• 335 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Here's the simulators topic discussion.

http://www.forum.aer...p?showforum=278

#22 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

I installed the X-Plane 9 demo and after 30 minutes of trying to get a flight set up I uninstalled it and never looked back.

I could not stand it's interface or whatever you call it.

#23 niteye

niteye

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

FSX still has some life in it, even though I find the engine to be somewhat clunky and outdated, I'm not going to be bored of FSX anytime soon. Still I'm sort of curious still of what the next major flightsim will be like.

#24 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:04 AM

I don't know what's up with you people but, M$ should've at least finished up FSX *cough* DX10 *cough* and fixed up the bugs, and performance issues.  It's a :hrmm: in-efficient game.  The stopped it in the middle, at the wrong time.

#25 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Im happy they saw fsx out to give us a fresh sim...yes its outdated engine, but as our hardware catches up im loving it  :hrmm: And about getting impatient...i have a life, and lots of important things in it...i don't worry about the future of a game, and neither should you.

#26 .Andrew

.Andrew

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Holy :hrmm:

Did anyone see this posted at Aerosoft?

http://outerra.com/wgallery.html

#27 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:46 AM

^ Why're half of the pictures of a truck?  Is it a flight sim :hrmm:

#28 ATX

ATX

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:45 AM

idk about this...

And ^^ its a engine..
TVjCetERjN8

#29 mhockey21

mhockey21

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

View PostATX, on Jul 26 2010, 10:45 PM, said:

idk about this...

And ^^ its a engine..
TVjCetERjN8
It looks like GTA kinda.

#30 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

I think developers should start moving to X-Plane, it has so much potential. There aren't any good heavies for it though, which is were people like PMDG should step in and have a go.

#31 FL050

FL050

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

View Postpyruvate, on Jul 26 2010, 07:04 AM, said:

I don't know what's up with you people but, M$ should've at least finished up FSX *cough* DX10 *cough* and fixed up the bugs, and performance issues.  It's a :hrmm: in-efficient game.  The stopped it in the middle, at the wrong time.

Ya know, it is a shame things cost money these days isn't it?

#32 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

View Postflyhalf, on Jul 24 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

I personally don't believe we even need a new sim. FSX is only just getting going now. Look at what people like Orbx have done to it. The potential is there. Who needs a completely new sim again ?? Why? What's in it for us? You can't just make a new one for no reaon. There has to be tangible benefits. FSX is now benefiting from the hardware it needs. It took 4 years but that was what MS wanted. I congratulate them rather than criticise them.
I can see where you're coming from but with all due respect there's a major flaw in your argument.

You see, when Microsoft released Flight Simulator X back in 2006, their marketing gimmick was that you could play this game 'straight out of the box'. Nobody buys a game in order to finally play it properly four years later! And having said that, we STILL aren't managing to run FSX properly, so I guess Microsoft intended us to play this game in 2012 then.

Do you know who gave us that reason? We did. We created it and I was one of them. It was a way to please ourselves about FSX. 'It's not the game's fault, it's the system's fault.' But everyone by now knows this is completely and utterly false, otherwise the game would be working wonders by now, even on medium-end rigs.

The fact is, Microsoft released a flawed game and left us empty handed. Unlike sports titles, though, we may never get the chance to see improvement. That's because with sports titles, which come out annually, there's always that false glimmer of hope that perhaps the new game is better than the old one. But with this, it's Michael Jackson-style. 'This is it!' It's the last of the line, and we got our last game that happens to be flawed big time.

View Postnick-wilkinson, on Jul 24 2010, 07:44 PM, said:

Sure, there will be a new version of FS eventually..   but until then, enjoy what you have...   if it bugs you that much...  you might want to find an alternate method of entertainment..  preferably one that doesn't disappoint you.
Okay no thank you. I didn't ask for advice on what to do in my leisure time.

#33 LA_PHX

LA_PHX

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jul 27 2010, 03:55 PM, said:

View Postflyhalf, on Jul 24 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

I personally don't believe we even need a new sim. FSX is only just getting going now. Look at what people like Orbx have done to it. The potential is there. Who needs a completely new sim again ?? Why? What's in it for us? You can't just make a new one for no reaon. There has to be tangible benefits. FSX is now benefiting from the hardware it needs. It took 4 years but that was what MS wanted. I congratulate them rather than criticise them.
I can see where you're coming from but with all due respect there's a major flaw in your argument.

You see, when Microsoft released Flight Simulator X back in 2006, their marketing gimmick was that you could play this game 'straight out of the box'. Nobody buys a game in order to finally play it properly four years later! And having said that, we STILL aren't managing to run FSX properly, so I guess Microsoft intended us to play this game in 2012 then.

Do you know who gave us that reason? We did. We created it and I was one of them. It was a way to please ourselves about FSX. 'It's not the game's fault, it's the system's fault.' But everyone by now knows this is completely and utterly false, otherwise the game would be working wonders by now, even on medium-end rigs.

The fact is, Microsoft released a flawed game and left us empty handed. Unlike sports titles, though, we may never get the chance to see improvement. That's because with sports titles, which come out annually, there's always that false glimmer of hope that perhaps the new game is better than the old one. But with this, it's Michael Jackson-style. 'This is it!' It's the last of the line, and we got our last game that happens to be flawed big time.

Sure, the game was flawed or at the very least, the idea that you could play it straight out of the box when it was released.  So Microsoft screwed up.  So what?  By now, we do have a sim that works fine thanks to the technology catching up.  I'm not saying it is the "system's fault" but why whine about something that is now working.

Microsoft doesn't owe us anything.  No one forced you to buy into this franchise of flight sims. and no one said to expect new ones released and no one said to expect anything good after FSX.  The only thing consumers are guaranteed are the product...nothing more.  They aren't guaranteed support, fixes, or anything other than the base product.

I really don't see why you have this sense of entitement that Microsoft owes you something for releasing a bad product.  (Which at this point, isn't all that bad.)  Like all Flight Sims out of the box, FSX isn't all that impressive.  But with addons now, FSX can be amazing.  The only difference is that FSX was ahead of its time and really shouldn't have been released in its state.  But it was, and now we have a fairly good product.

Edited by LA_BOS, 27 July 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#34 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

:hrmm:

#35 Guest_caaront_*

Guest_caaront_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

After an afternoon of trying everything in the world to have a nice 5 minute flight and never getting one with $2200 worth of FSX specific PC I built I'm fed up with FSX.

Look at all the high FPS in many many reviews of GPU's in Crysis, and all the other late games, 60-150+ FPS in many games and the occasional review you see where they have FSX they have a paltry 30 FPS in FSX.

Look at Muls review of the GTX 460, it was excellent, high FR's in all the games except for FSX.

FSX is a broken badly coded game, it is crap.

I am not the only one to sink money and time in a great build only to be disappointed.

Another member here had his PC at 4.3 or 4.4 recently (a new build) ordered a GTX 480 and you could hear the disappointment in his posts.

I wonder why folks double up on GPU's for other games, and OC to the max, and spend all the money they do, the other games do not need all that to run smoothly, well, at least the extra money spent is not in vain like it is with FSX.

You could sink $10,000 in a PC not see a great improvement in FSX than a guy who has $2500 or even $1500 in their PC.

I said all that to say this:

I hope the next simulator gets a lot better performance.

Edited by caaront, 27 July 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#36 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

View PostLA_BOS, on Jul 27 2010, 03:29 PM, said:

Sure, the game was flawed or at the very least, the idea that you could play it straight out of the box when it was released.  So Microsoft screwed up.  So what?  By now, we do have a sim that works fine thanks to the technology catching up.  I'm not saying it is the "system's fault" but why whine about something that is now working.
Trust me when I say this. I wouldn't be sitting and complaining here if my FSX was running properly.
Last year I invested heavily on a system with the primary purpose of running a flight sim. I now end up looking at Google Earth and panning around the globe like some CIA guy looking for Bin Laden's footsteps. :hrmm:

If you look at caaront's topic in the FSX sub-section, you'll know my frustrations too. Like him, I spent so much of my hard-earned money on a rig that still choked the game up like some old dog ready to pass away.

There's just something fundamentally flawed in FSX. And the problem is, you know it's not gonna get better cause the people who developed this series ditched us.

#37 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jul 27 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

...the people who developed this series ditched us.

I know you didn't mean it this way, but a minor point if I may, just to clear up any confusion in our readers.  The people who developed our beloved FS and spent decades doing so would gladly be on the job now if given the opportunity.  The suits at MS pulled the plug, not the people who developed it.

#38 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

View PostBrad, on Jul 27 2010, 10:20 PM, said:

View PostMohammad, on Jul 27 2010, 09:14 PM, said:

...the people who developed this series ditched us.

I know you didn't mean it this way, but a minor point if I may, just to clear up any confusion in our readers.  The people who developed our beloved FS and spent decades doing so would gladly be on the job now if given the opportunity.  The suits at MS pulled the plug, not the people who developed it.
If I may just add onto this.  The fine folks at what was formally known as ACES are just as avid flight sim enthusiasts as we are.  Trust me when I say, if it had been their way, many of these problems would not be present.  A lot of times when working under a large publisher such as Microsoft, the development team doesn't call the shots when it comes to marketing or release dates.

#39 THBatMan8

THBatMan8

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jul 27 2010, 03:55 PM, said:

Actually FSX runs quite flawlessly if you run nothing but what came with the game. You get problems when you start putting in 3rd party applications that the platform wasn't designed to handle.

Edited by THBatMan8, 27 July 2010 - 09:32 PM.

#40 Emillionaire90

Emillionaire90

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

Great posts guys, I'll continue to use FS9 as my personal sim. But I've given up on FSX for years, I just prefer FS9.

Sure you could go out and spend 3, 4000 dollars on a rig to run a max settings FSX setup with decent frames... that's right not great frames. Is it worth it? To me not a chance, FSX isn't that important to me... I'd much rather spend that money elsewhere.

I'll only use FSX from a developers stand point, beyond that I'm always in FS9.

We don't need another sim, just because Microsoft stopped making the series doesn't mean the community will die off. If you don't like MSFS, there's always X-Plane, which in my eyes is up and coming and only a few years away from seriously giving the MSFS series a run for their money.

All in all I see the current popular sims, FS9, FSX and X-Plane will keep this community going for a very long time.

Edited by Honda-Eater, 27 July 2010 - 09:54 PM.