#1 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi all,

Just thought I would post this short article on tips to get smooth playback with FSrecorder, the great freeware recording module for FS2004 and FSX.  This mainly deals with the stutter problem that occurs when recording more than one aircraft in FSX.  This can be extremely frustrating, especially if you are trying to create an FSX video.  I have had quite a lot of trouble with this myself, and I think I may have finally got it under control.

1.)  Turn your display settings down to the bare minimum.  This will insure you get good and consistent framerate.  This is essential (at least it has been for me) when getting smooth traffic playback of previous recordings.

2.)  Lock your framerate at a value that is a factor of your monitor refresh rate.  This means if you have a monitor which refreshes at 60hz, you would want to lock your frames at either 60 or 30fps.  20fps may work, but I try to get 60fps if I can.  Turning the display settings down will allow for this consistent high framerate.

3.)  Turn off all AI.  You can also choose not to record it with FSrecorder.  Doing this stops FSrecorder from doing any unnecessary recording.  If of course you are filming AI, then you may want it turned on, but if not needed, leave it off.

4.)  Disable unneeded recorded data.  This can be done by going into your settings from FSrecorder menu.  Recording things such as com and nav radios does not do much good if your filming a video.

Posted Image

5.)   Disable the recording and playback dialogs.  These are the green bars that show up when recording and during playback.  They can be extremely useful for recording precise maneuvers, but this has been the biggest cause of my stutters.  Once I disabled them, I haven't had any major problems with jittery playback.  These can also be turned off under FSrecorder settings.

Posted Image

I hope these little tips help you in your quest for a smooth and seamless FSrecorder playback.  These are what I have been successful with, so they may or may not work for you.  Please feel free to comment or add your own tip!

cheers.

Edited by TopDollar, 06 January 2009 - 06:06 PM.

#2 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

6.)  When recording large formations, only play back one or two of the recordings to use as reference.  Playing all the tracks is usually unnecessary and can cause stutter problems.

#3 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

7.)  If all else fails, record in FS2004 and play back in FSX.  *Note* To do this you will probably have to substitute the aircraft you flew in FS9 with the one you want to film with FSX.  To do this you will need a .frc converter like gui converter or Conversion Tools available from
http://fs-recorder.net
Also keep in mind that although this will work for flying in the air, ground operations such as taxiing and takeoffs will most likely be off.