- - - - -

Uh Oh! Future of the MS Flight Simulator series in doubt?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#141 Continental180

Continental180

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 28 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

View PostValkyrie321, on Jan 28 2009, 02:33 PM, said:

Guys, the sky is not falling. Until you hear an official MS rep say the FS series is dead in the water like they did with Train Sim, all accounts say that they are either holding onto the series for the time being until the economy picks up and/or they are still working on it with a MUCH smaller team/outsourcing/etc.

Chill out.

Did you hear the Podcast?---they basically shuttered the ACES Studio---keeping a few staff to keep the current games computer code running! :hrmm:

ah first off, i didn't mean to thank you, or agree with you. i pressed wrong button.

I just want to say one thing. Yeah, so they shut it down for a year or 2, it will come back. Otherwise you keep the program running, and the chances of microsoft shutting down gets higher.

Most people don't exactly understand what the current situation is or how bad it is, because either you live overseas or just to young(and i do understand that the rest of the world is in the same boat, i get that), but many companies cant survive now, ex, GM, Ford, Airlines, Citigroup, Home Depot, and So many more. Companies need to lose the parts of their company that isnt making as much money, and is acting as dead weight.  And yes, your saying " not my flight sim", but the reality is, flight-sim is minor for microsoft.

Like i said before, desperate times call for desperate measures, and companies have to do whatever they can do to stay alive. period.

#142 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

If FSX is the last in the franchise--would not be so bad---with REX and other add-on's FSX is almost a totally new animal! I just wish a third-party developer would add some FOLLOW-ME vans and animated baggage handelers for FSX:l :hrmm:

Edited by franthree, 29 January 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#143 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

View Postfranthree, on Jan 29 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

If FSX is the last in the franchise--would not be so bad---with REX and other add-on's FSX is almost a totally new animal! I just wish a third-party developer would add some FOLLOW-ME vans and animated baggage handelers for FSX:l :hrmm:

We have AES for that

#144 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

There is no AES for FSX... YET.

#145 Nidhal

Nidhal

formerly Flying_Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Well simply another good reason to stick with FS9 anyway :hrmm:

#146 suddste

suddste

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

View PostValkyrie321, on Jan 30 2009, 11:14 AM, said:

There is no AES for FSX... YET.

ahh ok, I must have got mixed up with the updated version of AES, I thought they said FSX support.

#147 Jaggyroad Films

Jaggyroad Films

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'm willing to be wrong.

#148 joefoss

joefoss

Passenger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

wow! bummer dudes and as a dpermanently disabled cat forced into early retirement i wuzz just getting back into flight sims af5ter about a 10 year abscence.'
  i guess the Flightgear open source builders can really go nuts now.that's what i've beeb using since christmas, because i bought into the review rap that the world scenery and planes were both more plentiful.there are 200 some odd planes but i have yet to get my lcal east central illinois scenery to work.
   was just about to"pop" for ms ffs X gold and or X-plane 9 worth the expenditures my friends?
and is there a flight sim for idiots that hardly anyone could crash on?

#149 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:02 PM

Welcome back to the hobby, joefoss.  I wouldn't worry too much about this announcement from a hobbyist point of view - FSX is still around and will be the defacto sim for the foreseeable future.  Grab it and as many of the addons as you can afford. :hrmm:  

And to answer your last question, lower your realism settings and/or turn off crash detection. Voila!

#150 AirFranceSST

AirFranceSST

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Computer Technology will get better as time goes by. By then, todays "high end" computers will be available to most people and FSX will have no problems running.

FSX will be the new FS9 that will work nicely on PC's in the near future.

Edited by Saleen757, 04 February 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#151 diver3074

diver3074

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

The near future is no good, it should be working now. Flogging a dead horse come to mind. Like I have mentioned in other posts, why cant they delvelop enhancements and upgrades instead of new sims for new computers.

#152 franthree

franthree

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

I just heard Podcast no.2 of FSBreak--I think Mircosoft Flight Simulator is not quite dead! :hrmm:

#153 LukeK

LukeK

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

View PostContinental180, on Jan 29 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

I just want to say one thing. Yeah, so they shut it down for a year or 2, it will come back.

Not in anything remotely close to what it was. When you get rid of the development staff, with collective decades of experiences with the FS engine, you're done. You can't just restart where you left off - you'll need to recruit a new staff and get them up to speed with an old and complicated code base.

Even if Microsoft changed their minds tomorrow, if the ACES folks didn't come back and they needed to get a new team, it'd be 2011 or 2012 before they got something new out the door.

Luke

#154 Mango

Mango

Contributor\First Class Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,952 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:45 AM

http://paul-flightsi...mp;sa=915032853

#155 EZYFlyer

EZYFlyer

Student Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:19 AM

I don't think we've got anything to worry about.

What happened when Train Sim was no more?  Other companies developed much better versions of the software.

This can only be good news as until now no commercial company has had a chance against MS really.  Now they can all fight against each other and develop better products to out-do one another.

The other thing is that FSX has years of life left yet.  Addons still are not being developed to their potential for FSX, even though the software is clearly light years ahead of all other incarnations of FS.

As long as the addons keep coming, we will have plenty of years left until we are really pressing for a new sim!

#156 Brad

Brad

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

View PostMango, on Feb 5 2009, 01:45 AM, said:

Good news!