#1 johnpc

johnpc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

This is the scenario:
I know about using star runways to activate crosswind runways and that works fine. My question is this; is it possible to use the star runway setup on an airport with only one runway to block one end?

Here's an example: BGSF has one runway 10/28 which is ILS equipped on 10. According to the real world facts I've managed to get, landing is only on this runway due to a mountain smack in the way of the final approach on 28. BGSF is at the end of a fjord.

What I'm trying to do then is to force ALL landing traffic to use R/W 10 while takeoffs can be done in both directions.

I've set up a star according to the star calculator (22 runways) and placed this approx 310,000ft (58 miles) from the airport and all these runways are closed for landing and take off. The useable runway 10 is open for both landing and takeoff and 28 is closed for landing.

I sat and watched the AI for a while but they are still landing on 28.

1. Do I need to close 28 completely for this to work? (That's a compromise I can live with)
2. Does it in fact work?
3. If the answer to 2 is NO is there any way to do it?

I had the star tutorial but it's got lost (deleted) and PAI hasn't put it back up after they modified their site. Has anyone got one they can send me?

BGSF is only one of a few airports I need to do this with, so the key to opening the secret is very much appreciated.

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:05 PM

View Postjohnpc, on May 12 2007, 04:00 AM, said:

This is the scenario:
I know about using star runways to activate crosswind runways and that works fine. My question is this; is it possible to use the star runway setup on an airport with only one runway to block one end?

Here's an example: BGSF has one runway 10/28 which is ILS equipped on 10. According to the real world facts I've managed to get, landing is only on this runway due to a mountain smack in the way of the final approach on 28. BGSF is at the end of a fjord.

What I'm trying to do then is to force ALL landing traffic to use R/W 10 while takeoffs can be done in both directions.

I've set up a star according to the star calculator (22 runways) and placed this approx 310,000ft (58 miles) from the airport and all these runways are closed for landing and take off. The useable runway 10 is open for both landing and takeoff and 28 is closed for landing.

I sat and watched the AI for a while but they are still landing on 28.

1. Do I need to close 28 completely for this to work? (That's a compromise I can live with)
2. Does it in fact work?
3. If the answer to 2 is NO is there any way to do it?

I had the star tutorial but it's got lost (deleted) and PAI hasn't put it back up after they modified their site. Has anyone got one they can send me?

BGSF is only one of a few airports I need to do this with, so the key to opening the secret is very much appreciated.
You don't need the STAR stuff ...... open the airport in AFCAD, highlight the runway, right click then select Properties.  Make sure "Closed for Landing" has a tic in the box for Rwy 28; save the modification.  That's all you need.  Rwy 10 will still be used for take-offs and landings but Rwy 28 will be restricted to take-offs only.

#3 johnpc

johnpc

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hi Sarge!

Thanks for the reply. Maybe the simple solution works after all. I've tried to close one end for landings many times but my FS seems to ignore this.

My star seemed to force all traffic to 28 regardless of wind (010/15) and the landing closure. So I closed 28 for landing and takeoff. Now it looks like all traffic is going to 10.

I never doubt your knowledge  :lol:  so I'll try once again without the star and let you know how it goes. I'll feel a bit  :angry:  if it does actually work.

Do you have that Star Guide by any chance?

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

View Postjohnpc, on May 14 2007, 06:48 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply. Maybe the simple solution works after all. I've tried to close one end for landings many times but my FS seems to ignore this.
Suggestion:  save your modified AFCAD to the \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.  That folder has a higher priority than the normal FS9 scenery directories; they're read first, then the \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.  Last read is what's applied.

I never doubt your knowledge  :angry:  so I'll try once again without the star and let you know how it goes.
Do .... and if it still doesn't work for you, give me a shot at it.  When you make your modification, make sure you move the STAR mod out of the FS9 directory structure so FS9 can't read it.

I'll feel a bit  :lol:  if it does actually work.
Why?  I've done several mods exactly "by the book" and they didn't work as advertised.  I had to find work-arounds to things that were supposed to work.  MSFS was not designed as "user-friendly" software, and sometimes it sure as :lol:  ain't.  :wub:   Just don't give up, though ......

Do you have that Star Guide by any chance?
AVSIM file library, look for starcalc.zip by Matt Duxbury.

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:50 PM

Just did the alteration to BGSF .... it works.   :lol: