• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

The Ft Rucker helicopter training complex of the US Army's aviation training program consists of five separate sites -- Ft Rucker itself and four nearby heliports (Hanchey, Knox, Lowe, and Shell Field).  Under the 110th Aviation Training Brigade, the Army trains pilots in the CH-47, L-19, OH-58, TH-67, UH-1, and UH-60 aircraft.  The US Air Force also sends it's UH-60 pilots to the Ft Rucker complex for training.

On Ft Rucker proper -- Cairns Army Air Field (Cairns AAF) -- the 1st Battalion, 223rd Aviation Regiment (1/223) conducts training in the TH-67 and CH-47D; the 1/223 also conducts training in the L-19 and CH-47 at Knox Army Heliport (KFHK).  1/14 conducts training on the AH-64 and OH-58 at Hanchey Army Airfield (KHEY); 1/222 conducts training in the L-19 and OH-58 at Lowe Army Heliport (LOR), as well as training in TH-67, OH-58, and UH-1 at Shell Field Army Heliport (KSXS).  The Helicopter School Battalion (HSB) also uses Shell Field to provide helicopter flight and maintenance training in Spanish for several countries in Latin America and the Caribbean in support of USSOUTHCOM.

In modifying/updating this complex I ran into one problem, however.  Except for Cairns AAF, there are NO operational runways that an L-19 (a milspec Cessna 170) can use.  Specifically:

Hanchey (KHEY) lists only rwy 17/35, 500' x 50', and specifies it as a helicopter runway.
Knox (KFHK) lists only helipads H1 thru H6 under "Runway Information."
Lowe (LOR) lists 6L/24R, 6R/24L, 18L/36R, and 18R/36L as runways, but then states that there are no usable runways.
Shell Field (KSXS) lists Helipads H1 thru H5, and HA thru HC under "Runway Information" then states that H1, HA, and HB are closed due to parking.

There are no identifable L-19 parking spots shown on satellite images of Cairns, Hanchey, Knox, Lowe, and Shell Field.  So, obviously, I had to become a bit creative where I could to provide for L-19 operations at Cairns, Knox, and Lowe.  On the other hand, with only three exceptions (the AH-64, L-19, and UH-1), all five locations will feature framerate-friendly static aircraft; .mdl static objects for the CH-47, OH-58, TH-67, and UH-60 are used.  Work is in progress with a well-known scenery object designer to obtain .mdl static objects for the UH-1 and AH-64.

Ft Rucker (Cairns AAF)
Posted Image

Hanchey Army Heliport
Posted Image

Knox Army Heliport
Posted Image

Lowe Army Heliport
Posted Image

Shell Field Army Heliport (new AFCAD in-work)
Posted Image

Cairns, Hanchey, and Knox are complete to the point of placing scenery objects; some static aircraft have been placed, but there are many buildings (tower, hangars, etc.) that have yet to be located or created, and then installed.  Lowe is currently in progress; the sheer number of helipads shown at Lowe is taking quite a bit of time to place correctly.  Shell Field will not be started until Lowe is at least completed to the same level as Cairns, Hanchey, and Knox.  Release is not anticipated prior to the New Year.

Edited by sarge, 23 November 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#2 Cereal_Guy

Cereal_Guy

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

WOW!
nice project sarge i'm definitely going to DL that when its finished!

ps somebody need to make helicopter AI for that!! :lol:

#3 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

View PostBF109, on Nov 23 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

WOW!
nice project sarge i'm definitely going to DL that when its finished!
Thanks; been working on it for about 3 months now, probably another two months to go.  It will be released as "selectware" -- meaning, I have selected to release it ONLY from my site (see link in signature) and, of course, here at FlightSimWorld.

View PostBF109, on Nov 23 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

ps somebody need to make helicopter AI for that!! :lol:
HoverControl has several files by Holger Sandmann that contain modified FDE (.air files) that will allow you to use flyable rotors as AI helicopters.  Rob Nieuwenhoven also has a package for specific helicopters.

#4 Cereal_Guy

Cereal_Guy

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

:lol:  didn't know that AI helicoters exist...wow.......keep up with the good work!
can't wait to see some sceenshots... :lol:

#5 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

View PostBF109, on Nov 25 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

:lol:  didn't know that AI helicoters exist...
Specifically AI?  They don't; but those modified .air files will let you use flyable helicopters (the default Bell and any of the flyable models at HoverControl.com) as AI.  Since the flyable models are HIGH polygon count aircraft, you wouldn't want to put too many of them into a particular scenery at one time.  But the modified files will let them work as AI.

View PostBF109, on Nov 25 2007, 05:12 PM, said:

can't wait to see some sceenshots... :lol:
That's why I'm looking for a rotorhead.  I could probably "fake" a helicopter flight in FS9 to test the package, but I'd really like someone who can fly FS9's helicopters to do the testing and screenshots.  Got a couple of months before that hits the schedule, though .....

#6 Awesumus Pwntius

Awesumus Pwntius

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hey Sarge, my dads entire side of the family grew up there near Ft Rucker . If you head over to Enterprise, look for WALDEN Lane, and that entire area around the farm used to be my family 's. Now its all been sold off and everything, but we still get good use from it.  One other thing: I like your rifle up there, but believe me when I say the AR-50 is much much sweeter :0

What sort of chopper are you looking for? As long as I don't have to bend over backwards to install ill be happy to help.

Edited by Sandy, 02 January 2008 - 07:06 PM.

#7 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

View PostSandy, on Jan 2 2008, 07:05 PM, said:

like your rifle up there, but believe me when I say the AR-50 is much much sweeter :0
That's the Barrett M107 .50 cal, which is replacing all of the M82-series Barretts.  The Armelite "was" a good weapon, but it's been replaced many, many times.  The best one going today -- even better than the Barrett models -- is the McMillan TAC-50.  That's what the Canadian sniper used in Afghanistan when he broke the 35-year record held by G/Sgt Carlos Hathcock (USMC); the TAC-50 hit a target at 2,430m, besting Hathcock's 2,250m shot.  Of course, the Canadian sniper DID use the US .50 cal rounds instead of the Canadian .50 cal rounds.  :censored:  :lol:

View PostSandy, on Jan 2 2008, 07:05 PM, said:

What sort of chopper are you looking for? As long as I don't have to bend over backwards to install ill be happy to help.
Only need the AH-64 and UH-1 -- not flyable models, static .mdl's of both birds with US Army/US Marines paints for both, + US Air Force paint for the UH-1.  I'm not even going to try to find a static model of the L-19 (Cessna 170 in Army paint); THAT would be asking for too much.  :lol:

#8 Awesumus Pwntius

Awesumus Pwntius

Commercial Pilot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

Sarge what do you think I do in the Marines? Im very VERY friendly with the M107. Shes a shweet rifle. I like her myself. Little too much of a pull on her but thats ok. With a caliber that large 2.5 lbs of pressure is perfect.

I prefer the Armalite AR-30 chambered in a .338 LM. Beautiful rifle, fires way out there...Ive made 1500 yard shots easy with that thing, just make sure you keep the brake on it, thats one :lol: of a kick. a US Optics SN-3 does the trick nicely, so do Night Force scopes, but oh well...beggars cannot be choosers.

Anyways...just let me know when you want someone to test out ...like I said, spell it out for me exactly what you want and shell be done.

#9 tailspin

tailspin

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Is this for FSX or FS2004?

#10 Immelmann

Immelmann

Passenger

• New Members