VlogsMD

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Level D Simulations 767 - 300ER

How To Program Fight Management System

Ok Guys, Some people don't like programming the FMC, but i adds realism to the flight, here is a guide i have been cooking up on how to program the FMC for the Level D 767

Now some people may think that it's hard to program the FMC, but fear not, it is not that hard, here are a few easy steps to help you:

Section I
Aliging IRS

Make Sure that you have electrics running otherwise you will not be able to use the FMC, Now like the 737PIC you have to align the IRS BEFORE moving, otherwise your primary displays remain blank, so open the FMC and it should tell you to verify position, click the CLR button to remove the message and click the INIT REF button, this will take you to the INT REF Index, a list should appear, click the side button next to POS, then on the keypad type out your departing airport, eg. EGLL, then press the key next to REF Airport, this will tell the FMC what airport you are at, wait a few minuites and your IRS should be aligned and you should have your primary display screens.

Section 2
Entering Route Data

Ok Now you have your IRS aligned you can enter your route data, press the RTE button on the FMC, then enter your Origin on the scratchpad and place it in the ORIGIN, eg. EGLL. Next enter your Destination on the scratchpad and enter that into the box marked DEST, then at your own discretion you an enter a flight number and the runway you will be taking off from, then click next page on the FMC and enter all your fixes and VOR's into the FMC on the RIGHT HAND Side, once you have done thsat go back to the previous page and click ACTIVATE, then the EXECUTE Button should light up, press it, your route is now prorammed into the FMC.

Section 3
Calculating Load & V Speeds

Ok Now Your Route Is Programmed Into The FMC Press INIT REF, Then Press PERF, you will need to enter your Gross Weight into the FMC, you can enter either Zero Fuel or Gross Wieght as both will calculae the other, next enter your cruise altitude into the FMC, once you have done that click N1 Limit, you do not need to do anythin on this page so we will move on to V Speeds, Click Takeoff In The Bottom Right, And Enter Your Flaps Into The First LEFT Hand Box, Once you have done that V Speeds should display on the right, thats it your FMC is programmed!

IMPORTANT!!!

After you  have took off, retracted the flaps and the gear engage your autopilot and press VNAV and LNAV, this will then take data from your FMC and fly the route and will hold speed and altitude for you, all you need to do is sit back and relax

Section 4 :!: NEW :!:

Cruise

Ok, you are now at a stable 250kts IAS, and climbing about 2,500+ fpm, now once you pass 10,000ft don't forget to turn off the landing lights, the FMC will calculate the most economical speed for you to cruise at, once you have reached your cruise alt [between 20,000ft - 40,000ft] the FMC again will do most of the work, don't forget to tuen off the seatbelt sign and check that your engines are functioning correctly and you have enough fuel remaining to complete the flight, you don't want to be half way across the atlantic and run out of fuel! there is nothing you really need to do at this point, the plane is fully automated, if there seems to be problems disengage the AP and turn around, don't risk it!

Section 5 :!: NEW :!:

Decent And Landing

Now this is where it can get tricky, so pay very careful attention to this tutorial, or something may go wrong, now as you approach your destination the FMC should of calculated the decent point, if it has about 150 - 100nm out it should decend, if not go into the fmc, click DES, and click DES NOW, this will autodecend your aircraft, now as it lines itself up for the ILS you have two options, autoland or manual

Autoland

Ok you have opted to autoland, now this is where it can become complicated, when your aircraft if lined up for the ILS hit the APP button and LOC, this will engage the approach and lock onto the ILS, then ou need to lower the gea and incriment the flaps, good thing as minimums are called the aircraft flairs the nose, this is a nice feature not seen on the PMDG 737, now you have landed turn off the AP and taxi to a gate

Manual Landing

You Have opted for the simple option, land it by skill, now you can use the ILS as a guide to get you down, disengage the autopilot as soon as you have locked the ILS, make sure you follow the PAPI and lower the gear and flaps, as you reach minimums, flare the nose slightly so the main gear hits the deck first, engage reverse thrust and apply the brakes, once you reach 60kts disengage reverse thrust and taxi normally to a gate

I Hope this is some use to you guys, i have added the 4th and 5th section as requested, enjoy  :lol:

Edited by fcaro, 27 January 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#2 Manny

Manny

formerly eee722

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

thanks fcaro, ima look through it when i have time, i'm currently not home.

#3 VlogsMD

VlogsMD

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

no probs please PM me if there are any mistakes so i can rectify

cheers

#4 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

can the same procedure be adopted to the IFLY 747 FMC?
i herd also a sustitute database needed to be used. is this true?

#5 VlogsMD

VlogsMD

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:30 AM

ummm i think this process is pretty much universal, i have not flown the IFLY 744 before, but try it,

its confirmed working on all PMDG Software and Level D

Do yea try it and see what happens

#6 Kami

Kami

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

mobisone, on Dec 28 2006, 07:37 PM, said:

i herd also a sustitute database needed to be used. is this true?
The ifly 747 FMC should be similar to the Level D 767. Just maybe a few changes.

And how do you get fixes, and VOR's loaded into the FMC?

#7 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:08 PM

great tut! i think this will help me with my fuel calcualting issues :lol:

#8 DeLaGhetto

DeLaGhetto

formerly Norad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

Nice tutorial....You did it days after i learned  :lol:

Looks pretty much like PMDG and others...Now can you make a PSS airbus Fmc programming tutorial??? That would help most  :lol:

#9 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

mobisone, on Dec 29 2006, 11:37 AM, said:

Yes. A more close example would probably be using a PMDG 747 FMC Tutorial, Similarly the systems/procedures should be able to be operated using this tutorial:

http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

And how do you get fixes, and VOR's loaded into the FMC?

Version 1.0 used the same database as the PMDG 737NG. It is probably the same now. SIDS/STARS are different, however and must be created specifically for the iFly 747.

.Now can you make a PSS airbus Fmc programming tutorial??? That would help most

In case you haven't already looked at them PSS themselves provide some comprehensive tutorials for their Airbus aircraft.

#10 Jebus

Jebus

formerly xAndyy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

I spotted one MINOR mistake. You missed out the trim.

On the LDS fuel/payload config I think it is, you need get a number in a %. That number, say 22% will then have a decimal number after it. Enter 22% where it says COG in the takeoff page and then set for you STAB TRIM to the amount that is it in the FMC, then you have the right trim for takeoff.

#11 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Evolt, on Jan 9 2007, 12:47 PM, said:

I spotted one MINOR mistake. You missed out the trim.

On the LDS fuel/payload config I think it is, you need get a number in a %. That number, say 22% will then have a decimal number after it. Enter 22% where it says COG in the takeoff page and then set for you STAB TRIM to the amount that is it in the FMC, then you have the right trim for takeoff.
that's the center of gravity, and it's not constant. you can get it when you set the load in the LDS 767 config manager

#12 DeLaGhetto

DeLaGhetto

formerly Norad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

I get this thing mad clear and ive done flights and its mad cool and realistic but can u please make a tut now for autoland on this plane???  :lol:

#13 Mark_39C

Mark_39C

formerly Il Dirigente

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

sweet tutorial... tested it out and it works fine. i think this finally fixed my speed problems for some reason! :lol:

#14 VlogsMD

VlogsMD

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:13 PM

no probs, this tutorial i wrote up from my knowledge, i didn't have fs installed at the time, anyway i am glad it worked for you....

and sure give me some time i can wite up a autoland tutorial

#15 CSHoffie

CSHoffie

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:30 AM

Good tutorial. Lots of valuable information.

I know a lot of people have trouble and don't like to program the FMC, but for some reason I've never had any issues with it at all. I guess it's because when I had no experience what so ever in aviation or flying in general, a friend of mine let me fly and learn the LDS 767 from scratch. I spent HOURS looking and learning how to fly the dang thing. I didn't even do any lessons in the Learning Center prior to my LDS 767 experience, so I had absolutely NO CLUE what I was doing. I didn't even have a clue what a VOR was. lol So talk about being thrown into the deep end without knowing how to swim!!

Anyway my point in saying this is that once you learn how to fly with the FMC and know how to program it successfully/realistically, you won't be able to figure out why you've been flying with GPS all along because it just wouldn't make sense. After a while, you'll be able to program the FMC so you can fly anywhere in the world with no problem. It's amazing.

Good luck to all of you.

#16 flyhalf

flyhalf

Orville Reincarnate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:33 AM

Great work.

But you don't start your flare at "minimums". The "Minimums" call could come as high as 600feet depending on the airport. It's the minimum height required for decision to land or go around.

You start your flare at about 50feet. If your minimums call is coming at 50 feet then you've set up wrongly.

[I'm not usually a detail nanny, but if it's in this section it should be right]

Edited by flyhalf, 06 May 2007 - 05:44 AM.

#17 Salem

Salem

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:53 AM

sorry to bring this up but I did everything as you said and entered all the fuel/weight info and the flaps/crz alt but I can't get VNAV button to work.. LNAV button works normally and it follows thew path and everything but VNAV won't work.. in the FMC it reads everything correctly, CRZ ALT FL300 TRANS ALT18000 SPD TRANS 250/10000 so can anyone clear this bit? thanks!

#18 Dave Hassar

Dave Hassar

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Maybe something to do with the Cost index? I know that if its too low your vs isnt very high so try cranking it up and then see if it works

#19 vozpilot

vozpilot

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

good tutorial :lol:

#20 Jaymeh

Jaymeh

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

i don't mean to sound dumb but what do i put for vor?  Im going from EGCC to LEAL.

Jamie