10 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

Ok guys, so I got the Sim Wings Reus Scenery as ive been there a few times in real life and its a nice place. Only when I fired up Flight Sim I noticed that the AFCAD was kind of messy.

Heres a screenshot taken from the game:

Posted Image

In real life, instead of the aircraft pushing back like they would at any other airport at Reus they just simply turn on the semi circle leading off from the stand. But in the Sim Wings AFCAD the aircraft still push back.

So I had a go at editing the AFCAD myself:

Posted Image

In my setup above this makes the aircraft leave the stand like they should using the semi circle but it also cause them to enter the stand like that aswell. If I add an apron which leads onto the stand normally the aircraft start to push back again.

Is there any way around this or is this not possible in Flight Sim?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.

#2 Antimod

Antimod

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

What happens if you connect that left top node to the parking spot? Than it might use that to park and start to taxi to the right.

#3 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

The top left node is aleady connected the parking spot, thats what stops it from pushing back and starts its engines on the spot.

At the moment the aircraft end up parking like this:

Posted Image

#4 Prash

Prash

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

shouldnt this be in AFCAD forums?

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

First of all, by disconnecting the parking spot from the existing taxiway node (blue line in the original AFCAD), you have made it impossible for ATC to route the aircraft nose-in.  The only choice ATC has is the new route you have put in; that's why your aircraft park the way they do.  ATC cannot direct aircraft across a broken link.  Second, how AI aircraft depart a parking spot is built into the sim's AI-engine.  You can't change that by altering the AFCAD.

You might, however, be able to fool the AI-engine.  Restore the original pathway by connecting the parking spot to the original taxiway node.  Now, remember that the center of the parking spot is where the main gear are located.  You want the AI-engine to think there is a straight-ahead path directly in front of the NOSE gear, so move your first node of the turn out up near the most forward point of the "stick" aircraft displayed on the parking spot.  The AI-engine "should" see this as a forward direction of travel and allow the aircraft to move forward off of the parking spot, then execute the turn and acquire the path back to the taxiway.  So long as you maintain full connectivity, and the aircraft parking spot heading, ATC will make every attempt to park that aircraft on that heading ... which means NOT using the new path you created except to exit the spot.

Edited by sarge, 28 April 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Sarge did you mean something like this:

Posted Image

Because sadly that makes the aircraft still pushback :lol:

There is a similar example of this happening at London City airport where the aircraft pull into the stand and do a 180 degree turn and stop and then when they want to leave they just set of forware and don't push back. An AFCAD was created for London City with that method working.

#7 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

View PostCapt. Bulb, on Apr 28 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

Sarge did you mean something like this:
Because sadly that makes the aircraft still pushback :lol:

There is a similar example of this happening at London City airport where the aircraft pull into the stand and do a 180 degree turn and stop and then when they want to leave they just set of forware and don't push back. An AFCAD was created for London City with that method working.
Yes.  Still doesn't work, huh?  Okay, try moving those new nodes to the edge of the parking spot all the way around; it could be a conflict caused by the turning radius proximity to the next parking spot.  If that pull-forward-and-turn would cause a collision with any part of an aircraft parked on the next spot, ATC will not clear that direction of travel; the push back will become the only option for the aircraft to make its departure schedule.

The reason I'm still suggesting this method is that I use a form of it at my military airbases.  Arriving AI military aircraft taxi down the backside of a row, turn into the parking spot, then -- when ready for the next flight -- pull forward and turn to travel up the frontside of the row and out to the taxiways.  Works every time, none of them have ever attempted a push-back.  ATC even holds their taxi clearance if there's another AI aircraft on the route they need to travel and would collide with them if separation wasn't provided.  But they've NEVER tried a push-back to depart.

Edited by sarge, 28 April 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#8 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

Ok I tried something like this Sarge but still no luck :lol:

Posted Image

#9 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

View PostCapt. Bulb, on Apr 29 2007, 06:53 AM, said:

Ok I tried something like this Sarge but still no luck :angry:
Dang it!!!!!  That should have worked, because it's just a modification of my fighter ramp routes.   :lol:  I'll do some experimenting and see what I can work out ..... that's LERS, right?

#10 Capt. Bulb

Capt. Bulb

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

Yep, Sim Wings/Aerosoft Reus 2005 (LERS)

I positive thats how they operate considering ive been there before.

Thanks for your help so far Sarge, good luck.

I'll keep trying.

#11 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

View PostCapt. Bulb, on Apr 29 2007, 12:24 PM, said:

Yep, Sim Wings/Aerosoft Reus 2005 (LERS)
I positive thats how they operate considering ive been there before.
Thanks for your help so far Sarge, good luck.
I'll keep trying.
Well, I don't have that particular scenery, but it doesn't matter.  If the routing works, it works for any AFCAD into which it's placed.  So far, after trying four different positionings, the only way I can get it to work is spread out the parking.  Parking spot here - blank space equal to diameter of the parking spot here - second parking spot here.  And that is explanable by ATC not routing aircraft so that they will "crash" into each other (doesn't make any difference if you have crash effects turned off or on; if ATC thinks there isn't enough wingtip clearance, it won't use that route).  I'm still working on it though .....