#1 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

As requested, here it is.

First let me say that this is by no means the only way to produce a photoreal paint. There are alot of different ways to make them, but this is the way that I taught myself and the way that I will write a tut for.

I would also like to say, that unless your painting for hire (which is rare) Please, ALWAYS paint to your own satisfaction, not anybody else's. Its a very fun hobby that I enjoy very much but when you try to paint to what other people want, its a problem.

Lastly, This tut is for repainters who already know the basices of painting, and how to get a plane inside FS. I did not include how to  add my own effects, I simply show my way of getting the base coat of the photoreal aspect of it on. (if that made any sense)

Well lets get started then shall we?

First decide what plane you want to paint, and the livery. I chose an Air Canada 767-300ER.

So the first thing we need to do is gather a paintkit, and photos of the plane. Try to pic photos of the nose and the nose and the tail. these are the two I chose.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also if the titles of the plane are too small to put on the plane, then get them from a different picture / plane. I used an a340 nose with large clear titles.

Posted Image

And now to start with the painting! I normaly start off first with the tail. Use the polygon laso tool to get around it, and the copy it.

Posted Image

Make sure you are on the "paint here" layer in PS. Do this by pressing "F7" and double checking your layer. when you paste the picture into the PS image, warp it and contort it so that it fits like this

Posted Image

Now that we have the tail done, lets get on with the fuse. Start the fuse with the nose. Get the laso around the nose so that it looks like this.

Posted Image

Now copy that and paste it into PS.

AHHH!

Posted Image

Muaha, Not to worry, just press CTRL + T to resize it to the approximate nose specifications of the paintkit.

After you do that you should have something like this

Posted Image

If you notice, there is still some problems with it. One problem is the shine, another problem is the area where the cockpit was is just white. So we fix those problems like this..

The shine is an easy fix, just press F7 and find the shine layer, and decreace the opacity down to your own desirable level.

When you are done with that, use the smuge tool to smuge the colors around the cockpit so that they look uniform. The process I use for this is to smuge it with a 10 pxl brush at 100% till the area is covered.

After this is done. You should have a se nose. Smuge over the windows and doors in the selected area, and if you want, the half of an Air Canada logo..And you will get something like this.

Posted Image

Ok, at this point i Cheat a little. I take a chunk of the already photoreal section and copy it all the way down the fuse, like this

Posted Image

Alright, now i think that the fuse is a bit dark, so I will change the curves and brightness of it, but thats an easy part.

Now if you have completed most of the fuselage, you can merge the layers that you have completed on the fuselage. Copy a box about the size of the remaining length of the plane and past it towards the end like so.

Posted Image

Now This part is tricky. try to use the warp tool and warp the reflection like so that it goes up over the horizontal stabalizer, then back down to the end of the tail. Should look like this:

Posted Image

Alright. lets try to get the shadow lined up.Do this by merging the layers and smuging them together.

Posted Image

Now, We need to merge the tail shadow. This is easily done. Create a new layer and name it Shadowing. Then just use a Medium size paint brush (size 40-45) and brish along the end till you get something like this.

Posted Image

Then we need to add logos. First I add the airline titles, cut them out of the photo, then past them and warp them into their right size on the PS file, such as this.

Posted Image

Now warp It and transform it untill it looks correct. I always find this a bit difficult so I'm settling with this.

Posted Image

Now add the Reg

Posted Image

And in a nutshell, your done!

Posted Image

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me!

I would also like to say that different paint schemes require different approaches to painting. This is the approach I use to  basic paint schemes. Obviously, for the special paints I did ( eg, Lord of the Rings, Hibisicus, Haliconia, etc) a different approach is needed, and If i have a few hours I will sit down and create a tut on Haliconia if I get enough requests for it...

Hope to have helped,
Chris Hatcher

#2 lambo8

lambo8

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

Awesome, but what about wings? or the top of the plane? Surely even if you duplicate the photoreal part, flip it over and put it on the bottom it will look very odd.

Good tut but its only really any good if you only ever want to look at the side of the plane in the sim... Even then the wings will be plain.

#3 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:45 PM

:lol: :lol: thanks for that! also, one more thing, is there any way of getting photoreal dirt? :censored: and also, do we flip the image by copying and pasting and using free transform?

Thanks a lot again!

#4 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

i normaly just put my own dirt on the wings, never a photoreal wing i'm way to lazy to do that. and the photoreal dirt only really comes if your using a plane thats is dirty...and i do the same thing with the engines, just use a photoreal engine.

also for the flip side i just leave everything in layers and just flip them horizontaly.

Like i said guys, this was just something I threw together in 30 minutes...i might sit down and put together a whole one which will make more sense...

#5 Ernesto_182

Ernesto_182

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

And how do you do the other side??

Nice tutorial!! ill try with it :lol:

#6 WingedWolf

WingedWolf

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:24 PM

Men saw as the thing in the sim!! :lol:

#7 Leon.Yan

Leon.Yan

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:30 AM

After i read it.    I have to make one for me .

#8 Boy van de Laar

Boy van de Laar

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

This is not what i call painting, more of a copy of paste job. I like the effect though!

#9 Guest_ĆסּĐзΥ_*

Guest_ĆסּĐзΥ_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

You bumped the topic just to say that? :hrmm:

#10 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

A346 nose? 747 Nose xD

Nice tutorial!

#11 JAI777W

JAI777W

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:18 AM

View PostBoy van de Laar, on Jan 9 2009, 11:51 AM, said:

This is not what i call painting, more of a copy of paste job. I like the effect though!

Yep, more of a 'I take this little piece here, and put it there', than actually creating something for yourself. But like Boy also says : It looks good nonetheless!

#12 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

Your right this isnt really painting. This was requested to me specifically by a couple of people, so I just did it as a favour.