+1 reason to buy FSX!

#3 rf360m

rf360m

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

That's really nice!  By far the best DX10 example I've seen.  Unlike aircraft self shadowing, which you don't see while flying the plane, this provides much more integration with the environment!  +1 for vista and dx-10 now. :lol:

#4 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

Looks nice and will certainly add to the realism. Now if only they would put some cloud shadows in so we get a transition when flying in broken clouds.

#5 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:19 PM

View Postrabbitweasel, on Oct 9 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

Looks nice and will certainly add to the realism. Now if only they would put some cloud shadows in so we get a transition when flying in broken clouds.

thats the only thing i wanted out of the patch. aint going to happen though!

#6 Mark Ashton

Mark Ashton

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:55 AM

wow!  :lol:

that's great! sure I'm disappointed with the lack of 'god-rays' in SP2, but seeing this, well, it makes up for it. What a difference this will make!

I primarily fly in cockpit, due to trackir, so the immersive experience in FSX is going to increase several notches now! brilliant.

/Mark.

#7 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Wow! Thanks for posting, really tells us what to expect!

#8 Leif Bramsing

Leif Bramsing

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:46 PM

Why don't they make DX10 to XP :lol:

#9 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

View PostLeif Bramsing, on Oct 10 2007, 01:46 PM, said:

Why don't they make DX10 to XP :censored:

clever people are making it right now. cant find the link tho   :lol::lol:

#10 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Too bad Vista is so expensive.

#11 BlueVanGogh

BlueVanGogh

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

i couldn't tell from the video but i wonder if every switch and knob will cast shadows too. say if the sun was directly above you, will the knobs and all have a shadow underneath them.

#12 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

View PostVFRDUDE123, on Oct 10 2007, 04:04 PM, said:

Too bad Vista is so expensive.

Free update with a £400 machine and another one as an OEM for £69, expensive???  Buy at retail yes, I agree.

Reider

#13 sonicwave

sonicwave

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

View Postspam3d, on Oct 10 2007, 03:38 PM, said:

I think you can really forget about DX10 on XP.

There have been extensive technical explanations also from Phil Taylor at his blog why this would not work. And even if someone gets it done, what do you think the performance hit is going to be? DX9 and DX10 with some exceptions look more or less the same (check Mango & Cell's screenies in the FSX SP2/Acceleration screenshot topic), but with true DX10 hardware you gain performance. With DX9 hardware you will get sub-par performance due to the extra "DX10-like" work, for almost no added eye candy whatsoever.

And besides, DX10 hardware is getting cheaper by the week.

#14 Spam

Spam

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:33 AM

View Postsonicwave, on Oct 11 2007, 08:55 AM, said:

View Postspam3d, on Oct 10 2007, 03:38 PM, said:

Why don't they make DX10 to XP :hilarious:

clever people are making it right now. cant find the link tho   :censored::lol:

I think you can really forget about DX10 on XP.

There have been extensive technical explanations also from Phil Taylor at his blog why this would not work. And even if someone gets it done, what do you think the performance hit is going to be? DX9 and DX10 with some exceptions look more or less the same (check Mango & Cell's screenies in the FSX SP2/Acceleration screenshot topic), but with true DX10 hardware you gain performance. With DX9 hardware you will get sub-par performance due to the extra "DX10-like" work, for almost no added eye candy whatsoever.

And besides, DX10 hardware is getting cheaper by the week.

Fair point, im sure the performance is not as good. And i do mean using dx10 hardware on xp system. but it did say it can be done because the earlier dx10 for vista had some different way of using memory (i know that doesnt help much but i cant remember what it said, but that was the jist of it  :lol: ) which they never implimented into the final relese of vista,  thus enabling people to use dx10 on xp  :lol:

oh i think theres somthing in this months custom pc about it if someone cares to dig it up as i havent got it  :lol:

Edited by spam3d, 11 October 2007 - 09:35 AM.

#15 h.V

h.V

formerly DiscoveryVACEO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

Looks great

#16 sonicwave

sonicwave

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

View Postspam3d, on Oct 11 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

Fair point, im sure the performance is not as good. And i do mean using dx10 hardware on xp system. but it did say it can be done because the earlier dx10 for vista had some different way of using memory (i know that doesnt help much but i cant remember what it said, but that was the jist of it  :lol: ) which they never implimented into the final relese of vista,  thus enabling people to use dx10 on xp  :censored:

oh i think theres somthing in this months custom pc about it if someone cares to dig it up as i havent got it  :lol:

it would be cool though, havnig DX10 (using DX10 hw) in XP. I really am not a big fan of Vista. Tried it, and went back to XP 3 months later. It would be better if there was a default theme that made the whole GUI look like XP!

#17 PhilTaylor

PhilTaylor

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

View Postspam3d, on Oct 10 2007, 04:38 PM, said:

http://www.fallingle...php?showforum=4 is the forum link for FallingLeafSystems who made the claim they were doing this, even for non DX10 hw. I went thru their claims and debunked the part of that claimed to work on DX9 hw and showed the rest of it really amounts to a reverse OGL-D3D wrapper which is "intern level" work and nothing revolutionary.

They claimed a July and then a Aug 15 release. We are now almost to Oct 15. There hasnt been a peep since before Aug 15.  So it doesnt appear to be making progress.

Edited by PhilTaylor, 12 October 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#18 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:34 PM

Phil, why could there not be a "DX10" for XP ? Thats a genuine question, given that a lot of the world is XP? Maybe the question is why did MS not do DX10 for XP as well as Vista?

#19 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

View PostCapt_Gabe, on Oct 12 2007, 03:34 PM, said:

Phil, why could there not be a "DX10" for XP ? Thats a genuine question, given that a lot of the world is XP? Maybe the question is why did MS not do DX10 for XP as well as Vista?
There could be if MS really wanted to, but they don't. Because they're using DX10 to try to entice gamers to Vista. I don't buy the "we couldn't backport DX10 to XP because it would've been like totally hard and stuff" excuse.

#20 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

View Postdiluted, on Oct 12 2007, 05:04 PM, said:

View PostCapt_Gabe, on Oct 12 2007, 03:34 PM, said:

There could be if MS really wanted to, but they don't. Because they're using DX10 to try to entice gamers to Vista. I don't buy the "we couldn't backport DX10 to XP because it would've been like totally hard and stuff" excuse.

Indeed, they just want to shove vista down our throats. Without DX10, what would vista really offer? that's why they have to milk this for all its worth to sell us a bloated OS. So that's where were at, I guess I'll have to get vista and DX10 hardware for features that could've been easily produced in DX9. *sigh*