Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:46 AM

View Postmhockey21, on Jun 21 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

View PostLeadBalloon, on Jun 21 2008, 12:17 AM, said:

View Postmhockey21, on Jun 21 2008, 01:21 AM, said:

All this really makes me want to switch to FSX, but im worried my PC cant handle it  :lol:

What are you specs mhockey21? - I sure you will get some honest answers as to whether it will handle it or not.

my specs are in

MZN-SLI Deluxe
Athalon X2 6000T
2 8800GT SLI
2GB Dual Channel Ram
500 GB Hard drive
Windows Vista 32-Bit
24" Widescreen Monitor

You will have no worries mhockey21 - You have a better set-up than mine [2.6ghz X2 and 8800gt] and I get beautifully playable frame rates, with stunning visuals, and don't have to compromise much in order to keep it that way.

#82 alex330

alex330

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:53 AM

View PostPeter Wilding, on Jun 21 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

A nice soft look. Yes, you mentioned you like the softer look. I'm glad you like what you are seeing at that you can get the kind of style you like.

I'm just wondering if you set the options to install clouds at 1024 or 2048 or 4096? From wide shots like this its sometimes difficult to see the difference. It looks a little on the soft side for me but then I like a slightly harder look.

Peter
For this flight - my very firts flight with the SHD clouds (had no time for more :lol: ) I tried 2048 for the cumulus. No performance hits - so I'll try 4096 next.
Yes I like the soft look, but of course I will try different themes and create some myself!
I think, it all comes down to the situation.
The clouds outside my window look different every day, so I am glad to have options to change the in the sim with the help of FEX :lol:

@mhockey21:
Those specs look good enough to run FSX!
I first ran FSX on my AMD 64+ 3000 @1800mhz, ATI x850xt, 1gb ram. The ground was blurry most of the time if I took something faster than the ultralight on low flights, but sky and clouds looked fine. So with some tweaking you should get a nicely running FSX, if you don't pull your sliders too far right. :hrmm:
Here are some screenshots from my old system, jsut to show what this old puppy could do:
http://www.flightsim...x...=137042&hl=
http://www.flightsim...x...=133376&hl=

#83 Peter Wilding

Peter Wilding

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

Thanks Alex for that,

One thing to be careful of.

If after loading up FSX you make any changes to display settings then FSX writes back to the cfg and sets Max_texture_load_1024 which limits the clouds to just 1024 size.

So, while testing and tweaking always first start FEX. This will check the max texture load is set to 4096 in before you start FSX. This will mean any changes you did last time in FSX will ensure you can still see 4096 clouds.

There is a danger at the moment that if you change settings in FSX you may end up seeing clouds at 1024. Still good BTW but not as sharp when close up.

To solve this after making changes to FSX settings you must exit then start FEX then start FSX. Now you can be sure you'll have 4096 textures.