9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

I know its a bit odd, but I thought I would throw together a tut so that you guys who aren't pilots can learn how to read an approach plate. All approach plates for US airports can be found here!

I'll be using the ILS LOC rwy 14 into KASH for this tut, I know its an off airport but its my airport and I know this approach plate like the back of my hand. This chart can be found here

So lets get started! First off, tune into the ILS. Here, its 109.7, set your course, which is 139, and ID your frequency via the Mores Code ID:   . . . _ . . . . . . .

Posted Image

Now fly the airplane. Look up, make sure your still on course from what your ATC told you. Get ATIS, 125.1, and find the tower freq, 133.2

Posted Image

Once again, fly the plane. Find your DH, which is 400 feet MSL, 200 feet AGL. Also, find out what the LOC DH is. If you don't know, LOC DH is just in case you don't have a glidescope. LOC DH is 360 AGL, so 560 MSL

Posted Image

Fly the plane. Now find you FAF (final approach fix) and time on from your FAF to landing, which can be seen under the airport diagram.

Posted Image

You got it! FLY THE PLANE! Now get your missed approach procedure. In this case, its a climbing right turn direct to CHURN, which happens to be your FAF.

Posted Image

Fly the plane. Last thing we need from our approach plate is how to ID your FAF and make sure you have your course set right (139). In this case, your FAF is an ADF, so just set your ADF to 359. Once again, you need to ident the ADF, and after that you are set.

Posted Image

Theres nothing wrong with going over it again. I hope that you guys use it and enjoy it!

#2 aviatordom

aviatordom

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

cool tutorial!

I've never known how to read an APP plate before!

#3 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Thanks! You should play with them, they can be a lot of fun.

I forgot to add that this goes for ALL approach plates, the difference is that you will be tuning into a VOR which will then give you a from course heading, and DH is just when you pass over the airport, then just enter a normal traffic pattern.

#4 anand

anand

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for this great tutorial, I always wanted to know how to read an approach plate it should really go into the knowlege base !

#5 Bman.

Bman.

First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the tutorial Chris.   I think more real world flight tutorials is what FlightSimForum needs more of.

#6 89-LX

89-LX

Gallery Manager

• First Class Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

Just to add in a quick thing, you wouldn't identify the localizer till you are almost on course to final. You won't get anything but static. I can do a real world, active jepp plate if you would like to add in.

#7 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

I just leave it up and hear it when its on. And I know, Jepp charts kick :lol:. I don't have a scanner and couldn't put any in, but by all means put it on. I just used these because of how clear they were, FS doesnt update approaches so I didn't think it mattered too much, sorry...

Edited by Chris., 10 April 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#8 jetblast787

jetblast787

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

well, reading this has made my approach plate reading a lot better! Is it alright if I request how to read Holding charts, STARS and how to program them into a Boeing FMC? I have real difficulty on this one so I'll appreciated if you do do it :lol:

Edited by Iranair747, 12 April 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#9 SeattlePilot

SeattlePilot

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

Well, that is somewhat correct. You would actually fly to the MHT VOR and fly off of it at a heading of 270 for 10.6 miles. Then you would turn right to a heading of 319. You would fly for a minute on that heading and then turn right to a heading of 004 for one minute. Then you would turn back left to a heading of 184 and watch the localizer come in. Then you fly the correct altitudes in.

#10 Chris.

Chris.

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:24 AM

COA737, this isnt a guide on how to fly this approach plate, this is a guide to how to READ the approach plate, quite a large difference..

If it was how to fly it, your wrong again, you would probably fly vectors from MUGGY then turn left heading 150 to intercept it...not exactly sure where you got anything with flying from the MHT VOR, thats just to give you a 2nd instrument showing your FAF....

EDIT - Iranair, holds are just done around a fix, with an inbound course and an outbound course, not so sure about a 737 or how to program it in, but if an approach has a hold, it will be shown on the plate. The hold here is shown around the final approach fix, its the dotted line that had 319 degrees on the opposite side. Just to note, the dotted line, however, just shows that it is out of the missed approach.

Edited by Chris., 13 April 2008 - 01:32 AM.