6 replies to this topic

#1 Fokker_F27

Fokker_F27

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

I have a problem with the afcad for Saba: I installed a new afcad at 133.8 ft above sea level. Though it always places me at 15 ft like with the default afcad. Does anyone know where the default afcads are stored so I can modify them?

#2 Crezzy.

Crezzy.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

if you use. AFCAD the program you can search for afcad files for certain airports, when you search for Saba or the ICAO ICAO for that airport, it should give you 2 afcads the one you modified and the orginal. (usually say def for defualt or mod for modified next to them)

#3 Fokker_F27

Fokker_F27

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

I know, but I can't overwrite the original.

#4 Crezzy.

Crezzy.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Can you rename the original and give the modified one the original title?

#5 Fokker_F27

Fokker_F27

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

View PostPeaboy, on Apr 4 2007, 09:45 AM, said:

That would work, I guess. I'm not sure if Afcad gives the filename, though.

#6 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

View PostPeaboy, on Apr 4 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

Don't do that.  Each FS9 default AFCAD file contains multiple airports.  If you rename or delete the default file, you are affecting more than just the airport you want to modify.  The best way is to create an XML file using the bglcomp routines for Delete Airport, then compiling that to a .bgl file using bglcomp.  That way you only affect Saba, and your replacement Saba AFCAD will be the sole reference document for FS9 to use.

Are you sure you are using FEET in all areas?  Double-check everything to make sure there isn't a reference to METERS anywhere in the data.

Edited by sarge, 07 April 2007 - 08:35 AM.

#7 Guest_johnfromoz_*

Guest_johnfromoz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:51 PM

I think there is a problem when using a third party AFCAD over a default airport in some cases. There are one or two airports I have never been able to get to correct altitudes, leading to things like floating runways. FS always takes the elevation of the lower scenery defining the airport, which will usually mean the scenery files (probably the "default AFCAD" files referred to by Sarge) in FS9\Scenery\

There is a program by Jacky Brouze called JABBGL (jabbgl_134445.zip at AVSIM) which can fix some issues such as floating or sinking AI traffic. This edits some of the default files containing airfield data and tinkering with this may solve the problem. I have made some use of it but I am wary of overdoing it as I vaguely recall something about unwanted side effects on rare occasions - though I never experienced any. It does keep a backup of modified files. Personally, and not having used it yet, Sarge's recommendation sounds good to me.

Edited by johnfromoz, 12 April 2007 - 11:54 PM.