Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hi everybody,
new to the forum and to AFCAD.
I have some problems creating an airfield in Angola. I have created the runway and the NDB but, as you can see, I have some "small" problems.
1 - the runway exists only on the map but if I overfly it is not there.
2 - the plane is located in the centre while I'm trying to place her at the beginning (as it should)
3 - I don't know how to put the name on the runway i.e. 18 and 36. I mean I have given these numbers on the edit files, but when I scroll the list of available runways (under FS) they are not there.
4 - Where is the problem in the sorrounding environment? After I load this location the aircraft crashes immeditely

All I have done is to create the BGL file and place it on the Flight Simulator 9\SCENERY\Afri\scenery folder.
I'm using AFCAD221
I beg your pardon for the huge poster, next time shall be wiser.

Thanks a lot.

Posted Image

#2 tik68

tik68

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

:lol: YEAH!  :angry:  a underground airport. :lol:

#3 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:08 PM

BWaaHaHaHa! :lol:

i done that before!

http://www.flightsim...x...c=69998&hl=

you need to make a flatten file under the airport.
a cheap and dirt trick? >>place a taxiway the same size as the runway UNDER the runway.
afcad taxiways have flatten properties.

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

View PostLorenz, on May 2 2007, 04:09 PM, said:

1 - the runway exists only on the map but if I overfly it is not there.
This is because the runway is at the wrong elevation (too high, or too low).  From the looks of things, it's too low.  Do you know the latitude and longitude of where you want the runway?  If so, create a flight at any airport in the world, on the active runway.  When the sim starts up and you are on the runway, switch to the map and change the latitude/longitude to the location you want to place your airport.  You may have to fly the aircraft for a bit and land on the bare ground.  Once you are on the ground and stopped, switch back to map mode and notice the altitude your are at ..... you will then need to know how high above the ground your cockpit sits.  (For example, a Cessna 172 cockpit is approximately 4 feet above ground level.)  Subtract the cockpit altitude from the altitude shown in map mode; that is the altitude your AFCAD has to be.  That should allow your AFCAD runway to show up.  As mobisone said, you may have to write flatten switch to level the ground along the entire path of the runway and to make the nearby terrain the same elevation as the runway.

2 - the plane is located in the centre while I'm trying to place her at the beginning (as it should)
You need to add starting points to each end of the runway.  If there are no starting points, the sim places your aircraft on the center of the runway.  The starting points give you a selection of which end of the runway from which to start your flight.

3 - I don't know how to put the name on the runway i.e. 18 and 36. I mean I have given these numbers on the edit files, but when I scroll the list of available runways (under FS) they are not there.
Do not place the AFCAD in the \Afri\scenery folder; put your new AFCAD in \Addon Scenery\Scenery.

Edited by sarge, 03 May 2007 - 09:28 AM.

#5 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:22 AM

Thanks everybody,
I will try when I come home. I thought I had written down the correct altitude for that site, shall investigate.

Cheers
Lorenzo

#6 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

But Sarge wait a minute: you say that CESSNA 172 cockpit is 12 feet high? Are you sure? I thought a 737 cockpit was that high...

#7 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

View PostLorenz, on May 3 2007, 02:22 AM, said:

Thanks everybody,
I will try when I come home. I thought I had written down the correct altitude for that site, shall investigate.
Never forget that Microsoft made a TONNE of mistakes throughout the world .... what the REAL area's elevation is, may not be quite what Microsoft thought it was :lol:  -- best to double-check what MS put in the sim by making a landing there.  Also, make sure AFCAD is dealing with the same measurements you are .... if you're putting in distances in meters, makes sure you have selected metric in Tools - Options (from the toolbar); if feet, make sure the two metric boxes in that menu are unchecked.

In addition to flattening the area, you may have to exclude bushes, trees, etc., to get them off of your runways and taxiways.  But I progress too quickly ..... first trick is to get that runway to show up.  Let us know what happens .....

View PostLorenz, on May 3 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

But Sarge wait a minute: you say that CESSNA 172 cockpit is 12 feet high? Are you sure? I thought a 737 cockpit was that high...
My bad ..... the seat of your pants is FOUR feet above the ground in a Cessna 172.  :angry:  (Gotta quit snorting 7-Up when I'm typing :lol: )

Edited by sarge, 03 May 2007 - 09:26 AM.

#8 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi Sarge,
concerning CESSNA cockpit height I've thought whether Sarge is wrong, or I didn't understand a f*** of airplanes till now.

:lol: I got it! No more underground runways...

2 questions for you:

1 - I want to rotate the runway to give her a heading of 220°. By default she's stucked at 180°. How can I rotate?
2 - Yes I got those bushes nicely in the middle of the concrete; actually I have seen the long post on this site on "How to remove..." but all links to the necessary softwares do not work any longer. Since I'm completely new to AFCAD, and since I want to create only this single runway in this area, can you tell me exactly what's the easiest way to get rid of the trees. Should I add some lines to the "Scenery.cfg" file, would you suggest me the correct syntax?
I'm so thrilled I'm looking forward to use her.

Thank you so much
Lorenzo

#9 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

give me the center LAT. LON. co ordinates of the place your working on with the length of the RWY. and i slap a flatten BLG your way. :lol:

#10 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Here they are:
S8*.00
E20*.00
RWY LENGHT: 5300 ft.

BTW I have just learnt how to rotate the runway. But hey...is there any way to erase something you're not happy of? OK, apart from the "Undo" command. It seems that once you have draw the line you did it for good!

Thanks a lot.
Lorenzo  :lol:

EDIT: the width is 1000 ft. 220° MAG. yes it's quite particular this airfield.

Edited by Lorenz, 03 May 2007 - 01:39 PM.

#11 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

click offending line or item in AFCAD to highlight and hit DELETE. :lol:

EDIT: QUICKLY! WHAT IS THE GROUND ALTITUDE NEAR THE AIRPORT?

Edited by mobisone, 03 May 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#12 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:07 PM

Googd question. I didn't make any search, but I suspect it must be similar. It seems to be quite flat.

#13 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

acording to your screenshot evne underground you are still over 1000 feet above sea level.
if i put in the wrong alt, you will have a flatten that looks weird.

Nevermind LOL you gave me the location.

Edited by mobisone, 03 May 2007 - 02:13 PM.

#14 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Wait wait...now it's OK! The runway looks absolutely normal, if you want I send you a new screnshot!!

3256,20 Ft. is the exact altitude and the sourrounding area seems to be identical.

Edited by Lorenz, 03 May 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#15 mobisone

mobisone

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

dod you still need the exclude and flatten files ? their done and ready to go.

#16 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

Yes I do,...then I will try to understand how it was done for future use...

#17 Lorenz

Lorenz

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi!
thanks to Richard (aka Mr. Mobisone) I have finally managed to flatten this area and have no trees on the runway anymore
Look at the picture, Ok please don't consider taxiways work is in progress there, but why is the right corner so rounded?
Any suggestions is appreciated. Also I'd like to thank again Mobisone for the useful links and nice words.

Posted Image

Edited by Lorenz, 04 May 2007 - 10:18 AM.