66 replies to this topic

#1 umk747

umk747

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Hello, welcome to the windows bashing thread. Please take out all your stress... :shifty:

P.s: If you think it is off topic please move to off topic ... :lol:

#2 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:11 PM

Windows XP is a remarkable achievement that has been the mainstay of the OS world for the last 6 years.

It takes waaay too much crap from people who disagree, but if it really was so bad, it wouldn't have a 95% slice of the market.

#3 mattreay

mattreay

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Right with you there Pip. Give vista 6 months and it'll be up there too

#4 chalbers

chalbers

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hey hey PiP !! Only bashing ! OK !

:lol:

#5 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Windows: "Plug 'n' Pray" :lol:

#6 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 04:28 PM

kewlceo, on Feb 6 2007, 10:23 PM, said:

Windows: "Plug 'n' Pray" :lol:
Now USB is an entirely different story, but it depends more on the hardware you are "plugging".

Saitek spent aged trying to be too clever, result "USB Device not Recognised", or "Found New Hardware". Recently they have put out some darn good drivers.

The latest Firmware Upgrade to my Zen Micro means it doesn't need any drivers, it works with WMP11 (plays for sure), and you can if you want install the Creative software. It all works flawlessly, kudos to Creative.

#7 umk747

umk747

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hey, it was only a joke! I think windows is great! :lol:

UMK747

Continue bashing:

Edited by umk747, 06 February 2007 - 05:24 PM.

#8 AsianFlyer.

AsianFlyer.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

umk747, on Feb 6 2007, 05:23 PM, said:

Hey, it was only a joke! I think windows is great! :shifty:

UMK747

Continue bashing:
  :lol:

#9 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

Windows? More like WinBLOWS am I right?

#10 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

diluted, on Feb 6 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

Windows? More like WinBLOWS am I right?
No, never had a problems with my Windows, all my plug n play stuff (saitek, creative sound card if that counts (even though I installed the drivers for the extra goodies but it worked with out them)).

Its all good from here.

#11 flyhalf

flyhalf

Orville Reincarnate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

I love Windows. What's wrong with it ?

99.99% of us use it. The ones who use Linux never seem to be around to prove it. Funny that.

(Edit: knowing my luck, someone will now)

Edited by flyhalf, 06 February 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#12 Jet_A_FuelGuy

Jet_A_FuelGuy

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

Windows Million Errors...

Summer of 01, my parents new IBM got delivered.  We got a BSOD 5 minutes after first bootup.  The delivery guy who was plugging in all the wires was still around!

#13 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

An oldie but goodie:

If Windows were a car

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating, "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they painted new lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT," but then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but it would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "general protect ion fault" warning light.

8. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?" before deploying.

9. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the antenna.

10. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

11. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

12. You'd have to press the "start" button to turn the engine off.

#14 mattreay

mattreay

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

lol very good

#15 Miracle

Miracle

Airline Transport Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

kewlceo, on Feb 6 2007, 04:12 PM, said:

An oldie but goodie:

If Windows were a car

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating, "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they painted new lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you bought "CarNT," but then you would have to buy more seats.

6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but it would only run on five percent of the roads.

7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "general protect ion fault" warning light.

8. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?" before deploying.

9. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the antenna.

10. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.

11. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

12. You'd have to press the "start" button to turn the engine off.
I LOL'd  :lol:

#16 Rich

Rich

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

flyhalf, on Feb 6 2007, 06:03 PM, said:

99.99% of us use it. The ones who use Linux never seem to be around to prove it. Funny that.

Well I think you will find that's because we're on a forum related to Microsoft Flight Simulator, a game native only to Windows. Therefore, you're not likely to find many hardcore Linux users on here.

I personally think there are better operating systems than what Microsoft has to offer. Obviously, each operating system has its own flaws and disadvantages. We could spend forever arguing over which OS is better, but imo, it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

#17 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

flyhalf, on Feb 7 2007, 12:03 AM, said:

I love Windows. What's wrong with it ?

only 95% OF PC's are on windows.

And as requested, Linux in all its glory:

Posted Image

#18 rf360m

rf360m

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

I used to love the Mac in the early 90s.  But since then MS has made amazing advances and improvements to the OS.  In my opinion, Windows is better than the Mac.  MS had the forsight to work very closely with developers and hardware manufacturers in the development of their OS.  Mac didn't do this, which is one of the reasons there is a 90%/10% split.

I also think that the Mac is fine unless something goes wrong, in which case you're screwed.  The new OSX Macs lock everything down, making it very difficult to trouble shoot or modify anything.  Windows, on the other hand, lets you do what ever you want.  This may cause crashes sometimes, but I think makes it easier to figure out what it wrong.

I've had two Mac completely die on me, where the only thing I could do was reinstall the OS.  I've never had that happen on a PC.  I was always able to mess around with them and fix the problem.  I've also hardly every had any serious windows problems.

So I think Windows is great, and can't wait to try out Vista!

#19 jnb

jnb

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:44 AM

PiP, on Feb 7 2007, 08:11 AM, said:

Windows XP is a remarkable achievement that has been the mainstay of the OS world for the last 6 years.

It takes waaay too much crap from people who disagree, but if it really was so bad, it wouldn't have a 95% slice of the market.
Surely you are being quite kind  :lol:

Sadly, probably 95% of people can't just ditch windows, whether they're stuck for compatibility reasons or they feel afraid to try another system, or they lack the ability to do so.

And this, I feel, is the foundation behind microsoft's outlook (no pun intended  :shifty: )

#20 Robin.

Robin.

Contributor\Download Manager\formerly Robin.B

• Download Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:12 AM

jnb, on Feb 7 2007, 12:44 PM, said:

PiP, on Feb 7 2007, 08:11 AM, said:

Surely you are being quite kind  :lol:

Sadly, probably 95% of people can't just ditch windows, whether they're stuck for compatibility reasons or they feel afraid to try another system, or they lack the ability to do so.

And this, I feel, is the foundation behind microsoft's outlook (no pun intended  :shifty: )
The mere fact that you can't even build a Mac yourself or run Mac OS on any computer accounts for the 95%/3-4% division, IMO. Not to mention Macs are a lot more expensive, and very few games are made for it. And of course DirectX is a Microsoft standard :angry: