1 reply to this topic

#1 PiP

PiP

Cruising at FL140

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,896 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

I took Fon up on their offer of a free router last year, and I never got round to using it. So yesterday I set about finally flashing it with some decent firmware, I chose ddWRT.

This it the procedure I used, the only one I've found which works: http://www.dd-wrt.co...ftware_Flashing (this guide for the La Fonera router ONLY)
Not surprising it works, it's actually ddWRT's guide.

I decided to take some screenshots, so you can all see how great it is:

This is the page you see before you log in to the setup pages, a basic overview of the status.
Posted Image

This is the access control area, note the ability to block all P2P traffic, although it would still be possible to tunnel out.
Posted Image

The usual way of backing up and restoring the settings.
Posted Image

Ability to be a hotspot, these services come with basic web access to the settings too.
Posted Image

LAN status.
Posted Image

Quality of Service settings, note how you can control the access of LAN and WLAN users.
Posted Image

Status of the router itself, CPU use etc.
Posted Image

You can schedule the router to reboot itself.
Posted Image

You can adjust the transmit power (won't help you receive), enable compatibility with wireless g optimisations, choose which antenna does what (The Fonera only has one aerial, that might change soon).
Posted Image

Future firmware upgrades are easy, just like a normal router.
Posted Image

You can send the Magic Packet to PCs on your network.
Posted Image

You can have the set-up pages accessed through HTTPS, turn routing off to use the router as an access point, you can overclock some routers, and change the skin of the set-up pages,
Posted Image

A plethora of WLAN security, including Radius.
Posted Image

Wireless status.
Posted Image

There is an optimisation for your XBOX, and you can have the "EZ-Secure" button (if your router has one) act as a toggle to turn WiFi on and off.
Posted Image

There are downsides though, my Fonera now takes over a minute to boot up, and it's NOT easy to flash a router with this, you need  (to flash a Fonera):
>To understand the Linux command line, particularly how to use "vi".
>An SSH client.
>A TFTP server (NOT FTP).
>An HTTP, or FTP server.
>And about one hour.

Although Buffalo do routers with ddWRT firmware pre-installed.

#2 Nabeel.

Nabeel.

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:21 PM

I flashed my Linksys with ddwrt a while back, haven't rebooted in 5 months :lol:
Great piece of software...