5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Jurgensen

Peter Jurgensen

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

I only recently started to use FSX and got hooked. So much that I bought a new "super" computer with 3 LCD displays and two hefty graphic cards. Here are the data:

Dual Core Intel CPU 6700 @ 2.66 GHz
3 GB Ram
2 units NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX with 788 MB abd 384BIT
3 units 22 inch vide screen LCD displays 1680 x 1050, 32 bit
Saitek X52 Pro joystick with throttle handle.

I have connected 2 displays to one of the graphic cards and the third one to the second card.

Initially I used a "lower" second graphic card, also GeForce 8800 GTX but with 375MB but I was told I had to use same size of cards. However I noticed no difference after uprgrading the second graphic card and I am still having problems with very low frame rate even at fairly low setting on the FSX graphic sliders. Only when setting at default, I get a frame rate of 17 when using only one display, but it goes down to 8 with all three displays.

Is there any way I can improve the frame rate without sacrificing a lot on the quality of the graphics? Perhaps changing to Windows Vista would help.

I would appreciate your advice very much. Feels kind of sad having invested in what I thought hwas the best I could buy and then still cannot achieve a very realistic appearance - it's like flying around in a cartoon. :lol:

#2 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

View PostPeter Jurgensen, on Aug 11 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

I only recently started to use FSX and got hooked. So much that I bought a new "super" computer with 3 LCD displays and two hefty graphic cards. Here are the data:

3 GB Ram

I have connected 2 displays to one of the graphic cards and the third one to the second card.

Initially I used a "lower" second graphic card, also GeForce 8800 GTX but with 375MB but I was told I had to use same size of cards. However I noticed no difference after uprgrading the second graphic card and I am still having problems with very low frame rate even at fairly low setting on the FSX graphic sliders. Only when setting at default, I get a frame rate of 17 when using only one display, but it goes down to 8 with all three displays.

Is there any way I can improve the frame rate without sacrificing a lot on the quality of the graphics? Perhaps changing to Windows Vista would help.

I would appreciate your advice very much. Feels kind of sad having invested in what I thought hwas the best I could buy and then still cannot achieve a very realistic appearance - it's like flying around in a cartoon. :censored:

:lol:

WOW sounds like what I did!!!! Keep in mind that you're trying to drive Three displays that means 3X the work for the GPU's. I'm assuming that you haven't Overclocked your machine. With that setup you have a lot of room to get more from it. I would guess that you should be able to get 3.0GHz very easily and get more from your GPU's. Have you updated to XFS SP1 yet? SP1 will use the 2nd Core. Also if you do try to OC you will get more heat so keep that in mind. Check out the Tweaks for SP1 they help with the FPS's.
That's all I can say for now. I'm just getting back into FSX after putting it aside for sometime while I researched, built and overclocked my machine.

Good Luck!!! You have a Good Start for a lot of  HAPPY  FLYING.

EDIT

I would stay away from VISTA for now. I've seen post after post on other sites that start out by saying “Well I just upgraded to VISTA and have a problem that I didn't have with XP" let them get it working better than try it.

Tree Trimmer

Edited by Tree Trimmer, 11 August 2007 - 08:36 AM.

#3 rf360m

rf360m

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

View PostPeter Jurgensen, on Aug 11 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

3 GB Ram

I would appreciate your advice very much. Feels kind of sad having invested in what I thought hwas the best I could buy and then still cannot achieve a very realistic appearance - it's like flying around in a cartoon. :lol:

Well 17 fps with just one monitor and those specs seem very low to me.  I get an average of 30 fps at most places with max autogen and scenery and 50% traffic.  Admittedly I'm using a 19" monitor at 1280x1024, but still 17 seems very low.

I've tried using three monitors for a total of 3840x1024 resolution and I only lost 1 or 2 fps.  However that was using the triple head2go to have one large span.  Are you running the 3 monitors as one large one or as two or three separate ones?  I found that running them as separate monitors within FSX cause huge frame rate loss.

And you are using a total of 5040x1050 pixels, which is huge.  I think the bottle neck is the cpu, not the gpu.  You'd need to overclock it to get good performance.  (Only do this if you are comfortable of course)

-Russell

#4 Peter Jurgensen

Peter Jurgensen

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for all good suggestions. I will try them out soonest. :lol:
I use 3 separate displays- will try to set them up as one.

#5 bbriansg

bbriansg

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

I'm getting 24 fps with 3 x 23" full HD monitors (3D surround - 5760 x 1080) on FSX Gold. My setup is:

Quad Core Intel I7-4770
16 GB DDR3 Ram
1 NVIDIA GeForce 660 SC
Full Saitek panel

#6 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

View Postbbriansg, on 13 December 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm getting 24 fps with 3 x 23" full HD monitors (3D surround - 5760 x 1080) on FSX Gold. My setup is:

Quad Core Intel I7-4770
16 GB DDR3 Ram
1 NVIDIA GeForce 660 SC
Full Saitek panel

The original poster made this topic in 2007 so I doubt he will respond. :P

Are you having trouble with your setup? 24 FPS is not really that bad in FSX.