware it needs. It took 4 years but that was what MS wanted. I congratulate them rather than criticise them.

#15 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

View Postflyhalf, on Jul 24 2010, 08:04 PM, said:

I personally don't believe we even need a new sim. FSX is only just getting going now. Look at what people like Orbx have done to it. The potential is there. Who needs a completely new sim again ?? Why? What's in it for us? You can't just make a new one for no reaon. There has to be tangible benefits. FSX is now benefiting from the hardware it needs. It took 4 years but that was what MS wanted. I congratulate them rather than criticise them.

As i said FSX is easily expandable. All the add-ons released to make FSX a top program make FSX a flying experience all it's own! It just needs something more realistic like the research made by Laminar Research.

#16 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

If you're getting impatient...  you can always make your own flight simulator.

Honestly..  games don't spring up over night..  and FS9 and FSX still have plenty of life left in them..   in other words..   if FS9 and FSX satisfy people, then why such a rush to replace it?  Ever heard the saying..  if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Sure, there will be a new version of FS eventually..   but until then, enjoy what you have...   if it bugs you that much...  you might want to find an alternate method of entertainment..  preferably one that doesn't disappoint you.

#17 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

I think the big question is...do you really want to dish out $50 or so every 2-4 years, as well as new hardware, for basically the same product over and over?

#18 Colonel-Hogan

Colonel-Hogan

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

View PostWampa_Stompa, on Jul 24 2010, 09:07 PM, said:

I think the big question is...do you really want to dish out $50 or so every 2-4 years, as well as new hardware, for basically the same product over and over?
Thats pretty much the big picture, when you come to look at it there has been a new MSFS every 2 years except for know, and if there is a new one, it would be a refurbished FSX.

look at the "Olde" flight simulator.

Edited by Colonel-Hogan, 24 July 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#19 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

Fantastic points!  As flyhalf said, FSX really is only becoming the primary sim now.  The majority switch over took much longer than with other sims so it isn't as if the life of the product is dying.

#20 Prancer

Prancer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 24 2010, 09:40 PM, said:

Fantastic points!  As flyhalf said, FSX really is only becoming the primary sim now.  The majority switch over took much longer than with other sims so it isn't as if the life of the product is dying.

Actually, the price I made was inaccurate. The price of games is only going up steadily. Once they were $20. Then they were $30. Then $40. Then not long ago $50 became the standard. Now $60 is becoming more norm.

$100 could be the norm by the time of the next release, whatever it is.

Edited by Wampa_Stompa, 24 July 2010 - 10:04 PM.