• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Mr.Carioca

I will take pictures as I go along.

iKettles

Bigwater 760i

I took a close look at the box I picked up. It's the wrong one. I didn't want a bay mount system so it's going back. I think I'll just pickup the parts and put it together myself. I'm open for suggestions.

Bob

#22 Mul.

Mul.

Contributor\First Class Member\Hardware Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,362 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Goodness, you nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw the Thermaltack kit. Glad you're sending it back.

If you want a ready bundle, this is probably your best bet
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835108076

As far as individual parts, I don't have a lot of knowledge on that front. I know the DTek Fuzion is one of the best CPU blocks to go for and the Thermochill PA120's are good radiators as a compromise between low airflow/quiet fans and performance.

#23 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

View PostMul., on Mar 28 2008, 10:51 AM, said:

Goodness, you nearly gave me a heart attack when I saw the Thermaltack kit. Glad you're sending it back.

If you want a ready bundle, this is probably your best bet
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835108076

As far as individual parts, I don't have a lot of knowledge on that front. I know the DTek Fuzion is one of the best CPU blocks to go for and the Thermochill PA120's are good radiators as a compromise between low airflow/quiet fans and performance.

:lol:

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that.

Bob

#24 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

Otherwise, that is quite the setup. Looking forward to see the crazy overclocks and scores that it'll manage :lol:

#25 phantasm

phantasm

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

For pre-fabbed water cooling kits, there is no where better than Petras: http://www.petrastec...com/wacoki.html

As for individual components, A high volume pump, a triple 120mm raditor and a low pressure cpu block if you'll be water cooling your two GTX's as well as the CPU.

#26 bigflyersmallbyer

bigflyersmallbyer

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Nice rig congrats :lol: enjoy!

#27 Sam Millar

Sam Millar

Orville Reincarnate

• Contest Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Scuse' me for asking, but how much did your COSMOS cost? :lol:

#28 diluted

diluted

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

8gb of RAM is overkill. But you already spent a lot on everything else so..

#29 iKettles

iKettles

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

You may want to go for a dual loop if you're cooling your CPU and 2 GTX's. For the CPU loop -
D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block
Laing DDC 1+ Ultra 18W 12VDC Pump
EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2

And for the Dual GTX loop -
EK 8800GTX GPU Block
EK Multioption RES 400 Rev.2
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2/PA120.3

#30 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

View Postdiluted, on Mar 30 2008, 06:03 PM, said:

8gb of RAM is overkill. But you already spent a lot on everything else so..

I use a product called Ram Disk and use some of the Ram as my Swap Drive.

Bob

View PostiKettles, on Mar 30 2008, 06:44 PM, said:

You may want to go for a dual loop if you're cooling your CPU and 2 GTX's. For the CPU loop -
D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2

And for the Dual GTX loop -
EK 8800GTX GPU Block
EK Multioption RES 400 Rev.2
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2/PA120.3

Hay….Thanks. at this point I can use all the advice I can get on this subject.

Bob

#31 Mul.

Mul.

• 15,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

Now that's one mean watercooling setup and really the only way to go about cooling both CPU and Graphics Card well. Excellent if you've got the budget to do so but in a more practical point of view, it makes a lot of sense to dedicate it to the CPU only with an SLI setup. I wouldn't be surprised if having dual loops adds a fair bit of time when maintaining the setup. Furthermore, unless you're trying to squeeze every point out of your system in 3dmark06, the 8800GTX's won't overclock an awful lot better on water.

I suppose for this setup, the key is to keep things cool, allow for some overclocking potential and to avoid a noisy system.

Perhaps go for

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2

Ditch the GPU watercooling loop in favour of
http://www.xoxide.co...-hr03-plus.html
with some low RPM fans.

The one source of noise that you'll certainly want to kill is the nForce 780i northbridge. I'd add it to the loop. There's the slight issue that the southbridge is connected to the northbridge cooler via a heatpipe. What I'd do is either cut the heatpipe leaving the black on top of the southbridge (shouldn't affect it at all) or replace it with something like a HR05 SLI

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835109131

#32 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

View PostKalahari, on Mar 30 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Scuse' me for asking, but how much did your COSMOS cost? :hrmm:

The going price of the CPU is $1,050. U.S. I've seen them a little lower and a little more. I usually get an extra discount on items I buy. I have this thing I do…….I ask for one.
I got it for under $1,000 total.

Some time ago I was told that the worse thing someone can say when your asking for something is NO.  :hrmm:

I'll ask the sales person if they have a return or an open box setting in the back room or something like that. I also try to work with the same sales people all the time. Not to do anything underhanded…but because they will get to know you…..and most of them make a little from each sale. I have had a sales person tell me not to buy something today because it's going on sale very soon.

Bob

#33 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

View PostMul., on Mar 31 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Now that's one mean watercooling setup and really the only way to go about cooling both CPU and Graphics Card well. Excellent if you've got the budget to do so but in a more practical point of view, it makes a lot of sense to dedicate it to the CPU only with an SLI setup. I wouldn't be surprised if having dual loops adds a fair bit of time when maintaining the setup. Furthermore, unless you're trying to squeeze every point out of your system in 3dmark06, the 8800GTX's won't overclock an awful lot better on water.

I suppose for this setup, the key is to keep things cool, allow for some overclocking potential and to avoid a noisy system.

Perhaps go for

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Block
2m Masterkleer 1/2"
Thermochill PA120.2

Ditch the GPU watercooling loop in favour of
http://www.xoxide.co...-hr03-plus.html
with some low RPM fans.

The one source of noise that you'll certainly want to kill is the nForce 780i northbridge. I'd add it to the loop. There's the slight issue that the southbridge is connected to the northbridge cooler via a heatpipe. What I'd do is either cut the heatpipe leaving the black on top of the southbridge (shouldn't affect it at all) or replace it with something like a HR05 SLI

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835109131

Mul  /  iKettles
Thanks for the advice. I thinking about a dual system with the addition of a Cold Can. It's an idea I've been kicking around. Using a large coffee can or plastic container loaded with 3 or 4 feet of tubing and the material used in baby diapers (cut up) to absorb the liquid. It would be like putting the tubing in a block of ice but because of the diaper material holding the cold or frozen water (like a diaper does) nothing to spill.

What I will do, when I start to set up the cooling system is put quick disconnects in line so I can try it later if I want to.  

Bob

#34 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

View PostKalahari, on Mar 30 2008, 05:59 PM, said:

Scuse' me for asking, but how much did your COSMOS cost? :lol:

Sorry I posted the wrong reply to your question.

I purchased it some time ago. I think it was about $150 / $175. I'm not sure.

Bob

#35 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

Rebuild Update

Dry fitting the major components.

I've been told that I spend too much time checking out how things will fit before I start the actual build. What I found out over the years is if I spend the time upfront I avoid big problems down the road.

Now with that said this what went on today.

The Big Water 760i is staying and that is the first major component I started to dry fit.
Now….unless you're a Major Geek you wouldn't noticed or even look at the length in the specs. It turns out that its 3mm longer than the avg. bay mount unit

like a DVD / CD. The fill for the liquid coolant is in the rear. Not a good place in my opinion.
The next item that I'll have to address is the length of the In / Out lines that come
per-attached. They will have to be shortened and a way will have to be found to avoid crossing over the ram slots along with other key elements of the MOBO when the lines are installed.

They go almost 3/4 way across the case.
Posted Image

Keep reading….I have more!!!!!

Now for the mounting of the unit.

It's called a 2 Bay unit but, I think, for the cooler to operate at 100% I'll need three bays.
By trial and error I decided to use the bottom 3. They are just above the hard drive bays. I picked them for air flow reasons. I didn't put power to the unit but if the fan on it runs the same as the others do it will pull in from the top in…and…out the bottom. If it doesn't I'll just change the wires to the fan to make it do that.
This case has six (6) HD bays. I can't see myself using more than two (2). I will leave the top 3 HD bays open. They are just under the cooling unit and use two (2) of the remaining 3 bays for my storage.

Posted Image

Why am I doing that?......Well its back to Air Flow!!!

By having the HD bays open under the cooling system the hot air has some place to go without running into anything. Result better flow better cooling. I'll also add a helper fan to help pull the air through the radiator

The bottom of the bay section has a louvered shelf that I'll have to cut a hole into….again for clear air flow.

Posted Image

One other problem I ran into. The cooler has slots in the sides. They are used when mounting the unit. The problem is that the slots aren't long enough. You can't, in the case I have, push the unit all the way in. I had to cut about ¼ inch off of the edges in the case the unit sits on so it would slide in.    

Not a good job but it works
Posted Image

Slots on the side of the cooling unit

Posted Image

Well thats all for now.

Bob

Edited by Tree Trimmer, 03 April 2008 - 07:12 PM.

#36 HighFlyin

HighFlyin

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

I think WASTE OF MONEY. Dude you knwo that flight simulator doesn't take advantage of SLI and what are you going to do with 8Gbs of RAM. I think thats a bit exsessive.

#37 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

View PostWestjet737, on Apr 3 2008, 06:24 PM, said:

I think WASTE OF MONEY. Dude you knwo that flight simulator doesn't take advantage of SLI and what are you going to do with 8Gbs of RAM. I think thats a bit exsessive.
It's his money, Bob can spend it as he wishes. Who knows, maybe in the future FS will take advantage of SLi. I can only see this rig doing extremely well with just about anything thrown at it.

Nice rebuild. If only you had a P182. It has little holes in the back of the case for a water cooling loop. I don't completely understand how it works, but im sure you would have understood it.

#38 Tree Trimmer

Tree Trimmer

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

View PostWestjet737, on Apr 3 2008, 08:24 PM, said:

:hrmm:
You're the 2nd one that had something to say about the Ram. Do you have a paging file? Is it on your HD? Do you know what is the slowest part in your machine is? Well I don't have a page file on a hard drive. I use a product called RamDisk. Look it up.

JK

Your right.!!!!!  :hrmm:  :lol:

It's my money. :lol:

I don't know were Westjet373 get's the idea that I'll be using a machine like the one I'm rebuilding just for FSX. I do have a life outside of Micro Soft Simms. You know like Cross Word Puzzles and Hang man. Real heavy Stuff!!!! :hrmm:

Bob

BTW

The last time I cleaned house I gave away 2 lap tops and one desk top to kids that couldn't afford them.

Edited by Tree Trimmer, 03 April 2008 - 08:09 PM.

#39 iKettles

iKettles

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:54 AM

View Postlearjet45 aka JK, on Apr 4 2008, 01:48 AM, said:

Nice rebuild. If only you had a P182. It has little holes in the back of the case for a water cooling loop. I don't completely understand how it works, but im sure you would have understood it.
So does the Cosmos :S

#40 learjet45dream

learjet45dream

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

View PostiKettles, on Apr 4 2008, 04:54 AM, said:

View Postlearjet45 aka JK, on Apr 4 2008, 01:48 AM, said:

So does the Cosmos :S
I wasnt aware of that. Now I know.