17 replies to this topic

#1 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hi Guys, What software do i need to create scenery and airports and stuff like that?

Need some help and i wan't to have a go at creating Gran Canaria!

#2 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

Hi Guys, What software do i need to create scenery and airports and stuff like that?
1.  To create new (or modify existing) airports, you need AFCAD v2.21 by Lee Swordy.

AFCAD deals with the "invisible" ATC data such as runways, taxiways, apron routes, parking spaces, NAVAIDS, and comm frequencies

2.  To create exclusion zones, you need ExcBuilder or SBuilder or write your own XML and compile it with bglcomp_sdk.

Exclusions remove default FS9 buildings, trees, taxiway signs, windsocks, refuel points, etc.

3.  To create flatten zones, you need FSTFlatten or write your own SCM and compile it with SCASM.

Flattens manipulate airport elevations when your airport mods exceed the existing boundaries of the default airport, or you create a new airport somewhere that the terrain is not a uniform elevation.

4.  To place default FS9 scenery objects, you need EZ-Scenery (payware) or write your own XML and compile it with bglcomp_sdk.

The bglcomp_sdk includes an Excel spreadsheet that lists the various default objects in FS9 that you can use.

5.  To place 3rd party scenery objects, you need EZ-Scenery (payware) or Rwy12 (freeware) or write your own XML and compile it.

Several freeware libraries are available in the AVSIM file library for both programs.

6.  To create new 3D scenery objects, you need GMAX (freeware) or FSDS v3.5 (payware).

You can export your designs as .mdl objects, which can be compiled into a library and placed with EZ-Scenery, Rwy12, or your own XML.

7.  To mainpulate terrain, you need programs like EZ-Landclass, Ground2k4, SBuilder or similar programs.

All three are freeware; a google search will bring up sites from which you can download them.

8.  To create new runway/taxiway signs, you will need CreatSign (freeware).

It is available from the AVSIM file library.

There are other programs (both freeware and payware) that you may need, depending on the extent of your design.  AFX is a fairly new program (payware) that incorporates the AFCAD v2.21 approach to airport design and the CreatSign ability to make new runway/taxiway signs.  Be ready to invest a LOT of time, however; airport design/modification is not a "see it, do it" project.  Each program you will use will have a learning curve, and some can be pretty steep.

#3 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

View Postsarge, on Nov 29 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

1.  To create new (or modify existing) airports, you need AFCAD v2.21 by Lee Swordy.

AFCAD deals with the "invisible" ATC data such as runways, taxiways, apron routes, parking spaces, NAVAIDS, and comm frequencies

2.  To create exclusion zones, you need ExcBuilder or SBuilder or write your own XML and compile it with bglcomp_sdk.

Exclusions remove default FS9 buildings, trees, taxiway signs, windsocks, refuel points, etc.

3.  To create flatten zones, you need FSTFlatten or write your own SCM and compile it with SCASM.

Flattens manipulate airport elevations when your airport mods exceed the existing boundaries of the default airport, or you create a new airport somewhere that the terrain is not a uniform elevation.

4.  To place default FS9 scenery objects, you need EZ-Scenery (payware) or write your own XML and compile it with bglcomp_sdk.

The bglcomp_sdk includes an Excel spreadsheet that lists the various default objects in FS9 that you can use.

5.  To place 3rd party scenery objects, you need EZ-Scenery (payware) or Rwy12 (freeware) or write your own XML and compile it.

Several freeware libraries are available in the AVSIM file library for both programs.

6.  To create new 3D scenery objects, you need GMAX (freeware) or FSDS v3.5 (payware).

You can export your designs as .mdl objects, which can be compiled into a library and placed with EZ-Scenery, Rwy12, or your own XML.

7.  To mainpulate terrain, you need programs like EZ-Landclass, Ground2k4, SBuilder or similar programs.

All three are freeware; a google search will bring up sites from which you can download them.

8.  To create new runway/taxiway signs, you will need CreatSign (freeware).

It is available from the AVSIM file library.

There are other programs (both freeware and payware) that you may need, depending on the extent of your design.  AFX is a fairly new program (payware) that incorporates the AFCAD v2.21 approach to airport design and the CreatSign ability to make new runway/taxiway signs.  Be ready to invest a LOT of time, however; airport design/modification is not a "see it, do it" project.  Each program you will use will have a learning curve, and some can be pretty steep.

Thanks firstly too get use to creating airport i wan't a go at Heathrow terminal 5 area and do that and then create terminal 5 and learn the basics then create the  GCLP airport.

What do you think?

#4 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 12:45 PM, said:

Thanks firstly too get use to creating airport i wan't a go at Heathrow terminal 5 area and do that and then create terminal 5 and learn the basics then create the  GCLP airport.

What do you think?
If all you want to do at Heathrow is create terminal 5, your work will be much smaller.

1.  Does the existing ramp area meet the needs for placing the new terminal building? or are you going to have to add ramp space?  If you need to add ramp space, you'll need AFCAD v2.21; you'll also have to use it to add the ramp routes and parking spaces for the new terminal building.

Adding a terminal to an existing airport means that you will need parking spots at that terminal, and ramp routes to connect the parking spots to taxiways; plus you will need to identify the airline codes that will be able to park at each spot.

2.  Are you going to use a default FS9 building for the terminal? or do you want to create a new building?

If you're going to use default, you will need one of the scenery object placement programs.  If you're going to create a new building, then you'll need either GMAX or FSDS v3.5 to design, texture, and export the object into the .mdl format so you can use one of the scenery object placement programs to put it in the scenery.  The same process holds true if you plan to add jetways to the terminal building.

Start with AFCAD and play around with it until you're familiar enough to make the changes/additions you want to make.  By the end of that exercise, you'll know if you still want to tackle object making and scenery object placement.

#5 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

View Postsarge, on Nov 29 2007, 06:02 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 12:45 PM, said:

What do you think?
If all you want to do at Heathrow is create terminal 5, your work will be much smaller.

1.  Does the existing ramp area meet the needs for placing the new terminal building? or are you going to have to add ramp space?  If you need to add ramp space, you'll need AFCAD v2.21; you'll also have to use it to add the ramp routes and parking spaces for the new terminal building.

Adding a terminal to an existing airport means that you will need parking spots at that terminal, and ramp routes to connect the parking spots to taxiways; plus you will need to identify the airline codes that will be able to park at each spot.

2.  Are you going to use a default FS9 building for the terminal? or do you want to create a new building?

If you're going to use default, you will need one of the scenery object placement programs.  If you're going to create a new building, then you'll need either GMAX or FSDS v3.5 to design, texture, and export the object into the .mdl format so you can use one of the scenery object placement programs to put it in the scenery.  The same process holds true if you plan to add jetways to the terminal building.

Start with AFCAD and play around with it until you're familiar enough to make the changes/additions you want to make.  By the end of that exercise, you'll know if you still want to tackle object making and scenery object placement.

I decided to do the Heathrow T5 area becauase it is small i will post a image of it later, It's consiting of the Big main building and the satellites with gates.

I will also want to Include the new tower/control tower, the T5 area consist of 90-110ftagl so it's got to be flattened out!

Just been looking at it but need to find it so you can view it!

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 29 November 2007 - 02:14 PM.

#6 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 02:11 PM, said:

I will also want to Include the new tower/control tower,
That means you're going to have to make it.  The one in FS9 is from the 2004 period, and I don't recall seeing any object libraries that contain the new tower.  For that part of the project, you will need GMAX (freeware) or FSDS 3.5 (payware); the tutorials for both are good, but the learning curve is gonna be steep.

the T5 area consist of 90-110ftagl so it's got to be flattened out!
That's going to be a problem for you.  FS9 does not have the capability to present the airport area with different terrain elevations.  The elevation of the runways, taxiways, and parking ramps are going to be taken directly from the general elevation specified for the airport reference point (the pink dot in the AFCAD).  To make that, you would need to build the entire airport in GMAX (PM/email TechnicolorYawn for advice doing that if you choose to go that route).  If the airport reference point shows an elevation of 110ft, then any runway, taxiway and/or ramp area you put in is also going to be at 110ft elevation.  If you make a ramp that is 90ft, as you taxi from one part of the 110ft ramp to the 90ft ramp, the aircraft will drop and "thud" that 20ft, and "bounce" going from 90ft to 110ft.  If the user has crash effect turned on, he/she will likely get notified of gear damage.  Same effect if you create a flatten to change part of the elevation from 110ft to 90ft ......

#7 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

View Postsarge, on Nov 29 2007, 09:29 PM, said:

I will also want to Include the new tower/control tower,
That means you're going to have to make it.  The one in FS9 is from the 2004 period, and I don't recall seeing any object libraries that contain the new tower.  For that part of the project, you will need GMAX (freeware) or FSDS 3.5 (payware); the tutorials for both are good, but the learning curve is gonna be steep.

the T5 area consist of 90-110ftagl so it's got to be flattened out!
That's going to be a problem for you.  FS9 does not have the capability to present the airport area with different terrain elevations.  The elevation of the runways, taxiways, and parking ramps are going to be taken directly from the general elevation specified for the airport reference point (the pink dot in the AFCAD).  To make that, you would need to build the entire airport in GMAX (PM/email TechnicolorYawn for advice doing that if you choose to go that route).  If the airport reference point shows an elevation of 110ft, then any runway, taxiway and/or ramp area you put in is also going to be at 110ft elevation.  If you make a ramp that is 90ft, as you taxi from one part of the 110ft ramp to the 90ft ramp, the aircraft will drop and "thud" that 20ft, and "bounce" going from 90ft to 110ft.  If the user has crash effect turned on, he/she will likely get notified of gear damage.  Same effect if you create a flatten to change part of the elevation from 110ft to 90ft ......

The T5 area was/is a waste land now flattened over nice and smooth!

The Map of the New Heathrow!

IDK but i think that on avsim there is an add-on EGLL New Tower!

I Seriously would like some help on making this the best Heathrow Freeware out there

Lovely !

In real Life the whole airfield has different height, I was thinking what you said and that the whole land is the same height!

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 29 November 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#8 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 29 2007, 05:30 PM, said:

Pete Davies has a new AFCAD for EGLL which includes the parking spaces for Terminal 5, but I didn't see anything about a new terminal building w/jetways or a new tower.  Matthew Ministry's heathrow_building_works.zip file boasts a lot of new buildings to enhance the default Heathrow, but I didn't see anything in there about Terminal 5 or a new tower.  His heathrow2008.zip reportedly has Terminal 5 and the new tower, but even Matt says it's just a 7-hr project he threw together and isn't intended to compete with payware/experienced freeware designs.

I Seriously would like some help on making this the best Heathrow Freeware out there
There should be enough folks around the forums to give you some assistance.  I would, but I'm currently tied up with the Ft Rucker aviation training complex in Alabama, Reese AFB Texas, Plattsburgh AFB New York, McClellan AFB/Sacramento ALC California, Cannon AFB New Mexico, and Moron AB Spain.

In real Life the whole airfield has different height, I was thinking what you said and that the whole land is the same height!
Unfortunately, FS9 can't duplicate that real-life part of the flying experience.  And, from what I've been able to learn about it, neither can FSX.

#9 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:49 AM

View Postsarge, on Nov 30 2007, 04:25 AM, said:

Pete Davies has a new AFCAD for EGLL which includes the parking spaces for Terminal 5, but I didn't see anything about a new terminal building w/jetways or a new tower.  Matthew Ministry's heathrow_building_works.zip file boasts a lot of new buildings to enhance the default Heathrow, but I didn't see anything in there about Terminal 5 or a new tower.  His heathrow2008.zip reportedly has Terminal 5 and the new tower, but even Matt says it's just a 7-hr project he threw together and isn't intended to compete with payware/experienced freeware designs.

I okey will have a go at creating that my self then becuase i would get done for Workarisim lol!

There should be enough folks around the forums to give you some assistance.  I would, but I'm currently tied up with the Ft Rucker aviation training complex in Alabama, Reese AFB Texas, Plattsburgh AFB New York, McClellan AFB/Sacramento ALC California, Cannon AFB New Mexico, and Moron AB Spain.

Okey, I just ask what things and how to do some stuff that i don't know how to do!

Unfortunately, FS9 can't duplicate that real-life part of the flying experience.  And, from what I've been able to learn about it, neither can FSX.

Ah rite so i should not have a problem with creating taxiways and co, How do i get Real ground textures for the taxiway and runway and Grass that won't hit frames too much!

Edited by Heathrow Airport, 30 November 2007 - 08:49 AM.

#10 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 30 2007, 08:49 AM, said:

How do i get Real ground textures for the taxiway and runway and Grass that won't hit frames too much!
AFCAD uses the default textures for runway, taxiways, and parking aprons.  You can find upgraded sets (like the Airport Environment Upgrade package), but keep in mind that whatever you change in the default textures will be changed at every airport in the FS9 world.  If you change the taxiway texture (for example) for a more realistic Heathrow taxiway texture, every airport in FS9 that uses that particular default texture will now be using the new Heathrow texture.  If you change the grass texture, you are changing it world-wide.

#11 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

Ahh So how can i just change it for Heathrow?

?

This is something i have already started, On paper i have drawn up the taxi's and aprons!

#12 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 30 2007, 11:20 AM, said:

You would have to create a scenery object -- a ground polygon -- in GMAX and texturize it, then export it in .mdl format and place it as you would any other scenery object with a scenery placement program such as EZ-Scenery, Rwy12, SBuilder, or other similar program.

(Remember my admonishment earlier -- scenery design is not a "see it, do it" project.  :lol:   There are some programs you are going to have knuckle down and learn if you want to do it right.)

#13 G-BOAC

G-BOAC

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:14 AM

View Postsarge, on Nov 30 2007, 07:31 PM, said:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Nov 30 2007, 11:20 AM, said:

You would have to create a scenery object -- a ground polygon -- in GMAX and texturize it, then export it in .mdl format and place it as you would any other scenery object with a scenery placement program such as EZ-Scenery, Rwy12, SBuilder, or other similar program.

(Remember my admonishment earlier -- scenery design is not a "see it, do it" project.  :lol:   There are some programs you are going to have knuckle down and learn if you want to do it right.)

As long as i don't get gray hair like some scenery designers! :censored: :lol: :hilarious: :lol: :lol:    

:pointnlaf: :pointnlaf:  

Stress is not what i want. :lol:

#14 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Dec 1 2007, 03:14 AM, said:

As long as i don't get gray hair like some scenery designers! :lol: :censored: :lol: :hilarious: :lol:
Oh, THAT WILL happen; you can bank on it!  :lol:

View PostHeathrow Airport, on Dec 1 2007, 03:14 AM, said:

Stress is not what i want. :pointnlaf:
Well, MSFS scenery design has a LOT of it to give .... the best you can hope for is that you don't get any more than your fair share!  :pointnlaf:

#15 Jebus

Jebus

formerly xAndyy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

Project 63 - Design worlds greatest freeware LHR scenery.

Oh and, whats your obession with BA and heathrow?

#16 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

View PostAndreas., on Dec 1 2007, 05:13 PM, said:

What's that? and where is it?  Nothing on google or AVSIM.

Oh and, whats your obession with BA and heathrow?
He wants to practice on Heathrow before tackling GCLP (Gran Canaria Airport).

#17 Jebus

Jebus

formerly xAndyy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

View Postsarge, on Dec 2 2007, 03:06 AM, said:

What's that? and where is it?  Nothing on google or AVSIM.
Sarge,

Over the time in which you've been inactive (I believe) he has started numerous projects (that never finished) and everyone lost count, so we started at about 60 a few weeks back.

#18 IBtheSarge

IBtheSarge

First Class Member

• 10,718 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

View PostAndreas., on Dec 2 2007, 10:48 AM, said:

Over the time in which you've been inactive (I believe) he has started numerous projects (that never finished) and everyone lost count, so we started at about 60 a few weeks back.
Ah, so THAT'S why nothing came up on searches.  :lol:   Inactive?  Yeah, dive trips half-way around the world does that to ya!  :lol: