10 replies to this topic

#1 SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

Been using FSX for a while now and it has always bugged me that the multiplayer session on Game Spy always disconnects.  It is the "You have Logged on with another computer" disconnect.  After about three login attempts it will usually stay in the sesson until I can choose a game.  Then it disconnects but lets me continue in the session I already joined.

Hosting a session is an automatic disconnect.

So, I did some troubleshooting and discovered if I eliminate my router, Linksys WRT54G, and plug my computer directly into my Cable Modem, Motorola Surfboard SB5120, it greatly reduced the disconnects.  With this method I can even host a session.  Setting a DMZ in the router and port forwarding does not help.

Any tips on a better router.  Anyone using the surfboard modem, a router, and FSX Multiplayer with sucess?

Thanks for your replies,

SunDevilPilot

#2 Dadfish

Dadfish

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:52 PM

GameSpy is notorisouly unreliable..I suggest direct IP or FSHost if you like to fly online with others.

#3 GOZR

GOZR

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

I have no idea why M$ went with the GameSpy thing it is so bad.. using FSHOST is cool but planes are way too jerky that it become not fun to fly online.
So we really need an other software because right now it's bad.. real bad.

#4 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

Gamespy has always been bad.

People used to come into the AA Tech Support about Gamespy not loading any games, and we always tell them to switch the server browsers.

So yep, as these peoples said above me, try FSHostSpy :lol: works all the time and is very nice :censored: (plus its freeware)

#5 SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

Here is something to think about,

I plugged my computer directly into my Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem, bypassing the linksys router, and got no disconnects through several sessions.  The game played smoothly and appeared lag free.  This makes me think the router is the issue and not Game Spy in itself.  Sure, it could be a little more tolerant to hardware but I think I have found my problem.  However, the solution created another problem.  I can't have a network without a router.  So....

Based on several reviews I am going to add a D-Link DGL-4300 Router and see if this can fix the issue.  Reviews claim this router bosts extremely low latency and solid port forwarding.

Will post with results,

SunDevilPilot

#6 SunDevilPilot

SunDevilPilot

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

Results:

After removing my Linksys Router and adding the D-Link DGL-4300 Router all my disconnects have gone away.  Not exactly sure why the D-Link works better than the Linksys but it does.  Simply setup port forwarding and fly away.

Hope this helps others with similar issues,

SunDevilPilot

#7 smonkcaptain

smonkcaptain

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

Its a common problem, happens to me all the time:(

#8 Johnsmithfsx

Johnsmithfsx

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

Sorry for bringing up this dead topic, but is it still working that well?

#9 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

GameSpy in FSX is just as bad as it's always been.

There's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925896) with whole list of ports you need to open, which I've tried a long while back, but I didn't really notice any difference.  More recently, Lotus posted a tutorial for registered L-39 users on changing router settings for GameSpy, which I assume is based on the KB article.  Haven't tried it, at least yet, since the KB article didn't seem to help when I tried it before.

I think directly connecting to your modem still works, though.

Edited by ollyau, 29 July 2010 - 01:29 AM.

#10 Johnsmithfsx

Johnsmithfsx

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Oh Lotus did? Was this in his forum?

#11 ollyau

ollyau

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members