• 8,910 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

FS Version: Orbiter Space Simulator 060929

Departure: Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Arrival: Kennedy Space Center, Florida

Route: via the International Space Station

Flight Time: 25 hours realtime, about an hour at accelerated time rate
Meteorological Conditions: clear

Description: Orbiter space flight simulator is a fun, realistic way to get your high on space flight and go beyond the limits of the atmosphere. KSC to the ISS is a quick, fun flight that doesn't take too much involvement nor does it take too much time. I used orbiter version 060929 for this, download at http://www.orbitersim.com I also used three addons: HighRes Earth Textures: http://download.orbi...h060504_L10.zip, Delta Glider IV: http://orbiter.danst...x.php?disp=dgIV, and OrbiterSound: http://orbiter.danst...iterSound35.php

You'll have to do a bit of reading if you have no experience with the game, but once you figure it all out it's a great flight. Good luck :lol:

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

That's pretty interesting.  How detailed is the actual flight controls?  Do you control liftoff / landings?

#3 eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

25 hours?  Good grief man...  These shuttles need stronger engines.  It's pretty hard to dock with something moving faster than a bullet.   :lol:

#4 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

oho, the download time is nowhere near as long as I thought! Only 10 minutes on a DSL connection!

I shall fly it!

#5 fs_roadtrain

fs_roadtrain

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

This Looks Awesome. I might get it. Actually I think I will. Is there a multiplayer aspect to the game?

#6 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

View PostBman., on Apr 3 2008, 04:42 PM, said:

That's pretty interesting.  How detailed is the actual flight controls?  Do you control liftoff / landings?
flight controls are extremely detailed...RCS thrusters in space (you can run out of fuel for them), control surfaces within the atmosphere...you can try to achieve orbit and reenter yourself, some addons come with autopilots. the best shuttle addon there is simulates APU, hydraulics, has all the autopilots, etc. there's a NASSP project which probably has more switches and dials than the PMDG 744 does, it models everything found on the apollo spacecraft, so you can fly an extremely realistic flight to the moon and back.

View Posteveningsky339, on Apr 3 2008, 04:53 PM, said:

25 hours?  Good grief man...  These shuttles need stronger engines.  It's pretty hard to dock with something moving faster than a bullet.   :hrmm:
takes an hour with time rate, which I use often :lol: I wouldn't say the shuttle needs stronger engines, it's only putting out 2 million horsepower on liftoff

View PostHscott, on Apr 3 2008, 06:28 PM, said:

This Looks Awesome. I might get it. Actually I think I will. Is there a multiplayer aspect to the game?
nope, people are trying to make multiplayer for it and there are some positive results, but so far no public multiplayer yet

although I do know of a guy that made a VATSIM client...he was never able to use it of course, but he made one :lol:

so what next...should I post a flight to the moon and back? :hrmm:

#7 usnchris

usnchris

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

View PostFlying_Pie, on Apr 3 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

so what next...should I post a flight to the moon and back? :lol:

Can you really do that? I think it would be easier than the ISS, go for it! (Much bigger target!)

#8 Flying_Pie

Flying_Pie

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

View Postcfschris, on Apr 3 2008, 06:54 PM, said:

View PostFlying_Pie, on Apr 3 2008, 07:45 PM, said:

so what next...should I post a flight to the moon and back? :lol:

Can you really do that? I think it would be easier than the ISS, go for it! (Much bigger target!)
yup, every planet and their moons are modelled out to neptune

moon is harder though...lot bigger, but a lot further away, so burn times have to be a lot more precise...plus you have to deal with the gravity from the moon, that makes it a bit tougher

#9 fs_roadtrain

fs_roadtrain

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:29 PM

OMG!!!!!!! Go to the moon! Can you get out and walk around or drive those Rover thingamajigs?

#10 Elukka

Elukka

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Nice flight.

I should probably finally download Orbiter. I just need to find the patience to learn to fly at least the Delta glider.

Edited by Elukka, 05 April 2008 - 03:00 PM.