#41 kewlceo

kewlceo

Download Manager\Contributor

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:21 AM

View PostSuper Six Three, on May 23 2008, 10:59 PM, said:

The Macs at my school are horrible. When I was about to finish my 8 page story on war in 6th grade, Word quits unexpectedly.
In other words, MICROSOFT Word quits unexpectedly.  :lol:

That's no reflection on the Mac IMHO.

#42 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

View PostSuper Six Three, on May 24 2008, 01:59 AM, said:

The Macs at my school are horrible. When I was about to finish my 8 page story on war in 6th grade, Word quits unexpectedly. I had do it all over again, but didn't turn it in on time, so I got a ZERO! Most applications in the Macs at my school quit unexpectedly. So my judgment is based from that.
The Macs at your school are probably terrible because...

a.) They're old.
and/or
b.) People with zero respect for technology use them daily.

So I'd say, stick with Windows XP and download a Vista Theme to make it look like you have Vista.
I have the real Vista, which sucks hard, big time. And "making XP look like <operating system>" makes your Windows slow waaay down and look horrible in the process. :hrmm:

Mainly because Micro$oft doesn't appreciate people customizing the OS. :lol:

And I'm really tired of Windows. XP has been out for nearly 7 years now- and Vista certainly isn't an OS I would want to switch to :hrmm:. Look at PCs and look at Macs. Not only does the Mac run substantially faster, but it's far more stable than a retail or hand-built PC.

When choosing between XP and Vista, you have two choices... 1. Old, but stable, and sucky GUI; 2. New, unstable, and nice GUI.

But with a Mac OS X Leopard, it's both stable and visually elegant. Personally, I don't see a single reason to stick with Windows... :lol:... (unless you're like some around-the-clock super-gamer :hrmm:)

Edited by pwn247, 24 May 2008 - 06:58 AM.

#43 Super Six Three

Super Six Three

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

Nobody likes Macs at our school. Safari quits unexpectedly, Notes quits unexpectedly, Garageband quits unexpectedly... too many things.

I talked with one of the Mac nerds in my class, and he said that Mac is designed for buisness and school use, and Windows was designed for video game nerds only and a magnet for viruses. We got into an argument, which made me get into trouble and get sent out of the room.

#44 Bell417

Bell417

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

I know that Macs run the Mac OS faster than PC's run Windows, so you can have a lower spec machine and get equal performance, but what if you want to run Windows on Bootcamp--does it run well, or does it run slow because the Mac has lower specs? I have wondered this for a some time now. It seems to me that it will run windows slow if you have a lower-spec Mac. Then you are back where you started.

#45 -RAMz-

-RAMz-

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:54 AM

You can build your own, but you can't use Leopard! (to the fullest even if you crack it)

Apple has very solid machines, the build quality rivals pc oems...

#46 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

View PostBell417, on May 24 2008, 09:51 AM, said:

I know that Macs run the Mac OS faster than PC's run Windows, so you can have a lower spec machine and get equal performance, but what if you want to run Windows on Bootcamp--does it run well, or does it run slow because the Mac has lower specs? I have wondered this for a some time now. It seems to me that it will run windows slow if you have a lower-spec Mac. Then you are back where you started.
Popular Mechanic's Mac vs PC Article clearly shows that the Mac ran Windows Vista faster than the PC did. And the PC has three times as much RAM. :lol:

It's also a good time to point out that the Mac boots up faster than the PC shuts down.

Edited by pwn247, 24 May 2008 - 10:37 AM.

#47 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

formerly TeleFarsi_Airlines818

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

View Postkewlceo, on May 20 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

Mac now dominates the high-end computer market with a 65% share in sales, and it's with good reason: the goods are top-quality, extremely well thought through, and truly innovative. Leopard beats Vista hands-down, so pairing the best OS with cleverly designed hardware = Mac FTW.

My synopsis: if you're shopping for a high-end computer, go for a Mac.

Agreed. I've used Vista at the store and can say it's complete crap. OSX Leopard after months of use is one of the most easiest, fastest OS's I've come across. It's also reliable. My only gripe is that Safari does crash on some sites repeatedly. But if you're smart, you'll use Firefox, Opera, or any other better browser software.

#48 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

View Postpwn247, on May 24 2008, 11:37 AM, said:

It's also a good time to point out that the Mac boots up faster than the PC shuts down.

Not unless you use the PC's handy dandy power button. :lol:

#49 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

View Post(SH)Iceman, on May 25 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

Yes, and that also causes problems in varying sectors of your hard drive volume.

#50 DJ Iceman

DJ Iceman

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

View PostSwitchFX, on May 25 2008, 10:54 PM, said:

Yes, and that also causes problems in varying sectors of your hard drive volume.

It hasn't yet for me. :hrmm:
That's how I always shut off/restart my computer. :lol:

#51 tropicalfish

tropicalfish

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

View Post(SH)Iceman, on May 25 2008, 09:57 PM, said:

That's a really stupid thing to do... that is to say that you just hold down your power button till it just shuts off.
Or is yours set that when you just push it once the system starts shutting down by itself?

Edited by tropicalfish, 25 May 2008 - 10:04 PM.

#52 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

macs run windows faster because they have a very simple bios that doesn't channel OS code into 12 different channels before the hardware is given instructions....  that's it.

if you want an overpriced, non upgradeable, ugly piece of sh!% .. get a mac

#53 BigSpice1

BigSpice1

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:39 PM

I got me a Mac G5 just because I'm a video editor and I need it for HD stuff(events, sports, wedding, parties etc) and I hate it now, I find the mouse annoying, of course it can be replace but still annoying, the blue tooth is the only thing I like. Other than that Final Cut, Motion and other things that I wanted and made me get a Mac have been useless too me. You can fit more ram, and it was my first computer with quad core and a 24inch display but other than that I stick with Windows.

Like I said the Airport crap thingy they have is VERY useful, but I don't like it's other things.....6 gigs, 500gigs of HDD, quad core, it doesn't crash but it does lag.......firewires give me a lot of problems too, sometimes it gets recognize sometimes it doesn't. HD and Blue Ray production are not fully fixed yet.

In the other hand show a client you are using Final Cut in you editing system's and laptops than it makes good impressions but the whole set up is too expensive. Vista and Sony Vegas is doing it perfect for ME.

Oh one good thing I can say about the Mac's I have is that it makes recording straight from the camera into the laptop live so easy, and I do get drop frames here and there but it does handle those files better than windows.....but thats it.

Than again, my little brother is using one of my iMac's it has iMovie, the cam, the blue tooth and he finds it extremely fun to edit his small movies, taking pics, sticky notes, browsing the net. I don't know, I guess I just don't like Mac at all, it is good looking though.

Edited by BigSpice1, 25 May 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#54 SwitchFX

SwitchFX

• Members
  • 30,764 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:17 PM

View Post(SH)Iceman, on May 25 2008, 07:57 PM, said:

One day you'll be surprised to see a CHKDSK warning, then we'll laugh.. err... I mean we'll then help you. :hrmm:

#55 -Dexter

-Dexter

Supersonic

• Members
  • 20,183 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

View Postjcovelli, on May 25 2008, 11:11 PM, said:

macs run windows faster because they have a very simple bios that doesn't channel OS code into 12 different channels before the hardware is given instructions....  that's it.

if you want an overpriced, non upgradeable, ugly piece of sh!% .. get a mac
The speed in a Mac has nothing to do with BIOS. :lol:

And @ Spice1, thanks for the input :lol:. I'm certainly planning on BootCamping XP alongside Leopard.