98 replies to this topic

#81 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

why do you post useless questions? he didn't even say what problem he had... and it doesn't matter.

do you realize that by trying to get microsoft to make something better... it will benefit you as well?

#82 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

View Postjcovelli, on Feb 4 2008, 12:01 PM, said:

why do you post useless questions? he didn't even say what problem he had... and it doesn't matter.

do you realize that by trying to get microsoft to make something better... it will benefit you as well?

Don`t think I need your permission, and never will do.....

Reider

#83 danielisaiah

danielisaiah

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

All –

This thread is going nowhere. Let's all agree that there are flaws in FSX and accept the fact that it is what it is and we can't change it. When I first posted to these forums, I was pissed that I had so many problems with DX10 and that the promises from MS fell short. But as a Software Engineering Project Manager in my professional life, and after looking at the big picture, I have cooled down my rhetoric……you should do the same Jcovelli. You have some really good points….but the purpose here on these forums is to find solutions to your FS issues. YES we all agree that Bill Gate$ should have never said FSX would be a DX10 showcase. But c'mon…. Bill was trying to hype his company's new API at the time….and the future was bright. We ALL would have done the same.

I think what Bill and MS thought was that everyone would jump on the DX10 bandwagon. Well we all knew that wasn't the case. Vista was a slow seller, and people have been slow to transition to it from XP. Nvidia and ATI hardware were bleeding edge brand new at the time....and even to this day their DX10 drivers are just entering maturity…and not because they are trying to make FSX look better (see below). Other Game Developers were already locked into DX9 and didn't want to delay their scheduled releases by adding DX10 features. The only real game pushing DX10 (as a showcase) was CRYSIS….and the last time I checked, that game was probably outselling FSX 20-1.

And that's what it all really comes down to. CA$$$H money.

For what FSX is…..and I think it's more GOOD than bad, I think that the ACES team was constrained by too many issues. Multiple OS functionality, Multiple direct X compatibility…plus all the new enhancements…..the scope was to far reaching. Considering this, and the fact that Phil came on after the requirements were set, ACES has given us a pretty cool Sim. Navigating all those issues and even getting something out was victory (in my book at least) in itself. And let's also take into account that Phil comes in here and tries to communicate what's really going on.

SO you either have to live with FSX or not. I think it looks and feels better than FS9 in many ways…but there WILL NOT be another patch….the number$ just don't add up for it.

ACES will have a much better opportunity to shine on FS11 because these constraints will not be in place. With a new engine, a bigger team…. There will be no confusion about the requirements and scope changing. I think they will give us the “Next Level" of flight simulation. I will expect excellence….but not perfection….that bar will always be infinitely too high.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to learn how to fly. That's why I bought FSX. As an aspiring pilot, FSX is a wonderful tool….I can't think of a better one! (well, at least cost wise…..)

just my 2 cents

#84 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

ok.. i sort of agree with that.

but FOR ME (opinion here) i like good quality products that do what they say the do, and are what they say they are. and (fact) FSX is just not good quality at all. (but for some reason people just accept it)

and i think this is a pretty good thread, at least for the people that actually add something to it...  because:

how many years will it be before FS 11 comes out? so in the mean time.. give us a good product.. FSX

#85 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:29 PM

View Postreider, on Feb 4 2008, 10:06 AM, said:

View Postjcovelli, on Feb 4 2008, 12:01 PM, said:

Don`t think I need your permission, and never will do.....

Reider
Wanna know my main problem that I still have after resintalling acceleration? I still have invisible textures on 3 planes after installing acceleration, and it still takes me 20 tries to get on to and stay on multiplayer. You may think FSX is wonderful and there are no issues, but most everyone else thinks it has bugs, and there always will be bugs in FS. So please sthu and leave me alone. And I love how you go finding just the right quote. And it didn't in fact fix every single issues, but enough that I could fly multiplayer. if you have a problem with me, you take it up with me.

#86 danielisaiah

danielisaiah

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

how many years will it be before FS 11 comes out? so in the mean time.. give us a good product.. FSX

I would say Christmas 2009. so pretty much two years from now...makes sense considering the FS release pattern.....who really knows maybe a little sooner or later....I doubt sooner though. And I expect at that point it will be a DX10(or above) only app and only onVista..I cant see it any other way. I think we really will see an amazing jump in realism, control, ATC......all of it. But again, the FSX product cycle is OVER. FSX is as good as its going to get. only 3rd party addons will make it better.....Microsoft has moved on to FS11.

FSX is just not good quality at all (but for some reason people just accept it)

I wouldn't go so far as that. It all depends on your idea of quality. I personally have gotten a lot out of it. And with controllers and some software i'm getting a lot more out of it.

I think people except it because its the best we have out there. X-plane is just not quite there....Unless you want to pay big $$$$ to sit in REAL simulator, I think MSFS is the best option considering its content.

#87 rsperge

rsperge

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

one more final statememnt, yes = flaws and bugs with fsx
yes =many of us are dissapointed with performance and issues.
yes = could customer service bettter, absolutey.  It seems that fsx is done, and Microsoft {Aces} has moved on to next fsim fs11.  

so what do we all do??? complain, complain, complain,  
or
help out each other to resolve as many issues as possible = yes.

to sum it all up, I thought Microsft and Aces, could have done a better job definitelyand absolutely.  Unless you have a pretty new rig, powerful computer and gpu, you are very likely to be having issues with fsx, and no matter how much you tweek, somethings will never change.

So what is the utlimate outcomes, if we are left with a product that many of us had high expectations of dx10 and so forth?
and yes I do remember all the hype about dx10!!!!!

You just have to say to yourself, this is the way it is, and hopefully Aces will come to the table and rise to the occassion and give us a product, with much less headaches, next time around.

Mean time fsx/acceleration I use, fs9 on the desk.
is fsx better than fs9? Yes

#88 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Its just a pity they made such a b-**-x of it all, the potential is huge, looks and flies great if you can run it, uh, what %age of users can run it ? Its not even stocked in my local stores anymore... Ya gotta wonder about whether they should leave this kinda thing to others who can focus better on their products. It feels like the beancounters said, "lets do another flightsim version, yeah, go tell them Aces to spew out somethin for the market, we'll deal with the whingeing git customers some other time, we'll sell em a whole new package in 2 years time to make em feel better".

#89 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

yep, i agree.

i want something to be done with FSX now.. it does have a few good things, but the underlaying problems way outweigh anything good about it.  

and, i'm still disappointed it doesn't have any updates over fs9 (atc, flight planner, 3D autogen, volumetric clouds, realistic lighting, better ai, new or updated gps and map functions)

instead they chose to work on the one thing most people don't care about (this is where addons come in).. the scenery... and they didn't even get that right.. railroads that end in corn fields. urban textures on the side of a cliff...  

in fact the ai is worse... planes that nose dive onto the end of the runway!!!... are the developers blind?

THIS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND..  just take three months and FIX the bugs.. it can't be that hard. but no, microsoft just says.. well, you're screwed

Edited by jcovelli, 05 February 2008 - 06:21 PM.

#90 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:09 PM

you know what? You're right!

Lets wait another three years for Aces to fix all the bugs in FSX! By that time the graphics will have been LONG outdated.

I use x plane 9 jcovelli, and it is in fact VERY nice, but so is FSX. I am not screwed with it, and haven't had so much as a single problem.

As far as looking better than FS9, look in the screenshots forum at REX and Flight Terrain Experience. Yeah, TONS worse than FS9  :lol:

you want better graphics? TURN YOU SETTINGS UP!!!!!!

FSX on medium high looks NOTHING AT ALL PERIOD like FSX maxed out.

I have seen AI animals OUTSIDE the mission, and the birds never flew in circles for me as you suggest.

I will never play FS9 again simply because FSX looks so much better on my system. Face it, put a default unedited maxed out FS9 picture on any game forum like ign, and prepare to get laughed at.

#91 Peter797

Peter797

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

The reason DX10 sucks now is because only default planes work with DX10 almost every other plane won't work..

#92 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

ok, every single plane I have, freeware and payware, that were DESIGNED for FSX, works in FSX, and I'm running acceleration.

Sorry but that statement is 100% false. If you mean FS9 planes don't work under SP2, then yes thats true, however, I've found almost every plane I want for FSX.

just my 2 cents

#93 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't let me edit my post and I just wanted to add something:

the REASON X plane gets such AMAZING performance is this:

Austin rebuilds the engine for x plane from the ground up every version, and makes sure that the sim will maintain good performance, and yet always have good backwards compatibility with at least the previous version. It isn't a coincidence that I actually get MUCH BETTER graphics AND better performance with X plane V9 over V8, and V9 isn't even out of beta yet!

I think it's a good decision that ACES is going to build FS11 from the ground up, and am also sure it will be for the best.

Edited by CaptainT38, 06 February 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#94 rsperge

rsperge

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

Capt Gabe everyhting you said I fully agree 100%.

Its all about making your budget, and moving on, the consumer is ranked on the bottom of the list.

Aces probably had their hands tied, and certani restraints, and could not do anything more, thus corporate, the beancounters, say we have made our forecasts, and lets move onto the next project which would be the next sim.

#95 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

if only ACES were a seperate company from M$.....

#96 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

View PostCaptainT38, on Feb 6 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

you know what? You're right!

Lets wait another three years for Aces to fix all the bugs in FSX! By that time the graphics will have been LONG outdated.

I use x plane 9 jcovelli, and it is in fact VERY nice, but so is FSX. I am not screwed with it, and haven't had so much as a single problem.

As far as looking better than FS9, look in the screenshots forum at REX and Flight Terrain Experience. Yeah, TONS worse than FS9  :lol:

you want better graphics? TURN YOU SETTINGS UP!!!!!!

FSX on medium high looks NOTHING AT ALL PERIOD like FSX maxed out.

I have seen AI animals OUTSIDE the mission, and the birds never flew in circles for me as you suggest.

I will never play FS9 again simply because FSX looks so much better on my system. Face it, put a default unedited maxed out FS9 picture on any game forum like ign, and prepare to get laughed at.

captainT38... haha on one hand i feel like punching you.. on the other i feel like giving you a hug  

i said three month. not three years.

and in a previous post i said default FSX does look better. in this post i said but they still didn't even get it right.

and why would you tell me look at screenshots for addons? what???

do you like having the same useless flight planner as fs2002?  where are those inland birds flying around fields and/or cross country.

please read.

on the other hand

View PostCaptainT38, on Feb 6 2008, 09:56 PM, said:

if only ACES were a seperate company from M$.....

EXACTLY

and x-plane... yes.. and it's made by a group of five guys... the difference is that they actually care.

Edited by jcovelli, 06 February 2008 - 09:06 PM.

#97 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

3 months IS three years in computer terms  :lol:  just an exaggeration. sorry

The purpose of showing you the add ons was to state while ACES can't get everything perfect default, there are still add on developers who do amazing things with the FSX engine when they dedicate all their time to one particular task. For example, FTX is dedicated to making ultra high-quality textures for various parts of the world for a true VFR flying experience. REX and FEX are dedicated to clouds and water and the like, so they do those things really well. Add ons like vox ATC provide for ultra realistic ATC. Add on AI programs give better AI with airliners from anywhere in the world. The flight planner may be weak, but you can go to a few sites, get the real world route for almost any route you can think of, enter it into www.simroutes.com, download the fightplan file and load it onto FSX. Bam, realistic flight routes. ACES job is to try to do ALL of that the best they can. And mind you, it is very hard to do ALL of these jobs with precision quality in only two years. Thats why austin full release cycles for x plane usually last 3-4 years with many updates in between, however austin doesn't have a parent company telling him what he can and can't do with x plane. If ACES were an independent company, I'd bet that there would certainly not be as many bugs in FSX as there are now.

It's all a matter of doing a little research. It REALLY wasn't that hard for me to find all of these things

Edited by CaptainT38, 06 February 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#98 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

ok.. yes, you can get all these addons. and yes i know about other developers trying to make it better. but it's NOT up to them to make it better.

up until FSX. the Flight Sim series has always been updated with actual things that make the SIM better. it's been a foundation for addon scenery and planes.  if i pay 80 bucks or more for a FLIGHT SIM that i'm going to invest a lot of time and money into.. these essential flight SIM aspects should be there. and they should be updated EVERY TIME a new version comes out. AND these essential things.. is what FS has over X-plane.. microsoft/aces better realize that.

i'm not looking for something perfect.. but a company with an unlimited budget and nearly 3 years to make a product... should not OBVIOUSLY have planes nose diving into the ground... and then a year later they still don't fix it.

#99 CaptainT38

CaptainT38

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

EXACTLY

and x-plane... yes.. and it's made by a group of five guys... the difference is that they actually care

and yet users on x plane continue to whine about how v9 STILL doesn't have actual AI; you still have to download a program, fly a route, and use the program to playback the route which is still kind of like AI, I guess. X plane users have been on austins case about upgrading the ATC for at least the last 3 versions. Only recently did austin finally listen to those begging him for actual scenery, and they STILL don't have seasonal textures.

Laminar Research and ACES both have a list of priorities, however, austins priority list is more flight model/performance based while ACES is usually more scenery based. Users generally chose MSFS or X plane based on which priority list they find more suitable to them IMHO some also like both (like me) depending on what they feel like doing at that particular time

Edited by CaptainT38, 06 February 2008 - 09:31 PM.