6 replies to this topic

#1 kamakazi

kamakazi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

There has been a lot of questions on whether or not you could connect to multiplayer in FSX. The answer is yes. But the real question is how to connect to an Fshost server in FSX. I'm going to cover that in this guide. :lol:

Things You'll Need

FSHostSpy This is needed to find FSX servers hosted via Fshost
FsHostClient The client you will need to connect to the server.

Now, this is going to take a measily 5 mins. Follow everything right or you are going to make it a boring 20 mins.

1). Once you download both of the Chocolate Software products, extract them somewhere. Make sure any files included in the download stays together.

2). Launch FSX, and go to Windowed Mode. You won't be able to connect in full-screen mode. Press ALT + ENTER to switch between the two.

3). In FSX, you will have to change some settings. You will need to set your AI to 0% and turn on the name labels over the aircraft. If you know how to set these options, go to step 4. If not, read below.

Set all AI to 0%

Go to Options, then Settings then Display. Click on the Traffic tab, and set both AI sliders to 0%. You want none.

Turn on Player Name Labels

Player Name Labels are those informative bits above an aircraft in multiplayer, or over AI. You will need to turn this on because you want to see others in a great amount of distance to avoid collisions. This option is in the same Traffic tab as the AI so there is no need to move anywhere. You will need to check the box next to "Aircraft labels" section on the right. In Addition, check the box next to "Tail number", in order to see the other players' names.

4). Once done, you will need to go into the FSHostClient and connect via that. Press CTRL + M, and fill out the details accordingly, and before you know it, you will be online. Make sure to configure your firewall to allow connections from FSHostClient or it wouldn't be able to connect.

That's it. Your done. Have fun flying..

So, what's with FSHostSpy? This spy program is a program that lists all the FSHost servers that are configured to load to the main server. The program loads the server list, and displays them to you with description, players, flight plans, etc. This program is very useful if you don't want to fly on GameSpy or want to fly on a private server. This makes finding a FSX server faster and easier.

What's with 'planes.txt'? - This is a feature in the client where you can create an 'alias' list for planes. If you read the list, you will see one plane matched with a plane from FSX (Default) or anything similar. You can edit this list to add more planes, but for the name, you will need the exact naming of the aircraft from the aircraft.cfg file. Wildcard rules work so you can use the '*' in the <pattern> to generate a more broader range of alias planes. If you still don't understand this, read the 'planes.txt' readme file to get more info.

Enjoy flying on FSX!

Edited by Kamakazi, 06 November 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#2 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

Has anyone made HostClient work with FSX + SP2?  Apparently there is an issue with the simconnect that is causing issues with host client to start up.

With this being said, I am having issues getting onto any FSHost sessions.  All ports test open and ok with the FSPortTest but there is no way to connect to the session without host client.

Bman.

#3 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

I can confirm that FSHostClient works for FSX+SP2. I use it almost every day :hrmm:

#4 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

I am sure it does - I am just reading about the simconnect.dll errors that occur with FSHostclient on their support forum.  
The only fix I see is the noted C++ install again and simconnect.  Apparently you don't have the solution either.  It's ok, nonetheless, I will stay busy on Vatsim.

http://www.chocolate...hostclient.html

Posted Image

Fact is that everything I have that connects through simconnect works flawlessly (and specifically the TrackIR) and I can't justify jacking up the rest of the program to fly on a small network.  My only intention at the time was to surprise a couple of guys on the FSW server.  The same principal applies to the C++ Redistributable.  I have done enough hoops with that to get the Cheyenne to install correctly.  

This is another down side for me "Make sure FSX is in "windowed" mode, not "Full Screen".  That kills the point of my matrox.

Any way, carry on fellas.  If you want to fly together somewhere, see you on Vatsim!

Bman.

EDIT : I just couldn't handle not figuring it out.  I went ahead and installed the SDK from the base disc and the old simconnect.dll from the SDK library.  I am hoping this old simconnect library doesn't conflict with anything but well see.  Regardless, FSHostClient opens fine now.  I will keep you posted on the rest of the items...here's to keeping fingers crossed.

Edited by Bman., 30 July 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#5 David_Lee_Roth

David_Lee_Roth

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:10 AM

Also, just don't press enter inside of the sim while connected, as it has BSOD'd me 3 or 4 times from pressing enter in game :S.

#6 jondownie

jondownie

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

Does this work with FS9?

#7 kamakazi

kamakazi

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

View Postjondownie, on Sep 23 2008, 08:02 AM, said:

Does this work with FS9?

No. For FS9, just launch Fshostspy to find a server, and just connect to it.