#41 sharpshot23

sharpshot23

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi,

Well ive spent the last couple of hours ripping my hair out over FSX(again). I then installed FS9 and had a play around with that but again,the tweaking just takes ages, and ive spent hours and hours in the past couple of years tweaking my flight sims, and to be perfectly honest im sick and tired of it. Ive posted 3 more screens here from today, but I think from now I will put my sims back in their boxes and take (another)break from them. I would just like to say though that I appreciate everybodys help on these forums and thank everyone for trying their hardest to help my problem. Ive just lost interest in it, and I don't want the endless hours tweaking to ruin my life-long dream of flying professionaly by simplygetting annoyed over AA and whatever.

So thank you once again, and I will be back again in the future im sure and I hope this long post will be useful for others.

Simon

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

Listen, we cannot help you if you just say that you spent a lot of time but don't say what you've done.
Tweaks are not that difficult to use and we advised some, but you never confirm what you did, so it's really hard for us to understand what is working and what is not.

From what I can see in your last screenshots, the ground textures in the distance are still a bit blurry. This could be linked to the LOD_RADIUS in the fsx.cfg that is too small, and it could also be linked to the autogen being too dense and consumming too much ressources.
It could also be the TBM and SWTO values that are not suitable for your config, but you didn't describe the values you have tested...

#43 sharpshot23

sharpshot23

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hi,

Well I thought I said each time which settings I had changed and/or tweaks applied and then posted some shots with those new settings .I have done that throughout. I tried changing the LOD Radius through sortof 3-8 but not a great deal was happening. In previous screenshots it should say above them what I had changed or which adviceI had used or whatever. If not I apologise. Im just anoyed that my new system isnt running it very well seeing as it ran Crysis on full settings, seems weird to me. I have also had the nhancer settings on which Valcor posted and i have tried different AA settings from 4x all the way through to 16x and I just cant seem to find any settings that work well together. And on top of that I cant really afford that much in terms of addons so im basically stuck with default scenery. Oh the joys of flight sims :lol:

regards

Simon

#44 CPT_Joske

CPT_Joske

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

View Postsharpshot23, on Feb 18 2008, 10:39 PM, said:

Hi,

Well I thought I said each time which settings I had changed and/or tweaks applied and then posted some shots with those new settings .I have done that throughout. I tried changing the LOD Radius through sortof 3-8 but not a great deal was happening. In previous screenshots it should say above them what I had changed or which adviceI had used or whatever. If not I apologise. Im just anoyed that my new system isnt running it very well seeing as it ran Crysis on full settings, seems weird to me. I have also had the nhancer settings on which Valcor posted and i have tried different AA settings from 4x all the way through to 16x and I just cant seem to find any settings that work well together. And on top of that I cant really afford that much in terms of addons so im basically stuck with default scenery. Oh the joys of flight sims :lol:

regards

Simon

No PC can run FSX at MAX at this moment in time. I have a E6750, 256MB XFX 8600GTS XXX, 4GB 667MHz RAM, not overclocked and i get FSX running at around 50fps over rural areas and 20-25 over cities and towns. I have all sliders set to HIGH (80%), not VERY HIGH (FULL), traffic at 45% (MyTrafficX), rest of the traffic set to 10-15%, Clouds on MAX quality and distance. I sometimes get the odd nano-jerk at low altitudes where theres a sudden drop in frames but its not very common. Im happy with it and can live with it. If i could OC my CPU i would, im sure i'd see more of a gain. I also have a terrain addon aswell.

I saw good gains by putting my frame limit to unlimited. If i lock my frames, i see a 25%-50% decrease in my frame rate. I have done the autogen tweaks, the tree and building cell tweak, set the AA to be run via the gfx and not via app, reduced trees tweak and all service packs installed. I also have FSX running on its own partition on my HDD. Maybe some applications running in the background are slowing your pc down.

I've tested a 768MB 8800 (GTS or ULTRA can't remember now) and it ran slower than my current XFX graphics card at the resolution i play it at. If i up'd the resolution where my gfx card struggled this one ran much better, but definately not worth the extra money.

#45 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

I can run at full.

#46 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

View PostVFRDUDE123, on Feb 20 2008, 10:23 AM, said:

I can run at full.

Only full that can be achieved with FSX at the moment maybe.  It throttles back to the system allegedly, so what you see as full is NOT MAXIMUM.  The machine hasn`t been built to take max, until then it continues to throttle back, no matter what your settings.

Reider

#47 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

I don't get what you mean, do you mean I get blurries, can't see autogen as far, or something like that?

#48 CPT_Joske

CPT_Joske

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

VFRDUDE123 do you have traffic sliders at full aswell?

#49 Capt_Gabe

Capt_Gabe

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

If you do WOAI you can set aircraft traffic sliders at max, the only problem then is having to listen to all the radio chatter and trying to get ATC clearance at busy airports.

#50 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

View PostVFRDUDE123, on Feb 20 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

I don't get what you mean, do you mean I get blurries, can't see autogen as far, or something like that?

No, they were not mentioned at all.  Lets start again.  You may think you`re on full, you may have the sliders looking like full.  They may be showing full.  But, at the end of the day FSX throttles back to the machine capability and it cannot be maxed out with todays technology.  It adjusts itself to suit the system.  You are not seeing everything it can give and do.

Reider

Edited by reider, 20 February 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#51 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

So what's the point of all the sliders then if what you say is true. This is the first time i've ever heard of this. Do you have any links to info on this as it sounds like an interesting read.

#52 Daube

Daube

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:56 AM

There's an additionnal point: If you max out the autogen in FSX, you will reach something like 3 or 4000 trees and building per cell.
However, by tweaking the FSX.cfg, it is possible to push them as far as 6000 each, if I remember well !
EDIT: not to mention the LOD_RADIUS, which is at 4.5 on the max setting in the game, but can be pushed up to 8 or something in the fsx.cfg :lol:

Edited by Daube, 21 February 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#53 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

Yes i now about all of that, but i don't think this is what Reider is talking about.

#54 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

View PostAndydigital, on Feb 21 2008, 07:44 AM, said:

So what's the point of all the sliders then if what you say is true. This is the first time i've ever heard of this. Do you have any links to info on this as it sounds like an interesting read.

The sliders still move to the maximum the machine allows, but not the maximum FSX allows.  It throttles back to suit the machine but is still full (not max).  The original post was by Nick Needham (Nick N) in the Simviation forum, its been mentioned quite a few times.  I performed a seach but only found 1 page at a time on the search terms, I went back 30 pages manually.....still on January 2008.  When he posts it again, no doubt it will happen, I`ll link it unless I find it in the meantime.  Nick is an MS beta tester and does have a close relationship with MS itself, within the industry.

EDIT:  Found one, post #3.....

FSX throttles back

@38FPS, don't tell me its running FSX maxed, because even my experimental systems won't.

You are not maxed out even with every slider at full level and every possible tweak in the FSX.cfg file to increase scenery. Your hardware won't even come close to maxing out FSX.

Reider

Edited by reider, 21 February 2008 - 11:54 AM.

#55 Andydigital

Andydigital

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for that reading it now.

Edited by Andydigital, 21 February 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#56 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

View my album, the first 105 shots are at full settings:
http://s223.photobuc...?albumview=link
At New York, my average FPS was like 8-12
At some place random my FPS was like 35-85 (not joking!)

#57 sharpshot23

sharpshot23

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi everyone,

Well ive just re-ordered XP because Vista is doing my head in to put it politely and so I will install FSX again as soon as Ive got that installed.  I Figured that vista using 1.6GB of my 4GB ram while just sitting there was ridiculous not to mention the other annoying things! So Once XP is installed, and my machine de-clogs its self from the horrible vista, I will get nhancer installed and have another go

regards

Simon

#58 reider

reider

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

Works perfectly well here on Vista 32 bit and 64 bit too.  It keeps certain things in memory all the time for quick use, but releases the memory when its needed elsewhere.  So it looks like its using it and needing it but it isn`t and doesn`t.  Because of an unconnected problem (not FSX) I reinstalled XP Pro for 24 hours with FSX, thats as long as I could last.  Worked perfectly well but better in Vista for me.  I fully understand it goes the other way for some.  The difference was big enough to junk it.

Reider