#1 Dennis.

Dennis.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hey everyone,

Ive realized after takeoff there's a ding - the same noise when the pilot calls the F/A's. Any reason for it/What does it mean?

Cheers :hrmm:

#2 Chief_Bean

Chief_Bean

Cruising at FL150

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,351 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

I think it might be something to do with the gear going up :hrmm:

It depends how early it sounds though I guess. I've heard the sound literally seconds after take off...

Edited by Chief_Bean, 15 August 2008 - 10:51 AM.

#3 gaz4uk

gaz4uk

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

Possibly an indication that the cabin crew can get out of their seats and do what they need to do? They are always up and moving about not long after take off, much sooner than passengers.

#4 Mr Smooth.

Mr Smooth.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

The ding sound indicates the F/As they can start working.

Ash.:hrmm:

#5 Dennis.

Dennis.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the help :hrmm: :hrmm:

Edited by Dennis., 15 August 2008 - 10:45 AM.

#6 Greeney

Greeney

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

In the airbus there is a ding when the wheels retract... is that what you are referring too?

#7 Don Grange

Don Grange

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

It's definitely the gear going up if you're in an airbus.

#8 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

It's a confirmations sounds that the gear is up and locked.

Why would you have a flight attendant start working on climb out? :hrmm:

#9 Skylinesvirtual

Skylinesvirtual

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

I can confirm you are all right. On an airbus especially.

there is a single BING straight after takeoff. This is the Emergency Exit Liights being extinguished automatically. this happens when the gear is being retracted/extended. Not when the gear is locked in place. it would be pretty pointless letting everone know that the gear was locked don't you think?

The crew on some airlines are released from their seats by the Seatbelt sign being Extinguished and Re-illuminated. Hence you will hear a double BING.

The crew are released as soon as it is safe to do so, usually below 5000ft, depending on weather. As soon as they sare released, they start working. The sooner the crew starts working, the more things the company sells and more money it makes.

Edited by Skylinesvirtual, 15 August 2008 - 03:57 PM.

#10 lambo8

lambo8

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

I think you need to be more specific of where you hear the sound. If your a passenger then its a indicator that the FAs can start doing their stuff but if its in the cockpit than its most probably the gear.

#11 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

It sounds stupid. It makes some people think the seat belt sign is turned off, so they just get out of their seats and roam around while the plane is at a 30 degree angle or so. Also, it seems pointless for flight attendants alone.

#12 _NW_

_NW_

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,119 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Aug 15 2008, 09:04 PM, said:

It sounds stupid. It makes some people think the seat belt sign is turned off, so they just get out of their seats and roam around while the plane is at a 30 degree angle or so. Also, it seems pointless for flight attendants alone.

Not really..  because there are tons of seat belt signs placed throughout the cabin...  

If you're referring to the ding from the cabin, like said earlier, it's the crew notifying the cabin crew they can walk about the cabin and start their serving.  Most times, the flight crew will not get on the intercom after take off below 10,000 feet to observe the sterile cockpit rule, so a simple cabin crew page works just fine.  There is also a blue light (I think it's blue) that you might see throughout the cabin, and that signifies the cabin crew to not call the flight crew, as they are observing a sterile cockpit (like on departure, arrival, or the approach phases below 10,000 feet...   however this will still come down to the airlines and their operating procedures and practices.

#13 Flightsimulatorpilot

Flightsimulatorpilot

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

View PostIndependence76, on Aug 15 2008, 10:04 PM, said:

I never saw or heard about someone getting up after the ding because they tought the seat belt sign was switched off. That's what the seat belt sign is for, and most passengers follow the sign. Also, almost all the time, airliners do not take off at a 30 degree angle.

#14 Independence76

Independence76

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

I'm talking about if there was some old guy who didn't know how to tell between the lights. You'd be surprised who some people on planes are like...

#15 MattGarner

MattGarner

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:01 AM

View PostIndependence76, on Aug 16 2008, 06:23 AM, said:

I'm talking about if there was some old guy who didn't know how to tell between the lights. You'd be surprised who some people on planes are like...

Well, I'm sure the passengers around him will help him realise that he needs to be sat down with his seatbelt on!

#16 Navy2

Navy2

Orville Reincarnate

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:06 AM

View PostMattGarner, on Aug 16 2008, 12:01 AM, said:

View PostIndependence76, on Aug 16 2008, 06:23 AM, said:

Well, I'm sure the passengers around him will help him realise that he needs to be sat down with his seatbelt on!
And the Air Marshall would have already have his gun drawn :hrmm:

#17 Adam.

Adam.

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:00 AM

If it is only one "ding" i don't know what that signifies. I flew yesterday and i never heard it. If it is two "dings" of the no smoking sign, it means that the F/As can move about. It happens after take-off and on landing to allow the F/As to sit down, stand up etc...

#18 Lewis Nicoletti

Lewis Nicoletti

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

My cousins a F/A, i shall try and find out! But i think its just to signify that everything is ok no ?
Because i know what a few other of the "DINGS" mean, like by counting them.

#19 cactidust

cactidust

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Looking at my video too, you also notice the two dings just before the aircraft (A319) crosses the active runway, what does this mean? I could only suppose its to do with crossing it and some safety feature?

#20 gaz4uk

gaz4uk

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Read what skylinesvirtual (Ben) said - He is cabin crew for Easyjet so knows what he's talking about :hrmm: