55 replies to this topic

#1 .Ben

.Ben

formerly Ben.

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Ok, so recently I bought x-plane because it's got to the point where it is just too tedious to boot into Windows to play FSX.

Obviously being new to the new simulator I have a few questions.

How come when I load the game I suddenly end up on a runway in some romote location instead of a main menu?
I knew the graphics weren't going to be as good as fsx but why are they not as good as the YouTube videos I've seen?
Is it true that even after installing the 60gb of scenery you can only fly to airports in North America?
Is there a faster way to callibrate my joystick so it's exactly like fsx?
And why is it not in full screen?!?!?

Any help would be appreciated :hrmm:

#2 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

hover your mouse at the top of the screen for the menu to pop up. and yes you can set all the buttons and keys to make it like FS. The graphics are way better than fsx, and there is only default airport you have to download the ones you want or convert FS airports.  the game always starts in the last location you left.  also be sure to update x-plane its up to 2.2 and the newest updates are critical

Edited by jcovelli, 25 January 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#3 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

And thats why FS is better :hrmm:

Ive considered buying it, but youve basically just summed up why i didn't.

#4 Ubeans2001

Ubeans2001

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

X-Plane is waaaayy better than FS but the scenery and aircraft panels are terrible. Everything else is excellent, especially when it comes to Stability and CTDs.  :hrmm:

#5 avalon

avalon

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

View PostUbeans2001, on Jan 25 2009, 05:23 PM, said:

X-Plane is waaaayy better than FS but the scenery and aircraft panels are terrible. Everything else is excellent, especially when it comes to Stability and CTDs.  :hrmm:

I don't know about others but to me, scenery is 90 percent of the experience.  I would get bored without it.  I love flying and learning all about the instruments and proper execution, etc, but the visuals are what gets me going the most.

#6 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

* x-plane is up to 9.2 not 2.2  my bad typo

#7 lauren

lauren

Private Pilot - VFR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

View Postjcovelli, on Jan 25 2009, 06:10 PM, said:

* x-plane is up to 9.2 not 2.2  my bad typo
It's X-Plane 9.22.

#8 VFR_Pierre

VFR_Pierre

Cruising at FL110

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,543 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

FSX does look much better, but has worse flight dynamics and stuff. But a lot more add-ons to make up for it.

#9 Mohammad

Mohammad

Supersonic

• Members
  • 22,466 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:33 AM

View Postavalon, on Jan 25 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

I don't know about others but to me, scenery is 90 percent of the experience.  I would get bored without it.  I love flying and learning all about the instruments and proper execution, etc, but the visuals are what gets me going the most.
Aye, Im with you on that one! Scenery is the most important thing for me, its one of the reasons why I love airplanes and flying.

#10 .Ben

.Ben

formerly Ben.

• Members/Edit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

So does anyone want to answer my questions..?

- How do I make it full screen?
- Why do my graphics look poor (I know they shouldn't be because I've seen YouTube videos and my graphics card is still pretty good)

#11 Brandon-M

Brandon-M

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

Sorry, none of us play it :hrmm:

Im guessing that the scenery is addon mabey?

You'd probs get better responses on a dedicated forum

#12 pyruvate

pyruvate

Orville Reincarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

View PostMohammad, on Jan 27 2009, 01:03 PM, said:

View Postavalon, on Jan 25 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

Aye, Im with you on that one! Scenery is the most important thing for me, its one of the reasons why I love airplanes and flying.

During my free time, I'd rather just go up and enjoy the view and beauty of it, rather than be worried about the physics. :hrmm:

#13 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

View Post.Ben, on Jan 27 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

- Why do my graphics look poor (I know they shouldn't be because I've seen YouTube videos and my graphics card is still pretty good)

rendering options under settings in the menu. you have enter the screen resolution and choose higher graphic settings

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jcovelli, 27 January 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#14 wynthorpe

wynthorpe

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

Stick your Xplane shots in my Xplane thread in the screenshots forum dude :hrmm:

#15 MrSteve

MrSteve

Airline Transport Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

View Post.Ben, on Jan 27 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

Ben... You are much better off going to http://www.x-plane.org . They will help you to no end, but what ever you do (not that you are) don't act like 10 year old over there (like some do here), they are a different type of simmer over there, most are pro pilots and so on, so they like to be talked to in a correct manner, you know like how 2 adults talk to each other :hrmm: .

Sorry I couldn't help better then the above... But I will say this, if you want to put a few extra $ into the Sim, you will get what you are looking for in AC/panels/airports. Yes out of the Box FSX has better eye candy, but x-plane flys much better, you just have to add the AC/airport eye candy. AND x-plane was built to run 100% on your system, have fun, good luck.

Edited by MrSteve, 27 January 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#16 jcovelli

jcovelli

Private Pilot - IFR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

View Postwynthorpe, on Jan 27 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

Stick your Xplane shots in my Xplane thread in the screenshots forum dude :hrmm:

i never go to the screen shots forum.. i guess i should haha

#17 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

don't act like 10 year old over there (like some do here), they are a different type of simmer over there, most are pro pilots and so on, so they like to be talked to in a correct manner, you know like how 2 adults talk to each other

I was basically banned on X-plane.org after I tried to start a discussion of why (that is, I was wondering if it was X-plane limitations or whether there was no development through no interest as x-plane users weren't aware of what they were missing out on) MSFS is better than X-plane in the case of airliner simulation. The topic was locked and I reposted it..then I was put on mod review (and I still am).

No insults, nothing at all, actually. I personally find them to be bitter and pretentious. Unable to have the realism of their precious simulator questioned which in the case of airliners is severely lacking.

#18 Buziel-411_RED

Buziel-411_RED

Screenshot Hotshot Nov '11

• Members
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

View Postdolbinau, on Jan 27 2009, 04:38 PM, said:

don't act like 10 year old over there (like some do here), they are a different type of simmer over there, most are pro pilots and so on, so they like to be talked to in a correct manner, you know like how 2 adults talk to each other

I was basically banned on X-plane.org after I tried to start a discussion of why (that is, I was wondering if it was X-plane limitations or whether there was no development through no interest as x-plane users weren't aware of what they were missing out on) MSFS is better than X-plane in the case of airliner simulation. The topic was locked and I reposted it..then I was put on mod review (and I still am).

No insults, nothing at all, actually. I personally find them to be bitter and pretentious. Unable to have the realism of their precious simulator questioned which in the case of airliners is severely lacking.

Physics and eye candy aside, that is another thing X-Plane lacks; a good community.

#19 TopDollar

TopDollar

Commercial Pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

I want to like xplane, but something about it is just off.  I don't consider it more realistic than FS.  Say all you want about "better flight dynamics" but the aircraft themselves and the lack of any sort of realistic cockpit is just too much of a killer for me.  In the hands of a good developer, an FSX plane can be extremely realistic and fly *exactly* like the real aircraft does.  Being realistic for me not only includes flying like the real thing...but also looking like it.  Case in point..

Posted Image

#20 dolbinau

dolbinau

Download Manager

• Download Manager
  • 16,148 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

. Say all you want about "better flight dynamics" but the aircraft themselves and the lack of any sort of realistic cockpit is just too much of a killer for me.

Exactly. People make out as if MSFS is a game, but the more basic the panel/systems are the more arcade-ish the flying experience will be.