Tinfish

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

--

Posted Image

Probably the most memorable space flight you'll take this year.  

Comments welcome.
(Please avoid spoilers if possible) <

Thanks.

Tin

Mission Critical
(ORBITER video)
High quality version  -  Only 45-MB
http://tinfishfilms....on-critical.zip

YouTube link

#2 Manny

Manny

formerly eee722

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

real good!

#3 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Did you take a class in cinematography or something?

#4 h.V

h.V

formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

View PostPDX_Pilot, on Apr 18 2007, 07:05 PM, said:

Did you take a class in cinematography or something?
Don't let mother earth died!!:lol:

Nice vid

#5 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

....... Sorry Tin. I like you and many of your films, but this was absolutely terrible. I liked the film at first, but you really lost me with this one...

The film was supposed to be serious and you had these retarded voices saying childish things about facts that are still being disputed by reputable scientists. You could have at LEAST got some voice acting to add to the credibility of this video, but you didn't and thus it will not make your stance any more viable. I could have gone without this and I absolutely HATE this video, not just from a political perspective but from a cinematic perspective. Could you imagine watching Apollo 13 and seeing some talking head wandering in space? Perhaps Green Mile and Tom Hanks suddenly starts rapping?

And to add to it the amazing footage of a rocket carbon spewing spacecraft and the fact you actually make it sound like you will be taking this amazing spaceflight.... Sorry. I felt like I went to watch a movie with Bruce Willis and ended up watching Al Gore steal the spotlight.

This isn't a "shuttle video." This is a "save planet earth video."

2/5. 2/5th of the video is good, the rest... bleh... could have done w/out.

Edited by Valkyrie321, 18 April 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#6 genesis

genesis

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hey Tinfish,
This video is... well... interesting...  Very unique, never seen anything like it.  Somehow, the voices are monotonous... without much emotion.  Combined with the darkness of space, I can say this can put some audience to sleep.... I, however, enjoyed this video.  Keep up the good work, I love your videos.

Carry on....!  Hooah!

#7 XSimmer

XSimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

Indeed unique, but still kinda good :lol: Yeah, a "Save The Earth" educational video?

#8 Tinfish

Tinfish

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:16 AM

View PostValkyrie321, on Apr 19 2007, 02:15 AM, said:

....... Sorry Tin. I like you and many of your films, but this was absolutely terrible.
Hi Valk.

No problem mate. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but to determine whether this vid is
'absolutely terrible' or not, you'd have to look at the feedback from viewers on this forum
and on the main Orbiter forum........
http://www.orbitersi...s...sts&t=13735

I was aware when making this video that it would cause extreme reaction to some folks,
but thats always the way with offbeat videos that cut new ground.  

I totally agree with you about the planets' voices.  But this is purely down to the available technology.
As you will know from my past vids, I use text a speech voice engines, and these are limited. But Ive seen very
few complaints so far, and personally I think the overall voice effects works (although I'm not sure about the Sun having an American accent!)  :lol:

I also agree with you that this video is 'childish'.  This was my aim, to create a space shuttle adventure
video for children,, that would make them look at our planet, and our family of planets, in a different way.

I felt like I went to watch a movie with Bruce Willis and ended up watching Al Gore steal the spotlight.
There is an old saying: "Don't expect, and you won't be dissapointed'.  
(e.g.  keep an open mind and expect surprises, especially in Tinfish vids) - :angry:

Cheers again for watching.

Tin

Edited by Tinfish, 19 April 2007 - 01:24 AM.

#9 Tinfish

Tinfish

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:25 AM

View PostXSimmer, on Apr 19 2007, 04:15 AM, said:

Indeed unique, but still kinda good :angry:
Cheers X -  :lol:

Yeah, a "Save The Earth" educational video?
Its whatever kinda video you want it to be.

:lol:

Tin.

Valkyrie wrote:
'Could you imagine watching Apollo 13 and seeing some talking head wandering in space?'
Sure thing!  If the oxygen levels in the craft fell to dangerous levels then 'yes', the crew
could start to see and hear all manner of things, both real or imaginary. (Not to mention the amazing
exeriences and altered views of 'reality'  that many of the Lunar Landing crew had during their missions).

Now, back to my video. As the shuttle hits space, did you hear the oxygen escaping from the craft?

Edited by Tinfish, 19 April 2007 - 06:27 AM.

#10 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

Tin, there are innumerable voice actor guilds available which provide services free of charge for various movie makers. I often utilized them in films. I would recommend looking for some.

Head to some RPG sites and look up "acting guild" or do a search in your local phone book. You will probably find something. If that doesn't work I can provide you with some links as well. There are many people willing to help in various projects if only to help them build a profile. Most are very nice and quite professional and will provide samples of their work if and when asked.

:lol:, I have used my own voice (distorted and changed a bit) in numerous videos.

Move away from that speech voice engine stuff, it is VERY distracting IMO.

Lastly, forgive my bluntness. I didn't get where I am today not only in films but in the real world by masking my opinion when asked to give one.

Edited by Valkyrie321, 19 April 2007 - 07:32 AM.

#11 Tinfish

Tinfish

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

Tin, there are innumerable voice actor guilds available which provide services free of charge
for various movie makers. I often utilized them in films. I would recommend looking for some.

....Move away from that speech voice engine stuff, it is VERY distracting IMO.
Hi again Valk.

Thanks for your advice.  But practically speaking I don't see any need to switch away from using
text-to-speech voices.  Some of my most popular videos have utilised these voices.
Also, Ive recieved lots of comments on how well these voices fit in with the videos.
You yourself commented on this one >>>

Also, keep in mind that it often takes me two or three days solid work (9am to 12-midnight and beyond)
to make some of my vids.  I therefore can't honestly see me spending additional time trying to get voices done by
a voice actors guild.  If I were making professional videos, sure, I might consider it.  But these are just short
hobby vids, not to be taken too seriously.    

Lastly, forgive my bluntness. I didn't get where I am today not only in films but in the real world by
masking my opinion when asked to give one.
No problem.   I occasionally get extreme (sometimes even  violent) reactions to my vids.
I think that in this case you had somehow thought  that this was a politcal video, when it fact it wasn't.,
and you just disliked the content later in the video.  

"Different strokes for different folks".   ...as the saying goes :lol:

Cheers Valk.

Tin

#12 Da_Man

Da_Man

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

5 min of my life.. wasted.. 5 min of time i could have been spending farting and promoting global warming vanished.. 5 minutes of  brain power wondering wth was with mars and the talking face that will give me nightmares that i cant get back...

#13 Tinfish

Tinfish

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

View Poststeve23guy, on Apr 21 2007, 01:10 PM, said:

5 min of my life.. wasted.. 5 min of time i could have been spending farting and promoting global warming vanished.. 5 minutes of  brain power wondering wth was with mars and the talking face that will give me nightmares that i cant get back...
Oh lighten up!  - :lol:
This video is free and has been surprisingly
well received around the flight forum.
I cant help if its not your cup of tea.
'Take it ir leave it' is the policy here.

Cheers for watching, though.

Tin
]

Edited by Tinfish, 22 April 2007 - 06:41 AM.

#14 ak427

ak427

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

This video wasn't bad, but I was kind of lost...
BTW, what song did you use in the film?

Edited by Inverse, 22 April 2007 - 08:33 AM.

#15 frontiersim

frontiersim

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

first one turned weird but I love the flight instructor one!

Edited by flight, 22 April 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#16 .Ben

.Ben

formerly Ben.

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

View PostValkyrie321, on Apr 19 2007, 02:15 AM, said:

....... Sorry Tin. I like you and many of your films, but this was absolutely terrible. I liked the film at first, but you really lost me with this one...

The film was supposed to be serious and you had these retarded voices saying childish things about facts that are still being disputed by reputable scientists. You could have at LEAST got some voice acting to add to the credibility of this video, but you didn't and thus it will not make your stance any more viable. I could have gone without this and I absolutely HATE this video, not just from a political perspective but from a cinematic perspective. Could you imagine watching Apollo 13 and seeing some talking head wandering in space? Perhaps Green Mile and Tom Hanks suddenly starts rapping?

And to add to it the amazing footage of a rocket carbon spewing spacecraft and the fact you actually make it sound like you will be taking this amazing spaceflight.... Sorry. I felt like I went to watch a movie with Bruce Willis and ended up watching Al Gore steal the spotlight.

This isn't a "shuttle video." This is a "save planet earth video."

2/5. 2/5th of the video is good, the rest... bleh... could have done w/out.

I'm afraid I must agree :lol: .

You have great talent in videos etc, but this was just a bit too hippy for me. Sorry.

--Ben.

#17 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

Tinfish have u thought about playing that video to small school children? It might make them understand global warming :angry:

"..dnt let mother earth die" <<<sorry but that made me laugh!!

Great Film tinfish™ :lol:

#18 EZY174

EZY174

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

My god,

The cinematics were ok but the messages were awful.

"I am the sun. I've loved and heated mother earth now for many years" or something along those lines.

Something is really odd about the video - it's like the sort of video you would play to a prisoner of war to freak them out.

#19 Keiron

Keiron

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

Well from me mate, that vid is amazing. Very creative and unique. I like how you manged to animate the planets with the eyes and mouth. Your stuff keeps getting better and better! I've subscribed to your blog dude. I'm an audio engineer by trade, so if you need any surround sound mixing and mastering, give me a shout.  :lol:

#20 BigSpice1

BigSpice1

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Tin, I liked it, love your creativity all the time, great video.

Edited by BigSpice1, 27 April 2007 - 09:45 AM.