#1 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hey Everyone.

I just found this website, and it is very simple to follow. It teaches you how to use Gmax, and is really helpful. I am currently following it, and it is simple.

http://www.gmaxcourse.co.uk/

I'd recommend it if you want to learn Gmax Modelling. It gives good explainations, and keeps things short and simple.

Thanks everyone,
Just thought I'd let you know on my discovery :lol:.

#2 John.

John.

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

Looks good :lol:

It is a shame that I didn't use tools like this when I was learning Gmax. I just fiddled about with things until I found out what they do, Which, what I thought was the best way of learning. Some things stuck in my head, other things didn't and I have to go over them from time to time.

I would recommend tutorials to anyone who is learning how to use a powerful tool like GMAX so all the informations sticks.

Good find :lol:

Steve

#3 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

View Post.Frosty, on May 12 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

Looks good :lol:

It is a shame that I didn't use tools like this when I was learning Gmax. I just fiddled about with things until I found out what they do, Which, what I thought was the best way of learning. Some things stuck in my head, other things didn't and I have to go over them from time to time.

I would recommend tutorials to anyone who is learning how to use a powerful tool like GMAX so all the informations sticks.

Good find :lol:

Steve

Thanks buddy :hrmm:.

Yeah, I often fiddle about with things to learn hehe, but often I learn the basics first, then fiddle around, as it seems to work the best :hrmm:.

Thanks again,
:hrmm:

#4 Katahu

Katahu

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Speaking from experience, Sharkbate and Frosty are correct when it comes to learning Gmax. It's always best to read the tutorials and then mess around with the tools to see how they work. I use to have plenty of side projects beside my main ones just to get a feel of Gmax. Even though my skills pertain to car modeling, the skills that I have learned from experts can also be applied to aircraft modeling. For example, even though poly modeling is mostly used to model difficult curves in a car body, this technique can also be used to model the tough angular surface of say... an F-117 Nighthawk or a Mig-29 Fulcrum. There are plenty of tutorials out there to read. You just have to put your mind into it to understand.

#5 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

View PostKatahu, on May 13 2008, 08:38 AM, said:

Speaking from experience, Sharkbate and Frosty are correct when it comes to learning Gmax. It's always best to read the tutorials and then mess around with the tools to see how they work. I use to have plenty of side projects beside my main ones just to get a feel of Gmax. Even though my skills pertain to car modeling, the skills that I have learned from experts can also be applied to aircraft modeling. For example, even though poly modeling is mostly used to model difficult curves in a car body, this technique can also be used to model the tough angular surface of say... an F-117 Nighthawk or a Mig-29 Fulcrum. There are plenty of tutorials out there to read. You just have to put your mind into it to understand.

Yeah. What I'd recommend is the following:

1) Learn the basics of Gmax, and what each tool does.

2) Try making something simple, so you learn the basics properly and more efficiently.

2) Start a project, that is simple and you can work on for a long time, which will test your basic knowledge of Gmax, and most probrably build up your skills.

Remember:
Try not to follow tutorials all the time. You work at your own style, not someone elses. If you try to copy someone elses modelling style / technique, you'll most probrably find it more difficult and harder than it actually is. (Just like singing).

Remember, all developers have to learn to begin with. It's not simple to begin with, but we all think it's harder than it actually is. Focus, and think of a good reason why you want to learn Gmax, this will build up enthusiasm in your work, so you will learn it much better, faster and easily. (Eg. Plan to develop a new Airbus A350 so you can be famous in the flight sim world, or earn money etc). Have self power and will.

As Frosty probrably knows, aswell as me; we're both programmers (I think he is by his sig hehe), if we don't want to learn it, but try to learn it, it's a complete waste of time. You must be willing to learn it. I tried learning programming 5 years ago, but didn't want to learn it, but forced myself to. It was a complete waste of time. But now, I've put will and enthusiasm into it, and I'm a professional at programming hehe :lol:.

Remember, you'll be a professional at Gmax modelling much sooner than you think.

Thanks,
Hope this helps you out :lol:.
Good luck!

Edited by sharkbate24, 13 May 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#6 winxpro

winxpro

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

chears ill get learning

#7 rabbitweasel

rabbitweasel

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:57 AM

I'll also recommend in addition to use The Stupid Idiot's Guide to starting with gMax. :lol: It offers more aircraft-oriented help. The example is for combat flight simulator but you can still learn a lot from the guide.

Edited by rabbitweasel, 23 May 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#8 sharkbate24

sharkbate24

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

View Postrabbitweasel, on May 23 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

I'll also recommend in addition to use The Stupid Idiot's Guide to starting with gMax. :lol: It offers more aircraft-oriented help. The example is for combat flight simulator but you can still learn a lot from the guide.

Cheers mate, that's very helpful :lol:.